ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Network cable for audio  (Read 31752 times)

Robert Lofgren

Re: Network cable for audio
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2019, 05:01:10 PM »

I’m blushing already  8)

**Thanks to my Internet buddy Robert for getting me to look at the Standards document.

Hunk Huang

• Soundman and cable designer
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2019, 10:46:06 PM »

I don't see how they would have continuity. Looks to have a rubber ring where it detaches. Unless the inner part makes a strong connection. I don't think I'd want them if I was depending on a fully shielded connection shell to shell.

This grounding point is not connected to any housing
He caused the grounding area to be insufficient
Insufficient compatibility with general STP RJ45
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:27:30 PM by Hunk Huang »
Soundman and cable designer

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2019, 10:50:08 PM »

As an RJ45 connector, it should have enough grounding area itself.
Unfortunately, this is not

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Hunk Huang

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2019, 10:56:28 PM »

Thanks for doing the work to back up your comments. My apologies for taking so long to reply.

First, note that most or all the sources you quote are old, either from before the X32 was introduced or slightly after. There has been a lot discovered since then, and the price and availability of CAT6a (for example) have respectively plummeted and soared. So using higher grade CAT cable is not the burden it was at that time.

Second, I have not been able to find any documentation that using a higher resolution cable diminishes performance of lower resolution signals, although you say:

but I couldn't find a source for the higher-twist cable not working for AES50 in any of the documentation you provided. Or anywhere else.

The fact that Ethernet switches do not work for AES50 is a red herring, since AES50 and Ethernet are different protocols. You CAN extend AES50 using AES50 extenders but there does not seem to be a hub/switch equivalent.

Lastly, AES50 is a Standard agreed upon by manufacturers, scientists, and other interested parties, and the resulting equipment is built to conform to the specs in the Standard document.

The entirety of the Standards document (AES50-2011) that relates to the cable is:

"4 Physical Interface 4.1 Physical medium

"HRMAI uses a four-pair twisted pair data cable. The minimum specification shall be Category 5 as defined by TIA/EIA-568-B.2, although the use of more stringently-specified cable such as Category 6 is recommended.

"The use of screened (shielded) twisted pair (STP) cable is recommended."

The end.

So when that document was written only CAT5 was commonly available (not CAT5e), so although equipment built to the standard would perform adequately, the authors and signatories agreed that "more stringently-specified cable...is recommended". (I skipped over CAT6 because we now know that it has limitations that CAT6a doesn't have.)

Please tell the old wives to stop telling their tales.

*I must point out that I am not an IT professional and have not been trained on this in any way, other than Hard Knocks U plus keeping an open ear for new info to explain these devices that I have and use.

**Thanks to my Internet buddy Robert for getting me to look at the Standards document.
Please also note that aes50 is a non-standard protocol.
Does he fully consider the SKEW DELAY @ PAIR-PAIR problem?
Can you allow the AUDIO DATA and SYNC to be DELAY 55ns?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:16:06 PM by Mac Kerr »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »

Please also note that aes50 is a non-standard protocol.
Does he fully consider the SKEW DELAY @ PAIR-PAIR problem?
Can you allow the AUDIO DATA and SYNC to be DELAY 55ns?

How do you expect to be taken seriously when you state that an open standard protocol is non-standard?

Hunk Huang

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2019, 03:42:34 AM »

How do you expect to be taken seriously when you state that an open standard protocol is non-standard?
Aes50 is the AES standard. I admit this.
But he is absolutely not compatible with TIA-568
TIA-568 allows 100M 50ns skew delay
This is not synchronized for audio data and sync.

https://www.flukenetworks.com/knowledge-base/dtx-cableanalyzer/delay-skew

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2019, 01:24:49 AM »

I am admittedly late to my response on whether the GLS Audio Snake is grounded at both ends. It is not. The one I got was a Cat6A though, so perhaps that made a difference? In either case, I have NEVER had an issue with it. I have since bonded the other end to ground so there is now continuity at both ends for the drain wire. I also picked up another cable from Elite Core that is a Cat5E and it is bonded on both ends to the drain wire. Again no issues with it.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 08:08:43 AM »

FWIW I know in the past there have been some issues with the X32 that have been discussed on various forums - earthing, shielded, non shielded cables etc. especially with the early X32’s.

A friend of mine has had issue with his X32 using cables that should have been perfectly fine. Not sure if he ever got to the bottom of it.  I suspect there may have been issues that we haven’t been told about in some of the Behringer production runs- don’t know. I don’t think it’s an issue with the cables or AES50.   What worked on my Pro2 often had issues on his X32.

I seem to recall that the required cable for the X32 was not the same as for the Pro series.

Each vendor specifies the required cables for each product.

An earlier post stated Cat5e only for the X32. Higher numbers do not indicate better. They may or may not work in any given implementation.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »

An earlier post stated Cat5e only for the X32. Higher numbers do not indicate better. They may or may not work in any given implementation.

On what do you base this opinion (the "may not work" part)?

Searching has not found any proof that higher rated cable does not work where lower rated cable does work.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »

On what do you base this opinion (the "may not work" part)?

Searching has not found any proof that higher rated cable does not work where lower rated cable does work.

Depends on how good the implementation of a given protocol is for a product. Just because it has an RJ45 jack (look that up), doesn’t mean the circuits behind it are robust.

Just look at the brouhaha over the ESD issues the X32 had.
People who used cables other than that specified sometimes had issues. Not ok for pro work.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.