ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack Drawer Support?  (Read 11346 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Rack Drawer Support?
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »

I have found that steel drawers themselves are quite heavy.

Very true.  I always forget how heavy those things are until I order more of them or reconfigure a rack.

Good to know about the poly ones, but I haven't seen any posted on our local CL.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 06:47:45 PM »

Very true.  I always forget how heavy those things are until I order more of them or reconfigure a rack.

Good to know about the poly ones, but I haven't seen any posted on our local CL.

Dave

I think I probably got the last one locally off CL Dave - LOL. I see them on eBay, Reverb and Music go round once in a while.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Michael Hogeland

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »

Those poly ones are probably much lighter, but they look like ....well....  like poly.  I've never liked that look myself.  I'm actually thinking of trying to make the facing of the rack more "pretty" because it's almost always clearly visible at a show.  I'm thinking, if it's going to be visible, it might as well be flashy - since we're a dance/pop/show band. 

LeDs, strobe, idk, something fun to make the PA not just a big black ugly box, you know?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 10:11:34 AM »

Those poly ones are probably much lighter, but they look like ....well....  like poly.  I've never liked that look myself.  I'm actually thinking of trying to make the facing of the rack more "pretty" because it's almost always clearly visible at a show.  I'm thinking, if it's going to be visible, it might as well be flashy - since we're a dance/pop/show band. 

LeDs, strobe, idk, something fun to make the PA not just a big black ugly box, you know?

I do - but there is no way anyone could tell these draws are poly - unless they walk up to the rack, bend down and start analyzing everything in it.
That's like saying all SKB cases are ugly - I use plenty of those too !
Racks are generally not a lightweight piece of equipment so my thinking is that if something helps with that - it's only good.

If you are happy adding 10 times the weight to get steel - be my guest.  ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Michael Hogeland

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »

I'm pretty new to the sound game, I've only been running for my band for a few years now, and it's been slow road of upgrades from my first set-up of a couple of powered speakers and a 6 channel mixer, to the current XR18 and a host of speakers, both FoH and Monitors.  This is just one more upgrade into the world of a more professional sound rig - my last rack was only a 6u front, slant top mixer.  So I have little to no experience hauling the big boys around.

That being said, I do realize what I have is overkill, heavy, and only getting heavier as I add components like steel drawers.  The casters on the bottom will help obviously, but traversing the basement stairs for storage will be interesting (likely flipped up on its head and carried down on a dolly).  I'm sure after a year or two lugging around this big heavy box, I'll be looking to upgrade again to SKB/roto and multiple boxes so each of them can be lighter.  But until then, this one was free, and they discontinued your poly drawers, so steel will have to do. 

Jay Marr

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 12:18:30 PM »

I do - but there is no way anyone could tell these draws are poly - unless they walk up to the rack, bend down and start analyzing everything in it.
That's like saying all SKB cases are ugly - I use plenty of those too !
Racks are generally not a lightweight piece of equipment so my thinking is that if something helps with that - it's only good.

If you are happy adding 10 times the weight to get steel - be my guest.  ;)

Has anyone ever seen a 2 space plastic drawer?
I've googled the heck out of that, but never found one.
I would kill for one of those.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »

Has anyone ever seen a 2 space plastic drawer?
I've googled the heck out of that, but never found one.
I would kill for one of those.

No- one seems to make them anymore Jay. If I had the know how and means I'd start manufacturing them myself ..... there is a market there for sure.

The first one I got years ago when it came with an SKB rack I bought. I fell in love with it having struggled with heavy steel drawers all these years. Then when I went to find another one new, they had discontinued making them.
Then one came up locally on CL and I grabbed it before anyone else could. When I have seen them from time to time on eBay and alike, they haven't been there for long and they have sold for good money.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »

Another good discussion - what do you keep in YOUR racks?  Amps and mixers are obvious, but what else?  Do you use a shelf for something you find extremely convenient?  Drawers for microphones?  Give me some thoughts since I have around 12U of extra space.

I keep my drop snakes in my racks permanently attached to my mixers or stage boxes depending which rack I am using.  I am finding that using two drop snakes one for back line and one for vocals and front DIs  and using shorter mic cords; 12 or 15 ft;  really speeds up set and tear down.  (Of course now I have about 50 25ft xlr cables that aren't being used.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »

No plastic drawers, but aluminium is about halve the weight of steel, and inverse in price. It will save 20-30 pounds on three drawers. BTW: if you start racking from the bottom, you don't need extra bracing in the back, because the drawers rest on each other.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:07:34 AM by Geert Friedhof »

Terry Martin

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 11:09:18 AM »

I use the rear brackets from audiopile EWI.  You WILL fill the drawers to capacity + over time.   Brace them properly and forget about it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 11:09:18 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.