ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF NXL24 vs. JTR Noesis 3TX  (Read 9938 times)

Jay Marr

RCF NXL24 vs. JTR Noesis 3TX
« on: November 05, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »

Has anyone had the pleasure of working with both of these boxes and can comment on which they prefer?

Use would be for rock/cover band, usually over a JBL SRX728 (or two 718 subs).  So one top to a dual 18" bottom.
300-500 person rooms.

Curious if anyone has opinions on differences in regards to clarity, headroom (JTR Driven by iTech4k...or 6k if needed), dispersion, etc.?

Are they night and day different?  If you had to chose, is it an easy choice (and why)?
Let's assume these are your only 2 options and the cost is extremely close.

Thanks for any insight/opinions.

Geert Friedhof

Re: RCF NXL24 vs. JTR Noesis 3TX
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 11:42:47 PM »

Don't know the JTR, but the NXL24 isn't going to produce enough oomph for a rockband., so for me the choice would be easy.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:45:12 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 03:48:23 AM »

Don't know the JTR, but the NXL24 isn't going to produce enough oomph for a rockband., so for me the choice would be easy.

Well, define, "enough oomph". He hasn't indicated how loudly he usually runs his shows. I run rock/cover bands and mostly keep my levels between 95 and 105dB. Either speaker would suffice in that case. When I get into larger rooms, I simply use delay stacks.

To the OP...I own another NX series model, the NX 45-A, and they do indeed sound crystal clear. (I have a few paragraphs in the Product Review forum on them.) But then, the 45's have larger vc's than the 24's.

I have also used home-made speakers that utilized the same BMS coaxial horn drivers as the Noesis 3TX. They also sound amazingly clean.

Both speakers will certainly make you smile at moderate volumes. But like Geert has indicated, where the differences may lie is at the hotter end of the level meter. When pushed to their limit, the BMS coaxial drivers will probably stay cleaner and more natural sounding. Larger voice coils generally sound/perform better when stressed. You may discover this performance difference in the heat of the night sometime while doing outdoor work. Again, depending on whether or not you are a slave-driver toward your system.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:10:50 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:51:15 AM »

A few of the members on this board have the db tech ig4t which is similar to the nxl24 and have given great reviews.

I've used the ig and they sound great if used with subs and have really good clarity.  From what I have heard, the nxl24 has a slight edge in sound but that is subjective.

Going off what Geert said, comparing the ig4t to something like a RCF tt2a (standard speaker design), there is a different feel.  The tt has a bigger overall sound and a good amount of punch more (it should for the price and design) and the ig has a softer sound but still goes loud with plenty of detail. Dare I say the Ig has more warmth but less depth and dimension? I have used them with rock bands and they sounded great (thanks Nate Zifra).

Doubled up, the ig or nxl24 would be a scary thing. Overall I prefer the tt but there are also some areas where I prefer the ig4t.  These columns sound very good.

If you are used to a standard speaker design, the columns do have a different feel.  I have not heard the JTR but I'd really like to.

I'm not sure what you've been using but the jtr or nxl24 would be big improvement over your standard k, kw, prx, srx, etc.

Sorry if my post goes off topic, I was just offering my experience with one of the type of speakers your are asking about. 

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »

I have not used the NXL24 but I do have a pair of 3TX. They are very clear & go very loud - my biggest gigs have had them just flicking the -20 db light on a Crown XTI6002. I do mostly DJ/Dance Music shows so I imagine they would be even louder for R&R. I get compliments every time I use them out on how clear and great they sound.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Jay Marr

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 10:25:58 PM »

Keep in mind..rock cover band.
I have some NXL24s today and over srx728s, the have more oomph than I'll ever need for my indoor gigs.

I'm looking for another set of tops for when I need 2 systems on one day. Debating one set of JTRs, but also maybe 2 sets and sell the NXL24s.
Based on timing, I may not be able to buy one pair of JTRs and compare.  I may need to sell te NXLs first.

Anyway, still hoping someone has heard them both and can comment.

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 11:32:31 PM »

Keep in mind..rock cover band.
I have some NXL24s today and over srx728s, the have more oomph than I'll ever need for my indoor gigs.

I'm looking for another set of tops for when I need 2 systems on one day. Debating one set of JTRs, but also maybe 2 sets and sell the NXL24s.
Based on timing, I may not be able to buy one pair of JTRs and compare.  I may need to sell te NXLs first.

Anyway, still hoping someone has heard them both and can comment.

A second set of nxl wouldn’t be a bad move. It would give you two systems for smaller stuff and you could link two per side if you need the output. A plus for the nxl would be it being modular.

I understand where you are at though. You want best quality.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:21:43 AM »

A few of the members on this board have the db tech ig4t which is similar to the nxl24 and have given great reviews.

I've used the ig and they sound great if used with subs and have really good clarity.  From what I have heard, the nxl24 has a slight edge in sound but that is subjective.

Going off what Geert said, comparing the ig4t to something like a RCF tt2a (standard speaker design), there is a different feel.  The tt has a bigger overall sound and a good amount of punch more (it should for the price and design) and the ig has a softer sound but still goes loud with plenty of detail. Dare I say the Ig has more warmth but less depth and dimension? I have used them with rock bands and they sounded great (thanks Nate Zifra).

Doubled up, the ig or nxl24 would be a scary thing. Overall I prefer the tt but there are also some areas where I prefer the ig4t.  These columns sound very good.

If you are used to a standard speaker design, the columns do have a different feel.  I have not heard the JTR but I'd really like to.

I'm not sure what you've been using but the jtr or nxl24 would be big improvement over your standard k, kw, prx, srx, etc.

Sorry if my post goes off topic, I was just offering my experience with one of the type of speakers your are asking about.

I had my IG4T's out for a 650 Cap. sit down show last weekend. No problem at all.  Rock cover's.  Sadly a high wind and rain storm took out the power several times and after 1/2 hour lengths with no power the crowd gave up.  Benefit show. All band members but 1 on in ears.  No guitar amps on stage just peddles from the guitars and even the bass guitar plugged directly into $20 Di boxes.  When the tops are on the subs I use the IG4T's internal crossover set to 110hz and the subs off an Aux set to 110hz as well . Seems solid and punchy to me and I love a 40lb box!   I agree also that 2 aside should really be great. I have a show in a few weeks that is small enough for just 1 sub and the 2 IG4T's to be stacked on top. I'll report back. 
  I'll post a very bad cell phone video.  I was stage right close to center in the back of the room.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNslN6vhOk 

Douglas R. Allen

Mal Brown

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 10:12:11 AM »

A second set of nxl wouldn’t be a bad move. It would give you two systems for smaller stuff and you could link two per side if you need the output. A plus for the nxl would be it being modular.

I understand where you are at though. You want best quality.

How well do the nxl’s array ?  Or the JTR’s for that matter...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »

How well do the nxl’s array ?  Or the JTR’s for that matter...

The JTRs can be ordered with either a 60x40 or 90x60 rotatable horn.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.