ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neutric Powercon Question  (Read 8509 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Neutric Powercon Question
« on: October 31, 2018, 06:39:02 PM »

In using the standard Powercon connector the manufacturer states that it shouldn't be unplugged under a load. My question is if the device is off is it under a load? In other words do I need to unplug the male end first.. I just purchased a few powered wedges...
Thanks for your time...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Neutric Powercon Question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »

In using the standard Powercon connector the manufacturer states that it shouldn't be unplugged under a load. My question is if the device is off is it under a load? In other words do I need to unplug the male end first.. I just purchased a few powered wedges...
Thanks for your time...

Maybe.  Most things digital have some amount of parasitic load, our iTechs (4 to a rack) draw enough when powered down at the front panel that an L21-30 will spark at the rack pack inlet if the cable is already powered.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 06:53:29 AM »

Now for an alternative question, what is the difference between the original Powercon and the True1 units now. I can imagine the rule is there to prevent arc flashes but seeing how deep the Powercon connector is, is it really that serious for low current loads?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 11:01:17 AM »

The True1 connectors are IP65 rated and utilize a completely different locking assembly to keep them separate from the "plain" powercon connectors. They are also able to be hot-swapped under load as they have breaking capacity baked in. Those are the only differences. Well, that and not being able to utilize the same gauge wire/jacket thickness cable that standard powercons can (yet, supposedly they're working on this).
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 04:01:51 PM »

The True1 connectors are IP65 rated and utilize a completely different locking assembly to keep them separate from the "plain" powercon connectors. They are also able to be hot-swapped under load as they have breaking capacity baked in. Those are the only differences. Well, that and not being able to utilize the same gauge wire/jacket thickness cable that standard powercons can (yet, supposedly they're working on this).

To clarify, this means that the contacts can handle the inevitable arcing that occurs when making/breaking the connection under load.

The contacts in the original Powercon connectors can be damaged by such arcing.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »

To whit, our FBT StageMaxx monitors don’t even have off/on switches — the True1 connectors perform that function.
..db

Lyle Williams

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 01:29:31 AM »

Better to think of them as being unsuitable for repeated connection/disconnection under FULL load.

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 07:01:43 PM »

Better to think of them as being unsuitable for repeated connection/disconnection under FULL load.

Indeed. I couldn’t count how many Meyer’s I’ve connected or disconnected with an idle load without issue.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »

Indeed. I couldn’t count how many Meyer’s I’ve connected or disconnected with an idle load without issue.

With all due respect, this will be true for a while and then it won't be true at all as the connector will have damage from repeated small sparking.

My shop stereo was four UPM-1P's for a few years and I used a Powercon barrel to turn the agglomeration on and off, no music playing at turn-on/turn-off.

After a couple years that barrel and the Powercon->Edison stopped working.

True, it was four and not one but the principle is the same IMO. Small load can wreck Powercon when twisted while on.

One person's anecdote FWIW.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »

With all due respect, this will be true for a while and then it won't be true at all as the connector will have damage from repeated small sparking.

My shop stereo was four UPM-1P's for a few years and I used a Powercon barrel to turn the agglomeration on and off, no music playing at turn-on/turn-off.

After a couple years that barrel and the Powercon->Edison stopped working.

True, it was four and not one but the principle is the same IMO. Small load can wreck Powercon when twisted while on.

One person's anecdote FWIW.

So... any idea why several manufacturers choose to ignore the Neutrik direction by not including a power switch for their PowerCon-configured devices?

We have a bunch of TTL-6a speakers from RCF - none have a power switch, and all have PowerCon in/out receptacles. I'd think that engineering powerhouses like Meyer, RCF, etc would know better?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.