ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Network cable for audio  (Read 31697 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Network cable for audio
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2018, 04:43:35 AM »

Anyone used the Ethernet to 4 XLR breakout boxes? Seems that the cable needs to be shielded for these to work properly, but is it individual pair shields, or overall shield? I assume also that the shields would be tied together on all 4 lines?
How well does this work for (unbalanced) clear-com? Dave Rat seems to think it works fine, but I wouldn't mind hearing other's experience...

At least over short distances I've run them with UTP without any issues (although obviously phantom doesn't work without a shield). Even at longer distances the common mode rejection of twisted pair should obviate most of the need for shielding, but that does rely on how well balanced your inputs and outputs are. I definitely tend to think of them as shield-optional, especially for line-level signals. Heck, I've even run Ethernet and analogue audio down the same Cat5e run (two pairs of each), and not even over a particularly high-quality cable, without any noticeable noise or packet loss. Cat5e is pretty good stuff...

-Russ

Scott Helmke

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2018, 08:40:38 AM »

Anyone used the Ethernet to 4 XLR breakout boxes? Seems that the cable needs to be shielded for these to work properly, but is it individual pair shields, or overall shield? I assume also that the shields would be tied together on all 4 lines?
How well does this work for (unbalanced) clear-com? Dave Rat seems to think it works fine, but I wouldn't mind hearing other's experience...

We do it now and then, using UTP in a 4-channel ethernet snake. No big issues. I built a couple party-line to Ethercon boxes, uses two of the pairs to make the ground connection. No real problems running Clear-Com over a 300' snake, though you have to be careful not to hang more than a couple beltpacks on the far side (skinny wire).

I'm in the market for a 4-channel ethernet snake. The ones I've seen before were HUGE! way bigger than 4 individual CAT5/6 cables.

Yeah, it's a bit large when you buy a 4-banger in that form. On the upside it'll be a lot lighter than equivalent copper pairs, and the filler and padding does a good job protecting the wire. We've got several that get rented on a semi-regular basis (over several years) and I think maybe once has a line gone bad.

BTW, we changed most of our Ethercon 4-channel snakes to have the 4th line be regular RJ45 ends ("ProShell" end from TMB) instead of Ethercon. Drastically reduces having to replace the parts that get lost when somebody removes the Ethercon so they can connect their laptop to a speaker processor over the snake.

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »

Scott,

That's a good idea about putting an rj45 on the 4th channel.

How have you had success with com?  I spec'ed a system using the 3ch TMB wiring to ensure that the grounds were wired.  I've had very mixed results with com.  Using a mix of 1ch clear-com, 2ch CC with a TW-1 and 2ch RTS, I've probably only had a 50% rate of it working at all and only 25% success rate of it working without excessive noise. 

I'm using Rapco Ether-Shield quad, so it is shielded but I didn't want to rely on that foil shield to carry signal, so I went with the 3ch wiring where the grounds are shared between channels but on actual conductors.  I'm not running anything other than com over the adapters.

Direct link to the pdf wasn't attaching correctly.  Follow thing link then go to cut sheets for the 3ch wiring.
https://tmb.com/sneak-snake/

thomas d.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 02:20:45 PM »

Thanks, everyone!

What are your thoughts on the Elite core connectors?
https://elitecoreaudio.com/store/elite-core-cs45-converta-shell-connector.html
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Gary Weller

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 11:00:43 PM »

Thanks, everyone!

I don't see how they would have continuity. Looks to have a rubber ring where it detaches. Unless the inner part makes a strong connection. I don't think I'd want them if I was depending on a fully shielded connection shell to shell.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 06:05:53 AM »

Thanks, everyone!

Use an Ethercon barrel and a short RJ45 jumper.  There is no ground continuity on the Converta-Shell.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2018, 02:19:28 AM »

Great stuff, guys!
That's why I love this forum. Real info from people actually using the stuff.

Cheers!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2018, 10:49:36 AM »

There is no ground continuity on the Converta-Shell.
Absolutely true. It's mated to a non-conductive plastic shell. But does there need to be, if you have a shielded RJ45 inside it?

The problem I have with my Converta-Shells is that the removable sleeve is held in place by friction against the rubber o-ring, and that's only barely adequate. When the o-ring inevitably cracks or just comes off, the sleeve is loose and can fall right off. The concept is very handy, though, so I found beefier o-rings.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2018, 12:09:31 PM »

Absolutely true. It's mated to a non-conductive plastic shell. But does there need to be, if you have a shielded RJ45 inside it?

"It depends."

If you're using this for M32/X32 then the answer is absolutely YES, you do need end-to-end DC continuity between Ethercon shells.

For other devices?  I can't say for certain... but it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »

If you're using this for M32/X32 then the answer is absolutely YES, you do need end-to-end DC continuity between Ethercon shells.

Really? Behringer didn't connect the ground pin, or didn't use grounding RJ45 jacks? Huh.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.