ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack Drawer Support?  (Read 11346 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Rack Drawer Support?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »

No plastic drawers, but aluminium is about halve the weight of steel, and inverse in price. It will save 20-30 pounds on three drawers. BTW: if you start racking from the bottom, you don't need extra bracing in the back, because the drawers rest on each other.
So this put even more load on the lower drawers.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »

So this put even more load on the lower drawers.
One frame rested on the one below it is very different from the weight causing a torque on the front frame/rack screws.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »

One frame rested on the one below it is very different from the weight causing a torque on the front frame/rack screws.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

But they are still only supported in the front, so some of the weight of the upper drawers is added to the lower ones.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

guest150369

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 10:02:37 AM »

Sorry for resurrecting damn old thread, but maybe someone here can help me out? I want to make a drawer of my own, but I don't know where to find proper components. I've found schematics on the internet not so long ago, but I don't know where to find decent stuff such as linear guides and etc. Can someone here give me an advice? One of my friends told me that I should look for German linear guides (or, as the Germans call it, führungsschienen) and even told me where to find it. But I want at least one more opinion about it.

P.S. I hope this is not against the rules. If nobody answers my question here, I will create my own thread.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »

Sorry for resurrecting damn old thread, but maybe someone here can help me out? I want to make a drawer on my own, but I don't know where to find proper components. I've found schematics on the internet not so long ago, but I don't know where to find decent stuff such as linear guides and etc. Can someone here give me an advice?

P.S. I hope this is not against the rules. If nobody answers my question here, I will create my own thread.

As long as you're using your real name for your posts, you did nothing against the rules. You sorta committed an internet sin by resurrecting an old (zombie) thread instead of starting a new one, but it's not that old, so no worries!

Anyway, drawer slides are available from almost hardware store, even the big box hardware stores. Here's an example: https://www.homedepot.com/s/drawer%2520slides. Slides can vary in quality, so take a close look and know what you're buying.

You'll likely get better pricing from other places, and you'll find more rack-specific hardware by going to places like TCH or Penn-Elcom.

I think a nice latching mechanism will be more difficult to source than the drawer slides, although both of the companies I mentioned have at least one option for slam/slide latches.

In my opinion, the cost of a decent rack drawer is low enough that I'm not sure I'd want to go to the trouble of making my own, but it shouldn't be all that difficult if you have time and the right tools available.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.