ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Network cable for audio  (Read 31744 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Network cable for audio
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »

I have been using mine with an X32R and an M32R with a DL32 stage box. One year in and not one hiccup.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2018, 06:46:31 AM »

I'm surprised that Rat Sound SuperCAT isn't mentioned here. It is designed specifically to meet networking requirements as well as audio.

http://www.ratsoundsales.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Soundtools-Supercatlite

A variety of adapters and break out boxes are available.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »

I'm surprised that Rat Sound SuperCAT isn't mentioned here.
Is it CAT6a shielded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Gary Weller

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »

I have been using the GLS Audio Ethercon cables with 0 issues. It is a cat6 and somewhat tactical. It is made with solid core wires, has the twisted pair separator in it, a rugged jacket, is grounded and has removable ends so you can connect it to non-ethercon devices. The price is good too. I wouldn't say it is tour grade, but it is certainly more than good enough for your typical GS, local festivals and corporate needs. I am perhaps spoiled, but I am the only guy in my area with this type of cable and others that have used it are impressed. Most everyone else around me is just using bulk shielded cat5e that they terminate and it is always bright blue or white and you can't lay it flat and straight to save your life. This cables can be laid flat and straight, it just doesn't do tight bends very well.

https://www.glsaudio.com/GLS-Audio-150-Feet-etherCON-Compatible-RJ45-CAT6-G-Shell-G45-Cable_p_1894.html
If yours is grounded, it's the first one I've seen. Have you actually checked it with a meter? I ordered one and when it arrived, I checked and it didn't have continuity between the metal on the RJ-45's. I sent it back. I checked a friends cable too and it also wasn't.
From your link in the description: "Drain wire (ground) lifted at one end to prevent unwanted noise and hum."

Gary Weller

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »

Is it CAT6a shielded?

From their site:"The SuperCAT Sound is a premium shielded (U/FTP) CAT5e cable. Its specifications exceed standard CAT5e, CAT 6, and CAT 7. Comprised of 12 conductor cable with four twisted pairs each having an individual drain wire. "

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2018, 02:37:03 PM »

From their site:"The SuperCAT Sound is a premium shielded (U/FTP) CAT5e cable. Its specifications exceed standard CAT5e, CAT 6, and CAT 7. Comprised of 12 conductor cable with four twisted pairs each having an individual drain wire. "
So no, then?

-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Gary Weller

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »

So no, then?

No, it's CAT5E.
http://www.ratsoundsales.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=soundtools-supercatsound
Link to product with video description by Dave Rat.

Here's a link to a CAT6A shielded cable with ethercons but small gauge 26awg if you're in the US.

https://nelsonaudio.com/store/items/nelson-audio-&-light-100ft-phantomcat-cable
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:35:28 PM by Gary Weller »

Nick Falbo

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2018, 11:56:56 PM »

Personally this is what I use with the X32 and M32. It is the spec cable that Behringer sells for the X32. It is very rugged, has dual shielding consisting of a foil shield and an additional metal braid shield to help with EMI and ESD protection as well as add structural integrity to the cable. It also has dual jacket layers to help protect the cables. It is Super strong, comes terminated with EtherCON shells that have continuity at the shell which is required for the X32/M32. You can use 2 of these cables with a  Neutrik NE8FF if you need more than 50m (164ft).  The best part is, it comes with the cable reel. They are not cheap though, but you really do get what you pay for with this cable.

http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Klarkteknik/Mixers/Accessories/NCAT5E-50M/p/P0AUK

Here is the shopping link to the cable
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/273717-klark-teknik-ncat5e-50m-50m-reel-of-cat5e-network-cable?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3IPgBRCAARIsABb-iGI9wAJMJ_5E9OL42W5hGVgcXdPgAzd4zT64noBYbU9UPw5dJ45Yc5AaAlolEALw_wcB

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2019, 04:46:34 PM »

Several references

Thanks for doing the work to back up your comments. My apologies for taking so long to reply.

First, note that most or all the sources you quote are old, either from before the X32 was introduced or slightly after. There has been a lot discovered since then, and the price and availability of CAT6a (for example) have respectively plummeted and soared. So using higher grade CAT cable is not the burden it was at that time.

Second, I have not been able to find any documentation that using a higher resolution cable diminishes performance of lower resolution signals, although you say:

Some cat6 cables with a lower twist rate (2 twists per cm) should work fine, but others with a higher twist rate will not. This is not a problem in ethernet networks because of the way ethernet works, but AES50 only uses the physical layer (OSI-layer 1) which is the connections, but everything else is different, so it can not be held to the same standards that ethernet based networking (hence why you can't use ethernet switches and other network gear on an AES50 network) is which is where most people make their mistakes.

but I couldn't find a source for the higher-twist cable not working for AES50 in any of the documentation you provided. Or anywhere else.

The fact that Ethernet switches do not work for AES50 is a red herring, since AES50 and Ethernet are different protocols. You CAN extend AES50 using AES50 extenders but there does not seem to be a hub/switch equivalent.

Lastly, AES50 is a Standard agreed upon by manufacturers, scientists, and other interested parties, and the resulting equipment is built to conform to the specs in the Standard document.

The entirety of the Standards document (AES50-2011) that relates to the cable is:

"4 Physical Interface 4.1 Physical medium

"HRMAI uses a four-pair twisted pair data cable. The minimum specification shall be Category 5 as defined by TIA/EIA-568-B.2, although the use of more stringently-specified cable such as Category 6 is recommended.

"The use of screened (shielded) twisted pair (STP) cable is recommended."

The end.

So when that document was written only CAT5 was commonly available (not CAT5e), so although equipment built to the standard would perform adequately, the authors and signatories agreed that "more stringently-specified cable...is recommended". (I skipped over CAT6 because we now know that it has limitations that CAT6a doesn't have.)

Please tell the old wives to stop telling their tales.

*I must point out that I am not an IT professional and have not been trained on this in any way, other than Hard Knocks U plus keeping an open ear for new info to explain these devices that I have and use.

**Thanks to my Internet buddy Robert for getting me to look at the Standards document.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2019, 04:50:57 PM »

You can use 2 of these cables with a  Neutrik NE8FF if you need more than 50m (164ft). 

http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Klarkteknik/Mixers/Accessories/NCAT5E-50M/p/P0AUK

If you connect two of these together, it's true that you will have exactly 100 meters of cable but the presence of the coupler should cause it to fail the certification tester. If it does actually work, you will still be on the ragged edge of performance as well as having a failure point in the middle.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:58:04 PM by Dan Mortensen »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2019, 04:50:57 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 26 queries.