ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed to set up a Behringer FBQ1000 feedback destroyer to my DJ controller  (Read 22696 times)

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

Greetings,

I will be receiving the Behringer FBQ1000 feedback destroyer in about a week so I went on YouTube to find a setup tutorial for this unit because I'm not an audio engineer. I couldn't find any so I'm reaching out to find out if anyone knows of a tutorial video or or something that can guide me step by step with easy language.

My sound system consists of the following:

Turbosound ip2000 speakers
Poineer DDJ-SR2 controller
Mackie Mix12FX mixer
Sennheiser dynamic mic

I'm not sure exactly where to place the feedback destroyer between the part of my sound system. Should it be connected between the mixer and the DJ controller or between the DJ controller and the speakers?

I also tried to read the user manual and it was above my head and didn't help in any way.

Please go easy on me.

Truly,
Emad-ud-deen
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 10:44:12 AM by Emad-ud-deen Leiman »

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment

Greetings,

I will be receiving the Behringer FBQ1000 feedback destroyer in about a week so I went on YouTube to find a setup tutorial for this unit because I'm not an audio engineer. I couldn't find any so I'm reaching out to find out if anyone knows of a tutorial video or or something that can guide me step by step with easy language.

My sound system consists of the following:

Turbosound ip2000 speakers
Poineer DDJ-SR2 controller
Mackie Mix12FX mixer
Sennheiser dynamic mic

I'm not sure exactly where to place the feedback destroyer between the part of my sound system. Should it be connected between the mixer and the DJ controller or between the DJ controller and the speakers?

I also tried to read the user manual and it was above my head and didn't help in any way.

Please go easy on me.

Truly,
Emad-ud-deen

I really don't see the need for having this piece of equipment, return it and save your money for subs. Connect your DDJ-SR2 to a stereo input on the Mackie. Connect the speakers to the Mackie main outputs. If you have enough headroom, you can connect the mic to the DDJ-SR and you might not even need the Mackie, just connect the speakers to the main outs on the DDJ-SR2.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

I really don't see the need for having this piece of equipment, return it and save your money for subs. Connect your DDJ-SR2 to a stereo input on the Mackie. Connect the speakers to the Mackie main outputs. If you have enough headroom, you can connect the mic to the DDJ-SR and you might not even need the Mackie, just connect the speakers to the main outs on the DDJ-SR2.

Hi Lance,

Before purchasing the feedback destroyer, I tried setting up the mixer and controller as you have described. I can get by without feedback only at low volume levels but I need to get the mic louder. I was thinking the feedback destroyer would allow me to increase the mic volume without any feedback if the feedback destroyer was set in auto mode which I need to find out how to do.

Truly,
Emad-ud-deen

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

I was thinking the feedback destroyer would allow me to increase the mic volume without any feedback if the feedback destroyer was set in auto mode which I need to find out how to do.

Hi there, this can be accomplished in a number of different ways - all superior to and without the use of a feedback destroyer.  Speaker placement and microphone selection come into play here, and I'd take a basic GEQ and/or PEQ any day over a feedback destroyer to reduce ringing, humming, and feedback.  I'd vote to return the Behringer unit, buy a basic 31-band GEQ, and learn how to ring out a system (along with how to place speakers and choose microphones).  All a feedback suppressor does is pull back certain frequencies or boost others, which in moderation might help but usually just ends up ruining your sound.  I prefer the manual approach in which I know exactly what's going in or coming out.  Hope this helps!   

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

Hi there, this can be accomplished in a number of different ways - all superior to and without the use of a feedback destroyer.  Speaker placement and microphone selection come into play here, and I'd take a basic GEQ and/or PEQ any day over a feedback destroyer to reduce ringing, humming, and feedback.  I'd vote to return the Behringer unit, buy a basic 31-band GEQ, and learn how to ring out a system (along with how to place speakers and choose microphones).  All a feedback suppressor does is pull back certain frequencies or boost others, which in moderation might help but usually just ends up ruining your sound.  I prefer the manual approach in which I know exactly what's going in or coming out.  Hope this helps!   

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I always have been placing my speakers out around 15 feet in front of me and to the right and left sides. The mic is placed about 10 feet away from the speakers and I'm seated around 4 feet behind the mic which is pointed out away from me.

I would like to first try the feedback destroyer and find out how to set it up. If I have problems with the sound I will start looking for the 31-band GEQ. If I go with the GEQ, can you direct me to a video tutorial on how to ring out my system?

Truly,
Emad-ud-deen

Geert Friedhof

Why are you 4 feet behind the mic, which is pointing away from you?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

I always have been placing my speakers out around 15 feet in front of me and to the right and left sides. The mic is placed about 10 feet away from the speakers and I'm seated around 4 feet behind the mic which is pointed out away from me.

I would expect, in a DJ environment, that the vocal mic would be within an inch of your lips, and as far upstage of the speakers as possible.

Mac

Emad-ud-deen Leiman

Hi Geert,

It's pointing away from me and I have it 4 feet in front of me so the party host can make announcements. I thought 4 feet should be enough for the host to get behind it.

For the speakers, if you draw an imaginary horizontal line between them, they are at least 15 feet in front of the mic. Horizontally they are also at least 20 feet apart.

Truly,
Emad

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB

??. You need a mic for yourself close Within  2 inches, pointed towards your mouth .
     a separate mic for announcers that you can turn up and down you're creating the issue by your setup.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

I'm seated around 4 feet behind the mic which is pointed out away from me.

That's your problem.  As others have already said, the mic should be no more than an inch or two away from your mouth.  You're also using the mic backwards - it needs to point towards you, or should I say towards the source of the audio.  Most microphones will, by design, reject audio that comes from unexpected directions such as to the sides or behind.

No amount of equipment will fix the problem you're having when the microphone is set up such as how you describe it, especially when playing at DJ volumes.   

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.