ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Network cable for audio  (Read 31696 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: Network cable for audio
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »

One of the big issues I've seen with AES50 is that any movement of conductors inside of the cable can cause it to freak out.  ie, if someone steps on a cable, you'll hear a pop.

One needs to look at the cross-section of the cable under consideration.

The cables having this problem seem to be the ones with the twisted pairs touching each other with no filler in between.

One of the reasons to get CAT6 or 6a rather than 5e is that having a longitudinal spacer/spline running through the cable is common if not necessary on the former to achieve spec and rare in the latter. The spline should vastly reduce/eliminate the problem you describe.

John L Nobile

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 02:10:32 PM »

One needs to look at the cross-section of the cable under consideration.

The cables having this problem seem to be the ones with the twisted pairs touching each other with no filler in between.

One of the reasons to get CAT6 or 6a rather than 5e is that having a longitudinal spacer/spline running through the cable is common if not necessary on the former to achieve spec and rare in the latter. The spline should vastly reduce/eliminate the problem you describe.

I've been looking at 5e and 6a. From what I've read Cat 6 is only rated to 55 meters. Cat 6e is not rated and seems to have been superseded by 6a which is rated to the full 100M. My head is spinning looking at all the different cables and shielding types.

My thought is that good shielding is a priority and there is a spec for a braided shield around all the wires with each pair in a foil shield as well.

Here's a Belden link with a description of UTP/STP etc....
https://www.belden.com/blog/digital-building/stp-utp-ftp-cable-more-7-types-when-to-use-them

Also, here's my 1st choice for Cat5e cable - ToughCableCarrier from Ubiquiti. The x-section shows the shielding

https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/toughcable/

Now to find a good Cat 6a cable

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »

Now to find a good Cat 6a cable
TMB recently released a CAT6a cable that is certified to 10Gbps at 100m.

--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »

https://linkitaly.com/product/cat7-polyurethane-ethernet-cable/

"Our CAT7 Polyurethane Ethernet Cable undergoes EIA/TIA 568B.2 and ISO/IEC 11801 certification tests in which the complete range of relevant frequencies are analyzed. The test ensures that each value, at every frequency up to 1500 MHz, is compliant with the standard at the specified length. The Eurocable CAT7 Polyurethane Ethernet Cable is the first cable for Dante that was tested successfully to 150 m and is guaranteed to 120M for mobile applications."

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »

https://linkitaly.com/product/cat7-polyurethane-ethernet-cable/

"Our CAT7 Polyurethane Ethernet Cable undergoes EIA/TIA 568B.2 and ISO/IEC 11801 certification tests in which the complete range of relevant frequencies are analyzed. The test ensures that each value, at every frequency up to 1500 MHz, is compliant with the standard at the specified length. The Eurocable CAT7 Polyurethane Ethernet Cable is the first cable for Dante that was tested successfully to 150 m and is guaranteed to 120M for mobile applications."

More cable? My heads gonna explode.

I should be getting the DL32 next week so I better decide what cable to buy. I'd like to use it on a gig next Fri and Sat.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 06:44:39 PM »

More cable? My heads gonna explode.

I should be getting the DL32 next week so I better decide what cable to buy. I'd like to use it on a gig next Fri and Sat.

FWIW. I’ve used the ordinary Eurocable Cat6 STP on a standard 75m cable reel with all my cat-based desks, no issues. (Yamaha, Soundcraft, Midas Pro and M32).

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 09:02:41 PM »

Also, here's my 1st choice for Cat5e cable - ToughCableCarrier from Ubiquiti. The x-section shows the shielding

https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/toughcable/

That looks pretty good in both versions, with the Carrier one looking better because of the spline. From what i can tell, though, the individual pairs for both seem encapsulated in a jacket, so that might work fine on its own to reduce crosstalk/induction interference that the spline further reduces.

Does it come terminated in specific lengths or only unterminated? I have a problem with terminating sufficiently well every time so I don't. Looking closer at the data sheet it looks like only unterminated BUT the correct connectors for the cable are available from them. That would be a must-buy, as the problems are often that cables need a specific size of connector and vice versa.

The blurb doesn't say anything about the connector having an insert, which seems important for reliable connections, so be wary. (If your devices only need CAT5e you may be fine doing your own terminations, but if they inherently need CAT6a be very cautious and aware of what you are doing.)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 09:24:51 PM »

The blurb doesn't say anything about the connector having an insert, which seems important for reliable connections, so be wary. (If your devices only need CAT5e you may be fine doing your own terminations, but if they inherently need CAT6a be very cautious and aware of what you are doing.)

Agreed, liberty av has the best video on terminating Cat6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U84ax50PE0
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nick Falbo

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 09:46:40 PM »

I'm looking at getting a DL32 on stage to connect to  FOH and monitor X32's. It's an install so I don't need the expensive rugged cable. Been thinking of just rolling my own but came across this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Snagless-Shielded-Ethernet/dp/B00BIOQ9YS?th=1

I like the shielding and it's Cat6a. I can put ethercon ends on it and should be good to go. Only problem I can see is that it's 26 AWG. I'm just not sure the guage matters.

Thoughts?

The best thing to do is use the cable specs from Behringer/Midas.

Direct from Behringer/Midas
In order to ensure trouble-free operation when connecting X32 consoles to other X32 mixers or to S16 stage boxes, the following specifications should be met when choosing your cables:

Shielded Cat-5e cables only
Ethercon terminated cable ends
Maximum cable length 100 meters (300 feet)

The one thing that is not noted in this is that the ethercon shells must have continuity through them, to test this take a multimeter put one probe on one ethercon shell and the other probe on the other while the multimeter is set to continuity test. It should either beep or give you an onscreen message saying that there is continuity. This is to show that there is a grounded connection between the shells. If you don't follow these rules then you run the risk of damaging your AES50 ports on your gear, and Music Tribe will NOT offer warranty support on equipment using non spec cables. Many people have found this out the hard way.

You can add ethercon connectors to the cable you found on amazon but it is not a spec cable. The spec calls for Cat5e not Cat6, this is due to the difference in twists of the cable which can lead to sync errors because Cat6 has a higher twist meaning that in 1 foot of Cat6 cable there is more wire length internally vs Cat5e which has less twist to it. The devices were made to work with Cat5e and were not designed for Cat6 variants. The good news is Cat5e is cheaper.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »

The spec calls for Cat5e not Cat6, this is due to the difference in twists of the cable which can lead to sync errors because Cat6 has a higher twist meaning that in 1 foot of Cat6 cable there is more wire length internally vs Cat5e which has less twist to it. The devices were made to work with Cat5e and were not designed for Cat6 variants.

Source this paragraph's info, please.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.