ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Asset tags and ID labels? Rental mgmt and quoting/invoicing software?  (Read 11599 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail

Going through some growing pains here. . .

I've been doing manual equipment lists when dropping off gear for rentals but it's sub-optimal. I recently did a film shoot and rented out a bunch of gear from my home studio for a couple days for set dressing. I was on set working but gear got shuffled and comingled during the course of setting up shots. I ended up walking off the shoot without a couple pairs of studio monitors. The gear got found but I had no labels on anything and I'd like to figure out a solution for the future and for the rest of my inventory.

We are still two man shop so I don't know that putting in a full bar code scanner system is the right move yet, but I'd like to put something on my gear to ID things. Also I'd like to have company ID on a label to help people return any missing gear in the future.

I guess the question is, what is the best process for this?

Bar code tags?
QR Code tags?
Separate company info stickers?
Where to source them?
Something that interfaces with rental management software that I don't have yet?

Things are taking off, gigs are getting bigger and I'm slowly getting buried in paperwork doing quotes and invoices manually using Apple Numbers and Pages and emailing PDF's.

I know that all these functions SHOULD be integrated, but is there a cost effective way to do it for a smaller operator ?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Asset tags and ID labels? Rental mgmt and quoting/invoicing software?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »

Going through some growing pains here. . .

I've been doing manual equipment lists when dropping off gear for rentals but it's sub-optimal. I recently did a film shoot and rented out a bunch of gear from my home studio for a couple days for set dressing. I was on set working but gear got shuffled and comingled during the course of setting up shots. I ended up walking off the shoot without a couple pairs of studio monitors. The gear got found but I had no labels on anything and I'd like to figure out a solution for the future and for the rest of my inventory.

We are still two man shop so I don't know that putting in a full bar code scanner system is the right move yet, but I'd like to put something on my gear to ID things. Also I'd like to have company ID on a label to help people return any missing gear in the future.

I guess the question is, what is the best process for this?

Bar code tags?
QR Code tags?
Separate company info stickers?
Where to source them?
Something that interfaces with rental management software that I don't have yet?

Things are taking off, gigs are getting bigger and I'm slowly getting buried in paperwork doing quotes and invoices manually using Apple Numbers and Pages and emailing PDF's.

I know that all these functions SHOULD be integrated, but is there a cost effective way to do it for a smaller operator ?
Have you looked at rentman.com?

It's everything I had hoped our open soirce project would be (except free).  Modern amd browser based.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »

Asset tags are essential even if you don't have them integrated with software, other than maybe a database (even a spreadsheet) to help keep track of repairs and warranty status.

We've generally gotten our tags from Metalcraft, but more recently are printing our own on a P-Touch printer with a custom report in our rental software (HireTrack NX).  The nice thing about printing your own is that you can make several copies (in different sizes even) of the same serialized tag to put in several locations.

Cables all get custom-printed velcro ties from Bardsco (they're sort of a rep for Cord-Lox?), and also most of them get custom-printed heatshrink from Conquest.  The heatshrink also helps implement a color code for cable lengths.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »

Asset tags are essential even if you don't have them integrated with software, other than maybe a database (even a spreadsheet) to help keep track of repairs and warranty status.

We've generally gotten our tags from Metalcraft, but more recently are printing our own on a P-Touch printer with a custom report in our rental software (HireTrack NX).  The nice thing about printing your own is that you can make several copies (in different sizes even) of the same serialized tag to put in several locations.

Cables all get custom-printed velcro ties from Bardsco (they're sort of a rep for Cord-Lox?), and also most of them get custom-printed heatshrink from Conquest.  The heatshrink also helps implement a color code for cable lengths.
Agree,  asset tags on everything

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »

I'm not sure that sort of obvious labeling on a mic would fly for corporate work.  I've never worked a corporate gig where labeling that obvious (and un-camera-friendly) would fly.  Most other equipment is pretty easy to label though.  For some mics you can label inside them or just put a dab of colored paint (or nail polish) in the middle of the three pins of the XLR.  Some shops use an engraver to etch a small identifier into the shell of mics that have no other option too.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »

I'm not sure that sort of obvious labeling on a mic would fly for corporate work.  I've never worked a corporate gig where labeling that obvious (and un-camera-friendly) would fly.  Most other equipment is pretty easy to label though.  For some mics you can label inside them or just put a dab of colored paint (or nail polish) in the middle of the three pins of the XLR.  Some shops use an engraver to etch a small identifier into the shell of mics that have no other option too.

The qlx-d is labeled in the battery compartment.    You are right, if I needed to bring wired mics to a gig with IMAG this would be an issue. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 08:44:33 PM »

20 years ago we put smal stickers on the outside, and put uv markings on the inside. Sometimes we engraved things (avalon, foucusrite etc) on the frame. Point being is: mark it obviously, but always have a hidden marking.

The same company has now rfid tags, as much as possible.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:53:07 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »

I used stick on labels for years with my company name, phone, logo and they were easily peeled off.  Customers complained that the labels on mics looked ugly on camera so those came off first.  Eventually we decided on the KISS principle.  Everything too small for a stencil is marked with paint markers.

LINK
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:30:07 PM by Mac Kerr »

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 10:48:06 PM »

I looked at Rentman a while ago but it doesn't look like it will integrate with quickbooks. Currently looking at Intellievent but that's super spendy. Also looking at RentalPoint, which does what I want but I'd need to set up hosting for the package.

Taking another look at rentman and will email them to see how they integrate with QB and CC payment processing, since Square isn't cutting the mustard for deposits, either.

Have you looked at rentman.com?

It's everything I had hoped our open soirce project would be (except free).  Modern amd browser based.

I'll have to look into UV marking equipment for visible gear like mics and stands. That would be an elegant solution that I can inspect without even having to touch the gear in someone else bag or case.

20 years ago we put smal stickers on the outside, and put uv markings on the inside. Sometimes we engraved things (avalon, foucusrite etc) on the frame. Point being is: mark it obviously, but always have a hidden marking.

The same company has now rfid tags, as much as possible.

I've about had it with Rip-tie velcro stuff. I much prefer tie line and you can't beat the price. Custom printed colored heat shrink would be great, the length ID thing is a nice touch. Will look into pricing.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 10:50:51 PM »

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 10:50:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.