ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixmatching subs?  (Read 16306 times)

Brian Strachan

Mixmatching subs?
« on: October 29, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »

Hello everyone,

I’m getting ready to do another show (all EDM DJs) with my equipment which consists of 2 Yamaha SW218v cabinets. The person running the show has access to 2 Peavy QW218 subs that are powered by a QSC PL830. We were both wondering what would happen if we paired them with my subwoofers and ran everything off of the single amp. The PL380 is capable of running at 2ohms providing 4000 watts per channel.

My real question is would there be any significant sound issues running 2 cabinets of one brand of less powerful drivers in line with 2 cabinets of another brand of more powerful drivers. They’re both front loaded dual 18” cabs with very similar size specs. I don’t see if being a huge issue, but I simply don’t know enough.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Mixmatching subs?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 08:57:44 PM »

Hello everyone,

I’m getting ready to do another show (all EDM DJs) with my equipment which consists of 2 Yamaha SW218v cabinets. The person running the show has access to 2 Peavy QW218 subs that are powered by a QSC PL830. We were both wondering what would happen if we paired them with my subwoofers and ran everything off of the single amp. The PL380 is capable of running at 2ohms providing 4000 watts per channel.

My real question is would there be any significant sound issues running 2 cabinets of one brand of less powerful drivers in line with 2 cabinets of another brand of more powerful drivers. They’re both front loaded dual 18” cabs with very similar size specs. I don’t see if being a huge issue, but I simply don’t know enough.

Between the mismatch and the general strain of running the amp @ 2ohms I think your net net will be 0 or perhaps a bit less.  You didn't mention what you had to power your cabinets.

The real questions is do you have the 30amp 120v line that the PL380 requires to come close to delivering rated power?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »

Just use the Peavey subs, PL380 amp, and 30A circuit. Let the Yamaha subs rest at home. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Brian Strachan

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:07:56 PM »

Between the mismatch and the general strain of running the amp @ 2ohms I think your net net will be 0 or perhaps a bit less.  You didn't mention what you had to power your cabinets.

The real questions is do you have the 30amp 120v line that the PL380 requires to come close to delivering rated power?

I typically power my cabs with a couple of crown amps which works, but these EDM guys love a lot of Low end. I know of a guy locally who runs 4 cabinets of dual 18s off of a PL380 with great success so that’s why I thought to ask.

I’m not sure whether he has the 30amp line or not, but I’m also not sure if we’ll have 20 or 30amp circuits.

Brian Strachan

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 09:32:13 PM »

I suppose I didn’t realize that amp would need 30amps to reach its full potential. Sounds like on a 20qmp circuit it might not be that useful to use?

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »

I suppose I didn’t realize that amp would need 30amps to reach its full potential. Sounds like on a 20qmp circuit it might not be that useful to use?

Most outlets are 15 amp not 20 but even at 20amp 20*120=2400 watts at 100% conversion (no amp can do that) so anything over 2400 watts is using the reserve in the amp.  EDM music has a high crest factor so uses tons of power.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Strachan

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 10:20:44 PM »

Most outlets are 15 amp not 20 but even at 20amp 20*120=2400 watts at 100% conversion (no amp can do that) so anything over 2400 watts is using the reserve in the amp.  EDM music has a high crest factor so uses tons of power.

Understood. I’ll look into whether we have a 30amp circuit or not. I’m inclined to say yes, but I’ll have to check.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »

Understood. I’ll look into whether we have a 30amp circuit or not. I’m inclined to say yes, but I’ll have to check.
Brian,

EDM music often has a low crest factor which means more average power sent to the drivers even with out clipping the amps. The crest factor can be as little as 3dB, compared with 10 or more in more usual genres, 3 or more times the "cook factor".

Considering the similarity of the subs, doubling up will increase sensitivity by 3 dB, so you would use only half the power for the same SPL level.

Considering the PL380 can use up a 20 amp circuit, best to use your amps for your cabinets so you can split the amps between two circuits.

Considering power compression if only one pair of subs were used, even more than a 6 dB increase in level could be expected using both sets of subs.

Art
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:17:39 PM by Art Welter »

Brian Strachan

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 12:36:10 AM »

Brian,

EDM music often has a low crest factor which means more average power sent to the drivers even with out clipping the amps. The crest factor can be as little as 3dB, compared with 10 or more in more usual genres, 3 or more times the "cook factor".

Considering the similarity of the subs, doubling up will increase sensitivity by 3 dB, so you would use only half the power for the same SPL level.

Considering the PL380 can use up a 20 amp circuit, best to use your amps for your cabinets so you can split the amps between two circuits.

Considering power compression if only one pair of subs were used, even more than a 6 dB increase in level could be expected using both sets of subs.

Art

Bam. That’s everything I needed to know!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 01:08:55 AM »

Brian,

Art
Art is right on the crest factor.  I understood concept but misused the term.

Also the PL380 uses an L5-30P twist lock.  We breaker ours at 30 amps.  The specs do call for 18 amps,  however the math still inidicates a continuous tone that depletes the curve could excedd 18 amps at 120V

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 01:08:55 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.