ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options for DI box for keyboards  (Read 2677 times)

Warren Groenewald

Options for DI box for keyboards
« on: November 05, 2018, 07:39:41 AM »

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

We have two keyboards in our church, both are Yamaha P115 or P105. They have a mono unbalanced TS line out that I need to run down to my desk.

I know I'd need a DI box for this, but currently I only own the Samson MCD2 Pro AV DI box https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SAMCD2PRO--samson-mcd2-pro-2-channel-passive-a-v-direct-box

While not ideal, do you think I should be able to run the one piano's mono line out to the left channel, and the other way to the right channel and run the XLR left/right down to my mixer? It does mean that I won't be able to manage the attenuation on each separately, but I don't think that should be a problem since both piano's are the same?

Thanks so much for the input.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Options for DI box for keyboards
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:35:16 AM »

For the time being sure it will work assuming they are relatively close to each other. The whole idea of going into the DI is to decrease the distance of the unbalanced line. I usually use a 1.5 Meter jack to jack so it just reaches the ground and then go straight to the DI. I think the most you will want to use it a 3 meter but even that is pushing it.

In the end I would suggest getting some budget to buy some DIs just to have. You never know when you pastor is going to invite some guest band with 3 keyboards and 2 acoustic guitars and you have no spare DIs available.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:37:18 AM »

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

We have two keyboards in our church, both are Yamaha P115 or P105. They have a mono unbalanced TS line out that I need to run down to my desk.

I know I'd need a DI box for this, but currently I only own the Samson MCD2 Pro AV DI box https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SAMCD2PRO--samson-mcd2-pro-2-channel-passive-a-v-direct-box

While not ideal, do you think I should be able to run the one piano's mono line out to the left channel, and the other way to the right channel and run the XLR left/right down to my mixer? It does mean that I won't be able to manage the attenuation on each separately, but I don't think that should be a problem since both piano's are the same?

Thanks so much for the input.
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do.  Your DI box is a "stereo" DI, but what it really is is two separate mono DIs in one enclosure.  If your two keyboards are close enough that you can get a line from one keyboard into the "left" side of this DI and a line from the other keyboard into the "right" side of this DI, that's perfectly fine, and assuming you patch the sends from the DI into two mono channels to your mixer instead of a stereo input, you should have full control of the two mono signals - input gain/attenuation and everything else.

Warren Groenewald

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »

Thanks both for your response, good to know that it should essentially work - albeit not ideal in some situations.
I'll look at getting a few DI boxes soon

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:01:07 AM »

Where are you situated Warren?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Warren Groenewald

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:10:29 AM »

Where are you situated Warren?

Cape Town, South Africa

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:10:29 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.