ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why ask for the moon, while only willing to pay for a 3 stop bus fare  (Read 12080 times)

Geert Friedhof

'I want [insert high expectation], but i don't want to pay any reasonable amount of money for it.'

A kot of topics are about this.

If something like that would exist, it would be known.

My rant.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:47:35 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Why ask for the moon, while only willing to pay for a 3 stop bus fare
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:24:05 PM »

I want (insert high expectation), but i don't want to pay any reasonably amount of money for it.

A kot of topics are about this.

If something like that would exist, it would be known.

My rant.
Exactly!  Just nailed 80% of all topics

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 11:00:45 AM »

That's the common mentality for a LOT of things.

And then people end up buying cheap look-alike products and wondering why they don't work anywhere near as well as the real stuff.
Brian Jojade

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »

I think this applies to our industry not only from a fixed good consumption standpoint, but also from a customer/service standpoint as well.  Oftentimes clients aren't willing to pay a professional price for professional service because there are plenty of people out there who work for very cheap or even free.  While I'm certainly not one to judge another's hobby, playing jobs for free hurts the industry as a whole, as if often discussed here.  While most of my clients understand why I and others charge what we do for dependable reliable service, I've lost many jobs to people offer to work for free.  Sometimes the client comes back a year later apologizing for making such a terrible mistake, but not always... 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 12:11:50 AM »

I think this applies to our industry not only from a fixed good consumption standpoint, but also from a customer/service standpoint as well.  Oftentimes clients aren't willing to pay a professional price for professional service because there are plenty of people out there who work for very cheap or even free.

My day job is IT. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to “moonlight” except for my closest family and friends. (I've basically prohibited my mother from asking anyone else for IT help, based on past scams.)

I don't want to take business away from my employer. Also, I don't want my job to be my hobby, too. If I go to a friend's house after work, I want to visit not work on their computer. If they want me to work on their computer, I'll do it during regular business hours and send them a bill from my company. It's good to keep business and friendship relationships separate.

That said, I do sound as a hobby. I don't advertise; I only do it for friends and casual acquaintances. But I don't do it for free; not only do I value my time and expertise; their use of the equipment represents tangible depreciation that must be recouped.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »

That mindset is prevalent in almost any industry you look in. Everyone is always looking for the "best deal" and will go with Uncle Jim's House of Noisemakers and Flashing Lights™ just because they're a fraction of what you charge. 
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:24:01 AM »

Uncle Jim's House of Noisemakers and Flashing Lights™

That deserves to be a real company!

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »

That mindset is prevalent in almost any industry you look in. Everyone is always looking for the "best deal" and will go with Uncle Jim's House of Noisemakers and Flashing Lights™ just because they're a fraction of what you charge.

The amount a client is willing to pay is based on the corporate, social or political price of embarrassing failure, and the perceived likelihood of that happening.  That is why Uncle Jim gets the gig until someone looses their job, gets demoted or is severely thrashed about the head, neck and shoulders in social media postings.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »

I have groups calling me to borrow mics and stuff because...hold for it...the student production services crews want to charge !!! $5 for a mic rental!!!

I say no we don't have those. Call the local sound guys and see what they want....

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 08:36:11 PM »

Well... I'm a pushover and take more low-pay/free jobs than I should in the community. :-[ Put it in the "giving back" can?

Be that as it may...

I got a note from someone in the community asking for me to do sound for one of those "spiritual seminar" type speakers who was charging the folks coming $70 or so a head and was expecting about 300 at someplace downtown.  Somehow she thought it would help my karma, spiritual health or such if I were to volunteer to take the job as a freebee.  And, I'd get the seminar to boot!  Wouldn't that have been payment enough, just to be in his presence?  Yes, those parts were actually verbalized. :o

This was so wrong on so many levels, I can't even speak to it.  This is one little boy that finally did say no.  One of those things one always remembers how it still grates on one's nerves. >:(

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 08:36:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.