ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed to set up a Behringer FBQ1000 feedback destroyer to my DJ controller  (Read 22698 times)

David Allred

Hi Geert,

It's pointing away from me and I have it 4 feet in front of me so the party host can make announcements.

Truly,
Emad

The party host should face the audience, so the mic should face away from the audience and face toward you.

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

The party host should face the audience, so the mic should face away from the audience and face toward you.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the confusion.  ::)

I'm actually facing the audience and so is the party host and the mic is facing the host who does the announcements. I also make sure the host gets an inch or 2 from the mic and keeps it on the mic stand.

Truly,
Emad

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's

I think the biggest problem is that you are asking for the mic to get much louder than the PA is capable of allowing. Feedback is a curable disease, but it also a necessary evil too. With your level of skill and likely grade of equipment, you could probably eek out 3-6 more db of SPL before feedback, but I am not sure that will be enough for you? DJ's tend to run systems pretty hard and making vocals have the same SPL and impact as the music is very difficult. At some point, you have to work with what you have and come to terms that it can't do everything you want.

This may mean being diligent at keeping a certain SPL so that the vocal mic can have a chance at having the impact or volume difference you wish. If you simply need that much level to the back of the room, you will have to get more speakers and spread them about. What you want and the reality of what you can have will have to come to a point of equilibrium. A graphic EQ will get you 7/10ths of the way to where you want, the last three 10ths are a matter of skill and equipment quality.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

I think the biggest problem is that you are asking for the mic to get much louder than the PA is capable of allowing. Feedback is a curable disease, but it also a necessary evil too. With your level of skill and likely grade of equipment, you could probably eek out 3-6 more db of SPL before feedback, but I am not sure that will be enough for you? DJ's tend to run systems pretty hard and making vocals have the same SPL and impact as the music is very difficult. At some point, you have to work with what you have and come to terms that it can't do everything you want.

This may mean being diligent at keeping a certain SPL so that the vocal mic can have a chance at having the impact or volume difference you wish. If you simply need that much level to the back of the room, you will have to get more speakers and spread them about. What you want and the reality of what you can have will have to come to a point of equilibrium. A graphic EQ will get you 7/10ths of the way to where you want, the last three 10ths are a matter of skill and equipment quality.

Hi Luke,

Yes, I'm trying to get more loudness from the mic without it causing feedback. I will using the mic mostly for the host to make announcements. I normally turn the music all the way down for the announcements.

Soon my feedback destroyer will be arriving and I would like to know how to set it up. If I can't get it working, I plan to purchase a 31 band GEQ and try to learn how to separate offending frequencies. Any help figuring out how to set up the feedback destroyer or GEQ will be appreciated.

Truly,
Emad

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Hi Luke,

Yes, I'm trying to get more loudness from the mic without it causing feedback. I will using the mic mostly for the host to make announcements. I normally turn the music all the way down for the announcements.

Soon my feedback destroyer will be arriving and I would like to know how to set it up. If I can't get it working, I plan to purchase a 31 band GEQ and try to learn how to separate offending frequencies. Any help figuring out how to set up the feedback destroyer or GEQ will be appreciated.

Truly,
Emad

You were given sound advice from experts in the field.  You were also told where you can connect it in the signal chain.  The concepts of equalization, speaker location and gain staging are foreign to you and you appear to be hoping for an automated solution. 

I think you are going to be disappointed in the results.  Just stick it between the board and amplifier and watch it hack away.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

123db max spl and 120 deg coverage is contributing to the problem.

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not writing back sooner. I've been quite busy.

I returned the Behringer because the unit was as bad as the user manual. It made no sense. I did some more research and found the manual for a dbx unit. The manual was written in plain English, made sense and had a lot of diagrams that shows where to place the unit. I also got an Android app that lets me know the sound frequency for each feedback sound so I can set fixed filters for those particular frequencies. It's almost like a GEQ except it's menu controlled and has no faders. After I finished setting up the fixed filters it went into an automatic mode that monitors for additional feedback and cuts them out if the party host takes the mic and walks around with it.

Thanks everyone for telling me about ringing out a system. Now I don't have to worry about feedback any more.

Truly,
Emad

David Allred

A dbx unit?

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

A dbx unit?

Hi David,

Yes. It's the dbx AFS2.

Truly,
Emad

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Hi David,

Yes. It's the dbx AFS2.

Truly,
Emad

So it improved the gain before feedback?  The results exceeded your expectations?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.