ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Luminair 3  (Read 7138 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Question about Luminair 3
« on: November 02, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »

Is there any way to activate more than one scene at a time? Not talking about sequences, just static scenes. Can I have two or more turned on simultaneously?

Reason: I want to build scenes based on different zones, (washes, spots, movers, etc.,) on the stage and illuminate/overlap any or all as needed. Luminair doesn't seem to give me that capabilty. At least, not that I know of anyway.

I have an eDMX1 Pro art-net node, Ethernet, iPad, and Luminair 3.
Member since 2005.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Question about Luminair 3
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »

Is there any way to activate more than one scene at a time? Not talking about sequences, just static scenes. Can I have two or more turned on simultaneously?

Reason: I want to build scenes based on different zones, (washes, spots, movers, etc.,) on the stage and illuminate/overlap any or all as needed. Luminair doesn't seem to give me that capabilty. At least, not that I know of anyway.

I have an eDMX1 Pro art-net node, Ethernet, iPad, and Luminair 3.

No, a scene is a scene, and that's it. It's a somewhat frustrating limitation of the software at times, especially when you want to control several different things with it.
Brian Jojade

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »

Scene is scene.  Yes one scene is the option.  but with a second universe you could have two controllers and two lines out to two sets of lights and run two different scenes.  Yes twice the cable and more time to setup.  but it can be on one truss and look as one light system but actually two controllers.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »

Scene is scene.  Yes one scene is the option.  but with a second universe you could have two controllers and two lines out to two sets of lights and run two different scenes.  Yes twice the cable and more time to setup.  but it can be on one truss and look as one light system but actually two controllers.

This is what I do !!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 07:06:40 PM »

Sometimes I'll activate the Master button to keep manual control of a channel or two while changing scenes.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 07:09:04 AM »

Buy another node, iPad, and a 2nd software license? No thanks. For less money, I could probably move to a better software package. But, thanks anyway.
Member since 2005.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 10:03:16 PM »

Buy another node, iPad, and a 2nd software license? No thanks. For less money, I could probably move to a better software package. But, thanks anyway.

Well I always carry a back up node anyway, plus a spare iPad and there is no need to purchase the software again. Just use the same software and set up a different show.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 12:31:06 AM »

A second iPad controlling a different set of lights is not the same as being able to activate multiple scenes at once.  Eg, I'd like to have a scene that sets movement of my lights, then another scene where I can set the color, and a third scene to pick the gobos.  I do this regularly on other controllers.

Luminair is wonderful for stuff where you can program your looks ahead of time and have it ready to rock for the show.  It's not flexible to program during the show like some other software is.

Now, I did find an option that you can build a new scene off of an existing scene, then add in what you want.  That's great while programming, but not so great when you want to combine 2 looks live.
Brian Jojade

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »

A second iPad controlling a different set of lights is not the same as being able to activate multiple scenes at once.  Eg, I'd like to have a scene that sets movement of my lights, then another scene where I can set the color, and a third scene to pick the gobos.  I do this regularly on other controllers.

Luminair is wonderful for stuff where you can program your looks ahead of time and have it ready to rock for the show.  It's not flexible to program during the show like some other software is.

Now, I did find an option that you can build a new scene off of an existing scene, then add in what you want.  That's great while programming, but not so great when you want to combine 2 looks live.

How do you build a new scene off an existing scene?

--Kevin

Stuart Anderson

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »

I want to build scenes based on different zones, (washes, spots, movers, etc.,)...

Not sure if this meets your objective, but I set up Luminair so that one set of scenes control all washes and excludes spots, whereas another set of scenes control the spots and excludes washes.  That way I can create a huge number of permutations of spots x washes with a relatively small number of defined scenes.  For example, 10 spot scenes and 40 wash scenes can provide 400 unique combos of the two sets yet only requiring 50 scene definitions (all in one universe with all lights controlled together on the same physical network from one iPad).

I use MIDI to trigger scenes during a synchronized backing track.  So at any given point in a song there has been one scene triggered from the 'spots scenes' and one from the 'washes scenes'.  If changing both at the same time, I do have to make sure there's sufficient time between them so the second one doesn't inadvertently abort the first (particularly if fades are involved), which is a PIA... but it's workable since all our lighting is 100% automated from MIDI during live performances... just have to get it right once.

I got the original seed idea from this post...  http://support.synthe-fx.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2892733-is-it-possible-to-activate-multiple-scenes-

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.