ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixmatching subs?  (Read 16303 times)

Brian Strachan

Re: Mixmatching subs?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »

I did not look up the specs on your chosen drivers so...

Just because some drivers are awesome in some other boxes does not mean they will work worth a damn in some other box.

There is science in choosing replacement drivers so make sure the parameters on these are compatible with the parameters of the OEM drivers.

By this i don’t mean things like watts or impedance.
There are these things called Theil Small parameters and they are what matter.

You did check those, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In my case with the Yami cabs, I am going off of another post in this forum. A guy beefed his cabs and replaced the drivers with B&C 18SW100s with good success. The cab requirements for the 115s seem to be similar enough I think they will also work well. The guys who did that swap ran the specs from the eminence software and the 100s were a fit.

In the case of the Orthorn, Ricci green lit the 115s as being acceptable in those cabs. That’s what I was going off of..
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:22:00 PM by Brian Strachan »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 12:07:51 AM »

In my case with the Yami cabs, I am going off of another post in this forum. A guy beefed his cabs and replaced the drivers with B&C 18SW100s with good success. The cab requirements for the 115s seem to be similar enough I think they will also work well. The guys who did that swap ran the specs from the eminence software and the 100s were a fit.

In the case of the Orthorn, Ricci green lit the 115s as being acceptable in those cabs. That’s what I was going off of..

What does “acceptable “ in this context mean? Compatible parameters for the cabinet design? Sounds ok?

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Brian Strachan

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »

What does “acceptable “ in this context mean? Compatible parameters for the cabinet design? Sounds ok?

Yes comparable parameters for can design and volume. The guys who did this reported a significant increase in performance over the stock drivers.

I feel you’re quite skeptical of it. Do you have thoughts for another route? I just don’t see being able to get 2-4 cabs purchased and built within the next couple of months.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 10:42:13 AM »

Rob's trying to warn that simply swapping speakers around won't always give better performance.
Your best bet is to take 10 minutes, fire up WinISD and make sure the 18SW115 will give decent performance in the cabinets you have.

FWIW, I'd still want 21"s in the Orthorn. Dropping an 18" in there will likely give a peakier response with lower maximum output. I'd expect output to be decent for sure, but the cabinet is really designed to get the most out of a high-power 21" unit.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Josh Ricci

• Data-Bass
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »

The Othorn tuning is at about 27 or 28Hz in order to reach a solid 25Hz with headroom. High pass should be set at about 23Hz. The 18SW115 will work in the cab, meaning the response and behavior should be good, however it will have about 4dB less headroom than the 21SW152, 21NLW9601, 21DS115, etc.... This may not sound like much but it is. I really recommend using a 21" driver if at all possible. Tuning lower than most cabs requires extra driver displacement. You need all that you can get. By all accounts these do quite well with EDM.

Brian Strachan

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »

The Othorn tuning is at about 27 or 28Hz in order to reach a solid 25Hz with headroom. High pass should be set at about 23Hz. The 18SW115 will work in the cab, meaning the response and behavior should be good, however it will have about 4dB less headroom than the 21SW152, 21NLW9601, 21DS115, etc.... This may not sound like much but it is. I really recommend using a 21" driver if at all possible. Tuning lower than most cabs requires extra driver displacement. You need all that you can get. By all accounts these do quite well with EDM.

Straight from the man himself I guess.

My biggest issue is being caught between having working equipment now and having better equipment later. I know what the long-term best choice is. Just a difficult pill to swallow.

I suppose for the time being I can rent subs and try to sell off mine. Although I don't see them being worth much of anything with 1 bad driver and potentially more hurt. Fortunately replacement stock drivers for the yami cabs are very cheap.

My next pressing issue is finding someone to build them. I did some searches for speaker cabinet builders in the Austin area but only seemed to come up with people who build cabs for guitars.

Brian Strachan

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »

What kind of tops are people using with these Othorns?

I'm using Peavy SP4 IIs currently. I am actually quite happy with how they sound, but ultimately they're not really meant to be used with subs. I don't have any intention of changing these soon because they ARE working well, but I'm curious as to what else is being used.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »

Brian, if I were in your shoes, I would replace the Yammy drivers with the OEM originals, and then try to sell them. 

Then set aside your money for something that meets your criteria and rent until you have it.  If you're not charging enough for your services to be able to cross-rent equipment when necessary, you're not charging enough.

Putting non-OEM drivers into the Yamaha subs might be suitable for the short-term for your needs but it doesn't sound like it's the long-term solution.  If a potential buyer for the Yamahas already has a few of those cabs, they won't want non-Yamaha drivers in them.  It also sounds like your plan would involve using those non-OEM drivers in a different project later, meaning you'd still need some drivers to put in there in order to sell them.

Personally I'd rather store/transport/deploy as few cabinets as possible to reach my goals, rather than just buying more of the Yamaha cabinets to get to your desired SPL.

However, this is against what you've said you can do with your budget currently, and you mentioned having shows coming up and I don't know what cross-rental rates/availability are like in your area, or what your storage/transport/labour limitations are, so take this as just one perspective.  I've spent a lot of money on gear, and it gets more expensive whenever you try to compromise performance for a "deal" in the short term, because in the long term you end up buying what you should have on day one and spend more money in lessons (blown drivers, time researching and replacing drivers and having discussions like this) and whatever your "deal" gear depreciated in the meantime.  Buy once, cry once. 

If you need low freq performance, have you looked at the JTR Captivator 218Pro?
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 02:35:17 PM »

Many years ago when dinosaurs walked the planet and us poor musicians didn't have a pot to pee in, instead of buying speakers/subs, I used to replace blown speakers in old cabinets all the time and I didn't have anything like the knowledge or experience I have now (and no-one to guide me like you guys)
Celestions were readily available in the UK then - probably still are and got used for everything it seemed.
I'd say my success rate from guessing what would work and what wouldn't was probably about 80% plus so I suppose I got lucky.
I enjoyed the DIY sided of things but tried to pick up pre made cabs so I didn't have to make them myself - I'd gut them and refurbish...... those were the days.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »

+1 to replacing the blown drivers with OEM. Throttle back a bit so you are not throwing money away on blown drivers.

In 30+ years I have replaced only a couple of drivers and I know why.

Another plus for renting when you need more low end is that you can think of it as auditioning and you get to try em in your rig. It will bring more confidence to your eventual purchase.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.