ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixmatching subs?  (Read 16301 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Mixmatching subs?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »

Unfortunately what I am NOT good at is building cabinets and I can’t say I know anyone off hand who is.

As much as I agree with you guys about DIY subs, OP did say they are a no go.....

Roland Clarke

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »

As much as I agree with you guys about DIY subs, OP did say they are a no go.....

That will teach me not to skim threads!  There are people on the threads for these subs who will undertake third party builds, and often you can see pictures of their work, so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.  The other alternative is to look for something decent secondhand, not so easy I feel, good isn’t cheap, cheap isn’t usually any good.

As an aside, my build was prompted through needing a rig for small, medium size, gigs.  I used to hire, until fees, vs rates made it unviable.  I bought a small srx rig, 812’s, 828, but it runs out of headroom and I’m either nursing it close to the edge or compromising to keep it within limitation.  Working for clients with D&B, L’acoustic, Meyer, KV2, etc, meant I wanted to get something this standard, but with prices around £30-40,000 not realistic for the amount of gigs I needed to supply kit for and client budgets.  Going the DIY option, can indeed work, however, I would caution getting caught up with some of the “tweak” brigade, some diy designs are just impractical and miss basic design objectives and don’t cut corners in terms of build quality and drivers.

Brian Strachan

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 04:31:26 PM »

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility, it's just highly unlikely. I have no wood working tools myself so I would HAVE to find someone who has the tools and is willing to help/not charge an insane amount of money.

I have kept a close eye on the used market near me, but I haven't seen much of anything worth my time. It's mostly JBL stuff or inexpensive powered gear. Granted I don't know of many used sites that tailor specifically to audio. I've found a few but 99% of the ads are sold or thousands of miles away. I am in the Austin Texas area.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 05:37:04 PM »

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility, it's just highly unlikely. I have no wood working tools myself so I would HAVE to find someone who has the tools and is willing to help/not charge an insane amount of money.

I have kept a close eye on the used market near me, but I haven't seen much of anything worth my time. It's mostly JBL stuff or inexpensive powered gear. Granted I don't know of many used sites that tailor specifically to audio. I've found a few but 99% of the ads are sold or thousands of miles away. I am in the Austin Texas area.

What skills outside of EDM/audio do you have?  I ask because the "maker movement" is very strong (and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a workshop group or two in the Austin area) and having skills you can barter is a respected thing.  Maker-spaces usually have well equipped shops in woodworking, metals, industrial sewing, 3D printing, laser/plasma/water cutting tools.  The primary restriction is not doing commercial production but building some subs for yourself is probably okay.  You'll have to join up, pay membership and hourly shop fees, etc but having a nice shop and meeting some good, helpful people is well worth it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:43:26 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Strachan

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 07:19:27 PM »

What skills outside of EDM/audio do you have?  I ask because the "maker movement" is very strong (and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a workshop group or two in the Austin area) and having skills you can barter is a respected thing.  Maker-spaces usually have well equipped shops in woodworking, metals, industrial sewing, 3D printing, laser/plasma/water cutting tools.  The primary restriction is not doing commercial production but building some subs for yourself is probably okay.  You'll have to join up, pay membership and hourly shop fees, etc but having a nice shop and meeting some good, helpful people is well worth it.

I would call myself a man of many trades. I can (and have done) do just about anything I set my mind to from rebuilding an engine to mixing sound. I wasn't aware of maker shops, but that might certainly be something I can look into.

My next grievance with home built subs is rider issues. While that's not an issue for me yet, I think it will be in the foreseeable future. That's part of the reason I had been trying to keep my eyes peeled for some Danley subs. Home built would certainly help me reduce cost though. Sounds like I need to do some more personal research.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 01:09:18 AM »

I would call myself a man of many trades. I can (and have done) do just about anything I set my mind to from rebuilding an engine to mixing sound. I wasn't aware of maker shops, but that might certainly be something I can look into.

My next grievance with home built subs is rider issues. While that's not an issue for me yet, I think it will be in the foreseeable future. That's part of the reason I had been trying to keep my eyes peeled for some Danley subs. Home built would certainly help me reduce cost though. Sounds like I need to do some more personal research.

I had been wanting Danley subs for quite a while and a year ago was able to pick up some used ones from a company needing cash to pay for their upgraded rig. Glad I did.
Patience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 03:50:39 AM »

I run a full custom-built PA system. Haven't hit rider issues yet. I just send out the specs of the system (2x10" mains, 1300W RMS, 2600W peak, 15" subs, 1000W RMS, 2000W peak, tri-amped, digital processing) and the artist's management is usually happy with that, including Artists You've Heard Of.

Having a video of the system set up in a large space seems to help.

FWIW, for EDM I'd go straight for Orthorns. I had a DJ recently where most tracks had the 31Hz bar on my RTA lit up solidly, which has got me re-thinking my current subs which are flat-to-40Hz, but don't do much below that.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Brian Strachan

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 04:25:36 PM »

So I think I’ve made a decision.

I believe I’m going to try and purchase 4 B&C 18SW115s and put them in my Yami cabs for the time being. I have a couple more shows coming and need something. I’m aware these drivers will not see their full potential in these cabs, but that’s okay.

I found the 50 page thread on DIY about the Orthorn cabs and my spidey senses started tingling especially when I realized he had already green lit the 18SW115s for use. All of my drivers would be right at home in those cabs when I have the time and money to be able to build/have them built. Not to mention if I want to upgrade to 21s down the line I can do so easily. I could build 2 initially then build even 2 more if I wanted to stick with 18s.

Any objections to this idea?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »

So I think I’ve made a decision.

I believe I’m going to try and purchase 4 B&C 18SW115s and put them in my Yami cabs for the time being. I have a couple more shows coming and need something. I’m aware these drivers will not see their full potential in these cabs, but that’s okay.

I found the 50 page thread on DIY about the Orthorn cabs and my spidey senses started tingling especially when I realized he had already green lit the 18SW115s for use. All of my drivers would be right at home in those cabs when I have the time and money to be able to build/have them built. Not to mention if I want to upgrade to 21s down the line I can do so easily. I could build 2 initially then build even 2 more if I wanted to stick with 18s.

Any objections to this idea?

I did not look up the specs on your chosen drivers so...

Just because some drivers are awesome in some other boxes does not mean they will work worth a damn in some other box.

There is science in choosing replacement drivers so make sure the parameters on these are compatible with the parameters of the OEM drivers.

By this i don’t mean things like watts or impedance.
There are these things called Theil Small parameters and they are what matter.

You did check those, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Roland Clarke

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 04:43:59 AM »

The 18sw115 driver is a popular choice.  I use them in my tapped horns and I believe Danley use them in their th18, they are also a recommended driver for Art Welters keystone sub.  My only reservation re using them with the Orthorn, would be the lower tuning.  In the above mentioned designs most people are high passing at around 28-30hz and running them lower will likely reduce their maximum spl.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 04:43:59 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.