ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Network cable for audio  (Read 31698 times)

John L Nobile

Network cable for audio
« on: November 01, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »

I'm looking at getting a DL32 on stage to connect to  FOH and monitor X32's. It's an install so I don't need the expensive rugged cable. Been thinking of just rolling my own but came across this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Snagless-Shielded-Ethernet/dp/B00BIOQ9YS?th=1

I like the shielding and it's Cat6a. I can put ethercon ends on it and should be good to go. Only problem I can see is that it's 26 AWG. I'm just not sure the guage matters.

Thoughts?

Dan Mortensen

Re: Network cable for audio
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 06:04:16 PM »

I'm looking at getting a DL32 on stage to connect to  FOH and monitor X32's. It's an install so I don't need the expensive rugged cable. Been thinking of just rolling my own but came across this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Snagless-Shielded-Ethernet/dp/B00BIOQ9YS?th=1

I like the shielding and it's Cat6a. I can put ethercon ends on it and should be good to go. Only problem I can see is that it's 26 AWG. I'm just not sure the guage matters.

Thoughts?

Ordinarily I would say that I think you'd be fine, but I think I bought that exact cable this summer and it failed the pass/fail tests on my Byte Brothers Cable Certifier (which really doesn't certify cables but does measure things better than other measuring devices). Amazon took it back, and I used something else.

I bought this stuff , but the 200' wasn't available at the time and I got the 150'; several of them, and all passed.

It's rugged and stiff but worked.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 06:27:18 PM »

X32/M32 - I believe you need not only shielded, but Ethercon as well to avoid problems. 

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »

X32/M32 - I believe you need not only shielded, but Ethercon as well to avoid problems.

Yes, just as he said.

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 11:12:54 PM »

Isn't Ethercon just the name of the connector? It's a sleeve that goes over a normal RJ45 shielded connector.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 12:05:10 AM »

Isn't Ethercon just the name of the connector? It's a sleeve that goes over a normal RJ45 shielded connector.
Yes.

If it's install - West Penn, ICE, Belden install cable, Cat5e shielded, Ethercon connectors.  A 500' spool of the above doesn't cost much, and Cat5e isn't hard to terminate.  Solid core from tech plate to tech plate (or punch downs), stranded to the devices.  Keep continuity from chassis to chassis.  Especially in cold or dry climates where static electricity builds up.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 12:09:57 AM »

Yes. There are two primary models for this application:
NE8MC for pre-terminated cables
NE8MC-1 for cables to be terminated after the Ethercon boots are installed

The only difference is the boot.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »

Yes.  It also provides a bit of shielding.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 11:22:32 AM »

NE8MC for pre-terminated cables

I had no idea these were available!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »

Only problem I can see is that it's 26 AWG. I'm just not sure the guage matters.

Thoughts?

For signal cable, the smaller gauge shouldn't matter.  Where it does matter is if you are using ethernet and POE connections. Then the small wire can cause you some issues.

If the wire is completely contained and never moves, you can get away with a lot lesser cable and have it work.  One of the big issues I've seen with AES50 is that any movement of conductors inside of the cable can cause it to freak out.  ie, if someone steps on a cable, you'll hear a pop.  As long as your cable will never be abused like that, then you should be ok.

Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.