ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Initial Brick Wall Limiter settings for IEM mix  (Read 3906 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Initial Brick Wall Limiter settings for IEM mix
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 12:12:21 AM »

If the band or individual performers want this done I'm happy to help, but they need to know that genuinely effective protection will likely result is some level of sonic compromise to their IEMs as they hear them.  For the level most users seem to want their buds at, protection will need to engage early to provide any meaningful protection.

I might be doing it wrong, but I've always set my brick wall limiters so that they shouldn't kick in under normal conditions. A peak compressor with a ratio of 100:1, with a 0ms attack and a reasonable release, and a threshold set just above the the highest peak during the loudest part of sound check (and then verified during the show) can still offer some protection without altering the sound the artist hears at all (unless something goes south, obviously). If the gain reduction meter blinks (and something wasn't exploding at the time), then the threshold gets bumped up until it stops.

-Russ

Barry Reynolds

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 11:38:47 AM »

I might be doing it wrong, but I've always set my brick wall limiters so that they shouldn't kick in under normal conditions. A peak compressor with a ratio of 100:1, with a 0ms attack and a reasonable release, and a threshold set just above the the highest peak during the loudest part of sound check (and then verified during the show) can still offer some protection without altering the sound the artist hears at all (unless something goes south, obviously). If the gain reduction meter blinks (and something wasn't exploding at the time), then the threshold gets bumped up until it stops.

-Russ
Thanks, Russ.  This sounds like a complete strategy to me.  I’ll do this first in rehearsal, then at sound check, then maybe watch for gain reduction on a dedicated iPad page during a gig.  Best I can do as a playing IEM “engineer.”

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 11:38:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.