ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Circuit Breaker plug  (Read 2038 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Circuit Breaker plug
« on: November 26, 2018, 06:52:22 PM »

A Circuit Breaker is built into the plug.  If it trips, it unplugs it self!

For my collection only.  Not to be used.
Not to Code

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Circuit Breaker plug
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 06:57:21 PM »

Frank, your finds continue to surprise and impress.  That's *really* cool!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »

Very cool, indeed. A non sequitur, but this reminds me, for some weird reason, of a cable tension failure detector I saw on a ski lift on Mount Ashland, OR last summer. At the top of the hill there is a huge, ugly chunk of concrete that serves as the tensioning weight for the main rope. Attached to it was a funky, rotting cord and plug arranged so that if the weight moved outside of a certain range the plug would unplug and, presumably, ring a bell or something down at the control panel. Somehow I don't think this lift was made in Switzerland. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »

Very cool, indeed. A non sequitur, but this reminds me, for some weird reason, of a cable tension failure detector I saw on a ski lift on Mount Ashland, OR last summer. At the top of the hill there is a huge, ugly chunk of concrete that serves as the tensioning weight for the main rope. Attached to it was a funky, rotting cord and plug arranged so that if the weight moved outside of a certain range the plug would unplug and, presumably, ring a bell or something down at the control panel. Somehow I don't think this lift was made in Switzerland. -F

It likely unplugs the lift motor.  Probably designed by snow skiing engineers in Lower Alabama and built by Northern South Dakotans from Hoople, SD.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:34:54 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 03:33:36 PM »

That sounds like a Rube Goldberg invention!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »

My pressure washer has a GFCI built into it's plug. My in-wall heatpump/airco has some sort of a smart plug... with "test" and "use" buttons.

I have seen plugs that sense for leakage to ground and disconnect (different than GFCI).

JR
[edit- I read the OM and my airco has one of those leakage plugs... apparently it's an UL thing protecting against squashed line cords. [/edit]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:32:51 PM by John Roberts {JR} »
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »

I keep envisioning someone "fixing" that with plumbers tape and a couple drywall screws because, "The damn plug keeps falling out!"
This space for rent

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »

Years ago, one of my dad's shop buildings was in danger of collapsing -- I think it was the Romex leading into the building that was holding it up. I braced the bulding best I could. I had planned to wire the Romex with a plug and receptacle so it would unplug itself if it did collapse.

But, life got in the way, I moved away, and eventually my brother tore down the building, so my "self-unplugging disaster" never happened.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 08:37:04 PM »

A Circuit Breaker is built into the plug.  If it trips, it unplugs it self!

For my collection only.  Not to be used.

OMG i have one of those, without the box. Once apon a time it was a good idea. (i tested it, it worked!)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 08:37:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.