ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Phone, whyyyy is it so difficult to find one  (Read 8000 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: New Phone, whyyyy is it so difficult to find one
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »

Two problems with phone jacks besides the space they take up in the phone:

The switching contacts to disable the internal speaker become problematic over time.

You can't seal the phone from moisture/water intrusion.  Most new phones are working on various levels of waterproofing since that seems to be their greatest mortality.

My rebuttal?
-You can easily seal the headphone jack pcb component.
-I have never had the contacts fail on a phone or other device with a headphone jack.
-We can create self-unfolding nanomachines out of strings of atoms. Or nand gates the width of a few atoms. I think we can make a smaller headphone PCB component that still works, is waterproof, facilitates the 3.5mm jack, etc.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 02:47:34 AM »

Over the years I’ve been through phones from several manufacturers. From the top of my head I’ve had Phillips, Ericsson, Sony Ericsson, HTC, Nokia, Samsung and iPhone.
Two phones stand out as never, ever causing any issues with a 100% up-time, that’s the Nokia 5110 and my current iPhone 8 plus.

I’ll take a fancy adapter if it’s what’s needed for having a phone that acually works everytime I need it. FWIW.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 05:14:27 AM »

FWIW, I ran through a few of the LG G-series, and currently have the G7. It's a nice bit of kit, for a few reasons:

- Has a headphone socket
- IP68 rated
- Decent camera
- "HiFi" options including switching in a better DAC (uses more battery, but there's a difference in sound), and some DTS processing
- I often finish the day with over 60% battery remaining.

I think the camera is worth a mention as it has a standard- and wide-angle camera built-in. There are options to make it work well in low light, as well as manual camera controls. Audio recording is decent, too, even with the SPL meter reading 115dB C-slow.

The pictures on my website are all taken with either the LG G5 or G7. There isn't a huge difference in quality between the two cameras, but the other features meant it was worth the upgrade.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 10:19:03 AM »

Hi Nathan,

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S7 for more than 2 years now.  It's been the best Android phone that I've owned (starting with the original Motorola Droid).  The Galaxy S9 is on my short list but I'm planning to take this to EOL support in March (unless I come across an incredible deal before then).

The Pixel 3 almost pulled me in but the cost and lack of a headphone jack and SD card storage was really a turn off.

Jeff

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »

Two problems with phone jacks besides the space they take up in the phone:

The switching contacts to disable the internal speaker become problematic over time.

You can't seal the phone from moisture/water intrusion.  Most new phones are working on various levels of waterproofing since that seems to be their greatest mortality.

1. If they can seal the lightning or USB-C connectors, there's no reason they can't seal a 3.5mm connector.
2. The switching contacts could be eliminated and a simple load sensor installed to determine if something was plugged in.
3. The headphone jack SHOULD have a software setting to disable it if it were to become damaged, since the switching is not done in the jack itself.
4. The size argument is kind of lame.  Apple had a headphone jack in the iPhone 6. The iPhone 7 is the identical size, but no headphone jack.  They said they needed more space inside. Well, if that's the case, just make the phone a smidgen bigger so the jack is inside!
5. Adaptors suck and wireless is too cumbersome to make work in a hurry, not to mention the latency added.
Brian Jojade

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »

Headphone jack should stay. 

I'd like an RJ45 jack, and the ability for 2x2 Dante. 

Why the race toward thin phones?  They cost more and break more, typically, both of which are bad.  Once you add an Otterbox or similar case - the cute little 2mm thick phone is 3/4" thick anyway.

We need a manufacturer to make working person phones.  Not all users are teen age girls

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »

I got the V30 Scott suggested.

Enjoying it much snappier than my K20V.

We need a manufacturer to make working person phones.  Not all users are teen age girls

Can't agree more. If the CAT phones were updated with the most recent Android OS & hardware they would have a winner.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »

I've had an LG e980 for nearly 5 years it works perfectly I gave it to my son and I got a used V 20 off of Amazon it's a great phone.
It has the DAC. And a great HD recorder that can be adjusted for concert levels and record with 2 mics has headphone jack that has an output impedance switcher that can drive any headphones.
It has a great camera also I believe it 16-megapixel with a wide-angle lens also on the back and an 8 megapixel for selfies or whatever on the front.
 it's fast it's really no problem at all you could go for the v30 but the v20 are selling used now pick the carrier you need for around 150 200 $ and they're excellent.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »

I got the V30 Scott suggested.

Enjoying it much snappier than my K20V.

Can't agree more. If the CAT phones were updated with the most recent Android OS & hardware they would have a winner.

The DAC is pretty cool too.  It decodes FLAC and MQA containers.  It's the cleanest audio I have heard out of a phone.   I do think turning on the quad DAC hits an EQ curve, it's too noticeable.

Make sure you train the finger sensor in the back well. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »

The DAC is pretty cool too.  It decodes FLAC and MQA containers.  It's the cleanest audio I have heard out of a phone.   I do think turning on the quad DAC hits an EQ curve, it's too noticeable.

Make sure you train the finger sensor in the back well.

That's good to know!

Time to put a ton of FLAC on my 128gB sd card :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 04:03:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.