ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixmatching subs?  (Read 16318 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Mixmatching subs?
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »

Build cabinets to driver's specs; as opposed to selecting drivers to cabinet's specs...

That's for best results,
that's why OEM driver replacement tends to work best. 
There are exceptions to OEM replacement being best of course, but you have to be able to model to find them.

If you are committed to the 18SW115's (excellent driver) , I'd look at the numerous cabinet designs built for them, on diyaudio.

IMO, DIY subs are the one place we can still save alot of $$$, and play up with the top tier.. no matter how high their bar.
I've yet to see a commercial design I'd rather have over my current DIY subs...

Brian Strachan

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »

Alright. I'm on board.

I'm going to replace the drivers in the 1 bad cabinet with OEMs and continue to use them until they are sold. I'll throttle back on them and cross rent when I need it. The subs I rent are DIY and pretty similar to my Yamis, but more powerful. I can afford to rent from them.

Once I have those cabinets sold I think I'll build the Othorns in the 21" variant and call it a day. I don't know a lot about those JTR subs but the little I read seemed to show good things. I'll continue to look into them as well.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2018, 04:30:08 PM »

Brian, I own a pair of the JTR Orbit Shifter Pro subwoofers in 4-ohm.  By all measures they are a top quality subwoofer, easy to move with one person, make a lot of noise with minimal input but can handle a lot of power if you've got it.  If your clients aren't demanding major name-brands, they are worth considering.

The reason I didn't suggest those particular ones is that they are designed more for output above 40hz (these things with kick drum are unreal) but fall off quickly in the mid-30's so for your EDM application you might find them lacking low end response.  The 218 design is tuned lower in a similar sized cabinet, so more in line with your needs.  The specs they list on the website are very "realistic", and not the optimistic marketing hype that some manufacturers use.

There's a write-up on the 218's elsewhere on this forum, here's a link.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Brian Strachan

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2018, 07:11:46 PM »

Brian, I own a pair of the JTR Orbit Shifter Pro subwoofers in 4-ohm.  By all measures they are a top quality subwoofer, easy to move with one person, make a lot of noise with minimal input but can handle a lot of power if you've got it.  If your clients aren't demanding major name-brands, they are worth considering.

The reason I didn't suggest those particular ones is that they are designed more for output above 40hz (these things with kick drum are unreal) but fall off quickly in the mid-30's so for your EDM application you might find them lacking low end response.  The 218 design is tuned lower in a similar sized cabinet, so more in line with your needs.  The specs they list on the website are very "realistic", and not the optimistic marketing hype that some manufacturers use.

There's a write-up on the 218's elsewhere on this forum, here's a link.

My clients are not asking for really anything yet, so I don't think it'll be an issue. For the stuff we're doing I don't think I should actually be concerning myself with riders.

I will take a serious look at those 218s. I did see that thread, but hadn't fully explored it. The price point of those is certainly very attractive and everything I've read concerning JTR products has been good. I run a PL-380 currently which I believe will meet my needs for some time to come.

Thank you for that recommendation. It's true us EDM guys love the low end and every small system in this area really falls apart below 40hz. If I could get into that lower range, I'd be setting myself apart.

EDIT: Please excuse my ignorance, but can I expect to pay the $1899 "Manufacture direct" price tag, or would that only be for dealers?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:15:14 PM by Brian Strachan »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2018, 03:51:37 AM »

My clients are not asking for really anything yet, so I don't think it'll be an issue. For the stuff we're doing I don't think I should actually be concerning myself with riders.

I will take a serious look at those 218s. I did see that thread, but hadn't fully explored it. The price point of those is certainly very attractive and everything I've read concerning JTR products has been good. I run a PL-380 currently which I believe will meet my needs for some time to come.

Thank you for that recommendation. It's true us EDM guys love the low end and every small system in this area really falls apart below 40hz. If I could get into that lower range, I'd be setting myself apart.

EDIT: Please excuse my ignorance, but can I expect to pay the $1899 "Manufacture direct" price tag, or would that only be for dealers?

Don't worry about riders. If it comes up, tell them you've got this many 21" tapped horns which provide full power to below 30Hz. You'll be fine.

With regards to pricing, why not get in touch with JTR direct? By all accounts the owner is a pleasure to deal with. I believe he does post around here from time to time.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2018, 12:23:15 PM »

Yes. 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Greg Harwood

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »

OP...if you haven't looked into BassBoss yet, I would recommend checking them out.  They make a bunch of different subs geared toward DJ/EDM type stuff.  They play loud and low.  I got to hear a local BassBoss demo and heard almost every sub they offer and I was blown away.  They have a 21" sub that made the hair on my arms stand at attention and rumbled my innards at about 25ft away.  Check them out.
Greg H.

Brian Strachan

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »

OP...if you haven't looked into BassBoss yet, I would recommend checking them out.  They make a bunch of different subs geared toward DJ/EDM type stuff.  They play loud and low.  I got to hear a local BassBoss demo and heard almost every sub they offer and I was blown away.  They have a 21" sub that made the hair on my arms stand at attention and rumbled my innards at about 25ft away.  Check them out.

I have quite a lot of experience with BassBoss actually and in the sake of not putting my foot in my mouth, I'm just going to leave it at I'm not interested in their products. Especially not at the price point.

Thank you though!

Greg Harwood

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »

I have quite a lot of experience with BassBoss actually and in the sake of not putting my foot in my mouth, I'm just going to leave it at I'm not interested in their products. Especially not at the price point.

Thank you though!

Fair enough.  Didn't see anyone mention them so I thought I'd bring them up.  I have no other experience with them outside of the demo.
Greg H.

Brian Strachan

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2018, 04:57:10 PM »

Fair enough.  Didn't see anyone mention them so I thought I'd bring them up.  I have no other experience with them outside of the demo.

Several of the clubs in my area use them and those of us who have an idea of what quality sound is (just compared to the drunk people in the club) have been disappointed with the sound of the products. Despite that, those subs definitely raise hairs and go quite low.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2018, 04:57:10 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.