ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neutric Powercon Question  (Read 8505 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: Neutric Powercon Question
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 11:44:33 AM »

So... any idea why several manufacturers choose to ignore the Neutrik direction by not including a power switch for their PowerCon-configured devices?

We have a bunch of TTL-6a speakers from RCF - none have a power switch, and all have PowerCon in/out receptacles. I'd think that engineering powerhouses like Meyer, RCF, etc would know better?

They assume you'll connect it all up before applying power?

Lyle Williams

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 01:55:09 PM »

Ditto with lights.  Long strings of fixtures that nobody powers down when adding another.

It seems the connector works well enough in the real world.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 04:38:19 PM »

So... any idea why several manufacturers choose to ignore the Neutrik direction by not including a power switch for their PowerCon-configured devices?

We have a bunch of TTL-6a speakers from RCF - none have a power switch, and all have PowerCon in/out receptacles. I'd think that engineering powerhouses like Meyer, RCF, etc would know better?

Maybe they assume you would cable it all up before you turn the power on (at the distro)?

GTD

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 06:44:04 PM »

Maybe they assume you would cable it all up before you turn the power on (at the distro)?

GTD

Maybe that's why they developed the True1 -- they realized their ASSumptions were wrong.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 01:12:43 AM »

Neutrik makes the powerCon, and describes the intended usages.  If somebody else makes a poor design choice when building gear, how is that the fault of Neutrik?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »

With all due respect, this will be true for a while and then it won't be true at all as the connector will have damage from repeated small sparking.

My shop stereo was four UPM-1P's for a few years and I used a Powercon barrel to turn the agglomeration on and off, no music playing at turn-on/turn-off.

After a couple years that barrel and the Powercon->Edison stopped working.

True, it was four and not one but the principle is the same IMO. Small load can wreck Powercon when twisted while on.

One person's anecdote FWIW.

Yes indeed and good point.  Depending upon usage, this stuff wears out - with or without the arcing - that speeds up the process.

I did a job for a colleague many years ago, 4th of July show on the infield of a dirt track.  He sent me in his truck, his gear and his assistant.  Told me the basic configuration of things - this was back in the mid 80's and he had racks of BGW 750's & 250's.  Anyway, I discovered the 1/4" TRS and XLR connections had "character" or some personality to them.  Scratchy and inconsistent connections, had to wiggle things around a bit and change out a cable or two.  This applied to some of the 1/4" TRS stuff in and out of the EQ's & crossovers and several of the XLR females.

I guess over time, he was used to quickly going through connections, I wasn't and with a foreign system and under the gun to get things up and running before the gates opened I could have done without the extra excitement.

Which is why today I never patch in and out of gear, stage boxes, amps, whatever.  Rack 'em up with patch panels that can be easily changed or repaired out if/when they wear out.  Same holds true for cable reels and XLR cables.  I don't use them, just hand roll individual cables, Velcro strap them together and throw them into a drum case.

RIP Robert "Bob" Martin of Band Aids.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:06:03 PM by Steven A. White »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.