ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on replacing capacitors  (Read 5706 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Advice on replacing capacitors
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:38:48 AM »

When replacing PS filtering in lower rail things like a DBX noise gate do you have to voltage limit the initial power up like you do with a 450v tube amp?  I don't have a variac but somewhere in the garage I have a setup with a lamp socket in series.  As the caps take their initial charge you can see the brightness of the lamp change.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »

When replacing PS filtering in lower rail things like a DBX noise gate do you have to voltage limit the initial power up like you do with a 450v tube amp?  I don't have a variac but somewhere in the garage I have a setup with a lamp socket in series.  As the caps take their initial charge you can see the brightness of the lamp change.

Don't worry about it. When the gear was built they soldered in the caps and turned on the power. The advice to bring the voltage up slowly on big electrolytic caps applies to antique gear that's been sitting unpowered for decades, and might not matter even in that case. JR, others, what do you think? -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »

No... new electrolytic caps come already formed, ready to fire up with rated voltage.

In 15 years at peavey I experienced one batch of noisy DC blocking caps. In hindsight I suspect they were no properly formed in by the capacitor manufacturer.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 08:13:32 AM »

You might keep an eye out for tantalum caps - they tend to be spherical blobs, and can dry out over time like electrolytics.

Good catch, Scott. I found a tantalum cap that is shorted out (1.2 ohms on DC ohmmeter), causing the +15VDC rail to ground out.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 12:42:15 PM »

Good catch, Scott. I found a tantalum cap that is shorted out (1.2 ohms on DC ohmmeter), causing the +15VDC rail to ground out.
Tantalums are bad for shorting out

I have replaced MANY in various consoles over the years
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 12:42:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.