ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: KLA Angler  (Read 5539 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: KLA Angler
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 03:16:40 PM »

The KLA being a constant curvature array doesn't really have many benefits over a conventional point source. The horn is designed to not overlap, so additional boxes only add vertical coverage. As we already know, where you point it is everything and the top box when on a stand is pointing at pretty much nothing of interest. You still get coupling in the lower frequencies as expected, but the mids are still subject to destructive interference.

With CC Array shortcomings I don't place much value in them over a conventional PS when used on sticks. When using a full-size CC Array they make a little more sense and work relatively well for what they are. PS FTW though :)
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »

The KLA being a constant curvature array doesn't really have many benefits over a conventional point source. The horn is designed to not overlap, so additional boxes only add vertical coverage. As we already know, where you point it is everything and the top box when on a stand is pointing at pretty much nothing of interest. You still get coupling in the lower frequencies as expected, but the mids are still subject to destructive interference.

With CC Array shortcomings I don't place much value in them over a conventional PS when used on sticks. When using a full-size CC Array they make a little more sense and work relatively well for what they are. PS FTW though :)

Since this is a common usage of these boxes, I saw a niche to fill, making it so they actually sort of point at the audience.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 02:26:49 PM »

Just back from Anodizing.
Here are the parts for two sets.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:30:08 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »

Just back from Anodizing.
Here are the parts for two sets.

PERRRDY Dave!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ken Braziel

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »

I don't want to derail too much as this thread is about Dave's anglers .... but is there much benefit in the 2 KLA's per side compared to a K12 or any other point source speaker?

The KLA's have a tighter vertical pattern, in my experience 2 of them can cover a much larger area (distance) than most of their other offerings - only the KW153 has similar throw.

I loaned Dave a pair of my KLA's for testing the center-of-gravity and placement for the KLAnglers, I have a pair that I've been using at my regular summer concert series and they do indeed solve the issue of the top box shooting mostly out into the sky - it's facing straight forward now, giving much better coverage of the venue.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »

I don't want to derail too much as this thread is about Dave's anglers .... but is there much benefit in the 2 KLA's per side compared to a K12 or any other point source speaker?

You might already own them, as opposed to needing to buy another K12.  Inventory flexibility to reduce total investment.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.