Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Mixmatching subs?

(1/11) > >>

Brian Strachan:
Hello everyone,

Iím getting ready to do another show (all EDM DJs) with my equipment which consists of 2 Yamaha SW218v cabinets. The person running the show has access to 2 Peavy QW218 subs that are powered by a QSC PL830. We were both wondering what would happen if we paired them with my subwoofers and ran everything off of the single amp. The PL380 is capable of running at 2ohms providing 4000 watts per channel.

My real question is would there be any significant sound issues running 2 cabinets of one brand of less powerful drivers in line with 2 cabinets of another brand of more powerful drivers. Theyíre both front loaded dual 18Ē cabs with very similar size specs. I donít see if being a huge issue, but I simply donít know enough.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Brian Strachan on October 29, 2018, 08:20:15 pm ---Hello everyone,

Iím getting ready to do another show (all EDM DJs) with my equipment which consists of 2 Yamaha SW218v cabinets. The person running the show has access to 2 Peavy QW218 subs that are powered by a QSC PL830. We were both wondering what would happen if we paired them with my subwoofers and ran everything off of the single amp. The PL380 is capable of running at 2ohms providing 4000 watts per channel.

My real question is would there be any significant sound issues running 2 cabinets of one brand of less powerful drivers in line with 2 cabinets of another brand of more powerful drivers. Theyíre both front loaded dual 18Ē cabs with very similar size specs. I donít see if being a huge issue, but I simply donít know enough.

--- End quote ---

Between the mismatch and the general strain of running the amp @ 2ohms I think your net net will be 0 or perhaps a bit less.  You didn't mention what you had to power your cabinets.

The real questions is do you have the 30amp 120v line that the PL380 requires to come close to delivering rated power?

Caleb Dueck:
Just use the Peavey subs, PL380 amp, and 30A circuit. Let the Yamaha subs rest at home. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Brian Strachan:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on October 29, 2018, 08:57:44 pm ---Between the mismatch and the general strain of running the amp @ 2ohms I think your net net will be 0 or perhaps a bit less.  You didn't mention what you had to power your cabinets.

The real questions is do you have the 30amp 120v line that the PL380 requires to come close to delivering rated power?

--- End quote ---

I typically power my cabs with a couple of crown amps which works, but these EDM guys love a lot of Low end. I know of a guy locally who runs 4 cabinets of dual 18s off of a PL380 with great success so thatís why I thought to ask.

Iím not sure whether he has the 30amp line or not, but Iím also not sure if weíll have 20 or 30amp circuits.

Brian Strachan:
I suppose I didnít realize that amp would need 30amps to reach its full potential. Sounds like on a 20qmp circuit it might not be that useful to use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version