ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dynamic EQ on Midas PRO  (Read 3079 times)

Miguel Dahl

The Dynamic EQ on Midas PRO
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:35:38 AM »

I don't understand the GUI for it.

If I want it to suppress a given frequency range, I want it set to  Below = Off, right? When I do that and also dial the ratio CCW it seems like the band i'm opwerating with pops up over the 0 level, and is being filled with color. So to me it looks like it's sort of boosting that frequency range when at idle.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: The Dynamic EQ on Midas PRO
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »

It's a good EQ, but it default setting is weird.

Use the ratio to get it into compress mode (left side of "0" IIRC).
Turn off below.
Adjust threshold.

That ratio knob is the key to get it to work, nothing happens if you don't adjust that first. From the manual:

"Sets the ratio of the compression or expansionapplied to the selected band. The centre positionproduces a ratio of 1:1, which will have no effect. As the control is turned anti-clockwise, more compression is applied, up to a ratio of 25:1. If the control is turned clockwise from the centre position, expansion is gradually applied up to the ratio of 1:25."

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 10:44:44 AM »

It's a good EQ, but it default setting is weird.

Use the ratio to get it into compress mode (left side of "0" IIRC).
Turn off below.
Adjust threshold.

That ratio knob is the key to get it to work, nothing happens if you don't adjust that first. From the manual:

"Sets the ratio of the compression or expansionapplied to the selected band. The centre positionproduces a ratio of 1:1, which will have no effect. As the control is turned anti-clockwise, more compression is applied, up to a ratio of 25:1. If the control is turned clockwise from the centre position, expansion is gradually applied up to the ratio of 1:25."

Indeed. I read the manual after the last gig just to confirm that I wasn't off about how to use it. But the visuals seems just strange, if I remember correctly. It just looks like it's boosting the set frequency range when it's not doing anythhing. I couldn't get it to look like what I expected it to look like, meaning that I see the range with filled color work downward from 0/threshold when it's doing its thing.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »

Indeed. I read the manual after the last gig just to confirm that I wasn't off about how to use it. But the visuals seems just strange, if I remember correctly. It just looks like it's boosting the set frequency range when it's not doing anythhing. I couldn't get it to look like what I expected it to look like, meaning that I see the range with filled color work downward from 0/threshold when it's doing its thing.

Give me 2 sec and I'll download the offline editor and have a look. It's in there, but I can't remember all the parameters unless I have it in front of me.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 11:29:52 AM »

Does this look better?

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 06:44:30 AM »

Does this look better?

The way I read that is that it's fully dampening those bands now without input, and when you apply an input the meter will go from full attenuation up towards 0dB.. So to me looks backward.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 07:28:29 AM »

The way I read that is that it's fully dampening those bands now without input, and when you apply an input the meter will go from full attenuation up towards 0dB.. So to me looks backward.

Yes, With those settings I put in it probably will do that.
But, the boosting you talked about is not visible, right?

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »

Yes, With those settings I put in it probably will do that.
But, the boosting you talked about is not visible, right?

No. I understand that the boosting was my error. I must have remembered that from when the below-button was not depressed, or threshold was dialed clockwise from the 12 o'clock position.

But, does this comp show "normal" behavior? I'd expect those dips to be not colored, and filled with color when it compresses a signal, and the meters to be at 0, then go down showing compression when a signal is applied.

Your screenshot is showing the exact opposite of what I'm describing, and that was also what I saw then Below was depressed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:44:24 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 01:32:56 PM »

No. I understand that the boosting was my error. I must have remembered that from when the below-button was not depressed, or threshold was dialed clockwise from the 12 o'clock position.

But, does this comp show "normal" behavior? I'd expect those dips to be not colored, and filled with color when it compresses a signal, and the meters to be at 0, then go down showing compression when a signal is applied.

Your screenshot is showing the exact opposite of what I'm describing, and that was also what I saw then Below was depressed.

I see. I loaded a show offline to have a look and I can't get it to behave like I know it does on an actual console.
Don't have a console available so I can't check if I'm doing something wrong or the editor is doing something.
Sorry.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 01:32:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.