ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal not coming through stage monitors  (Read 4339 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Vocal not coming through stage monitors
« on: November 05, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »

Good afternoon, everyone.  Thank you in advance for your help. 

I have one mic on stage that is not coming through the stage monitors.  Everything else on stage is coming through just fine.  Except this one mic.  It is our B3 player.  His mic is running through a Hotshot for talk-back to the band.  That works fine.  The band members can hear him fine in their ears.  Likewise, his vocal is coming through the mains just fine (he sometimes leads a song or two).  However, when we turn his vocal up in Mix 1 (stage monitors), nothing happens.  No matter what, his vocal won’t come through those stage monitors.

I am stumped to be honest.  How can it be coming through the Hotshot and the mains just fine, and not the monitors?  I need some direction, please.  Not asking for hand-out.  Just help me get on the right track to figure this out.
QU32 mixer

EV ZLX Passive stage monitors
Dynacord power amp for monitors

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
Re: Vocal not coming through stage monitors
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »

What is your mixer?  It sounds like it's not being sent to the mix1 bus.

Laurence Nefzger

• Kirkland, WA USA
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »

I am stumped to be honest.  How can it be coming through the Hotshot and the mains just fine, and not the monitors?  I need some direction, please.  Not asking for hand-out.  Just help me get on the right track to figure this out.
QU32 mixer

EV ZLX Passive stage monitors
Dynacord power amp for monitors
[/quote]
Sounds like that mic is muted at the aux send. It is possible to mute sends to auxes without having it muted in the main L&R.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 12:40:37 PM »

What changed?  I presume this worked at one time.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »

What changed?  I presume this worked at one time.

That's one of the questions I asked, Tim.  One of the singers that uses those stage monitors said "well, we've always had a hard time hearing him.  And when we've asked FOH to turn him up, we just assumed it was getting turned up." 

To which I responded, "like a placebo affect, where you think it's louder, but it's really not?".  And he agreed.

We've only had our new system for a year now.  So we are still having small issues like this from time to time. 

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »

Sounds like that mic is muted at the aux send. It is possible to mute sends to auxes without having it muted in the main L&R.

Hmmm..interesting.  I'll have to look at that.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 05:51:02 PM »

Hmmm..interesting.  I'll have to look at that.

On the left side of the console there are two buttons labeled prefade and Assign. Bring up his mix and hit that assign button. If his channel doesn't light up hit the green button on his channel  to assign it to the proper mix.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »

On the left side of the console there are two buttons labeled prefade and Assign. Bring up his mix and hit that assign button. If his channel doesn't light up hit the green button on his channel  to assign it to the proper mix.
I also have a feeling this is the case. Before you DO assign that channel, be sure to pull the fader down on that mix in case it’s been raised to the point where it could feedback when you do engage it. That should be a given anyways, but just in case.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 10:47:25 PM »

This is exactly what it was. It’s fixed now.  Thank you so much!! I did not realize I could decide what gets sent to the aux. I learned something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 10:48:10 PM »

I also have a feeling this is the case. Before you DO assign that channel, be sure to pull the fader down on that mix in case it’s been raised to the point where it could feedback when you do engage it. That should be a given anyways, but just in case.

I’m glad you said that. I did turn it down before engaging it. Thanks for the pro tip.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »

I’m glad you said that. I did turn it down before engaging it. Thanks for the pro tip.

Isaac, you are a real gentleman.  I have helped you on other issues and I must say you are one of the most polite, positive people I have come across.

Bill Schnake
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »

Isaac, you are a real gentleman.  I have helped you on other issues and I must say you are one of the most polite, positive people I have come across.

Bill Schnake

Thank you, Bill. I’m just so thankful that you guys and gals are willing to help me. Something that would take me a long time to learn on my own. And you guys offer help so freely and quickly. It’s much appreciated!

If you’re ever in the KY area, let me know. I’d love to get some hands on experience with someone like yourself (or anyone on here).

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 07:19:18 PM »

Isaac,

I would encourage you to spend some time looking through the screens on the QU-32-maybe best if you learn how to save your settings as a scene though.

I have been using a QU-32 for a couple of years now-and I have to admit I have never assigned or chose pre/post fade using Kemper's method-though I have frequently changed these settings for too many reasons to go into.

If you select a channel, the choose the "Routing" button next to the touch screen, then select the "Mix Send" tab, you will see (and be able to change) all of the mix sends for that channel.  Other tabs here give even more fun options.

I learn best by wanting to do something and figuring it out-but 30 minutes reading/skimming the manual will give you a idea of where to look.  Then there is always reading other posts and learning something new like I did as well!
Steve Swaffer

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 12:33:27 AM »

This is exactly what it was. It’s fixed now.  Thank you so much!! I did not realize I could decide what gets sent to the aux. I learned something.

You're welcome. While there are several ways to route things on the QU, the two buttons there are the quickest and easiest way to check on mix assignments..

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 02:51:40 AM »

Another way to do the same thing if you’re using the iPad app. You can select
 “Mix 1”, go to the channel and select/deselect “On” and “Pre”.

I’ve also heard it’s possible to bump these when scrolling through channels...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 02:51:40 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.