ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper Way To Power a JBL 5628  (Read 12973 times)

Mario Pollio

Re: Proper Way To Power a JBL 5628
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »

Dude for the price of that amp you can get a Danley DTS10 and an amp for it!  That bad boy has real, usable response down to 10hz.  Will vaporize the JBL sub.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

+1.

Alternatively, DIY can be an option. Subwoofers are a good starter project, and if you've got some/all of the tools already, the price to performance ratio is off the charts.

Chris

It will vaporize the JBL sub below 20hz. I'm familiar with the DTS10, as well as the many other offerings from internet direct companies like JTR, PSA, Seaton Sound etc. My current subs I'm using are the Seaton Sound Submersive HP's. Great sub, no complaints, the JTR Captivator 4000ULF is a beast as well for $3,499

http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-4000ulf.html

I just want to try something different this time. And sub 20hz content for me is distracting. I can't hear that low, and when everything in the room starts to shake and rattle, it actually detracts from the movie IMHO. I know I'm in the minority. Nobody uses these subs at home because of their sub 20 hz output or lack thereof. I don't really mind it and want to try something most haven't tried.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 04:24:04 AM »

The idea that JBL "needs" megawatt amplifiers is a mystery to me.  We have HD12k and I can monitor the output in real time.  On EDM gigs with sustained bass, our 4880 are bouncing around on the floor with 600 watts of current, you can smell the voice coils getting hot, too.

For impactful peaks?  Sure, you need more voltage swing, but unless that level is sustained a megawatt delivery systems in not needed.

You'll do well with the HD12k.  What is your application, more cinema?

Just to pick up on this, a sustained sine tone has a peak-to-average ratio of 3dB, while the AES-standard test signal is 6dB. So for the same heating power at the drivers, you were using the equivalent to 1200w peaks of that test signal. For program material with 10dB peak-to-average ratio, it'll be 3000w peaks.

EDM is a weird case. Most program material demands much more headroom.

To the OP, if you don't like <20Hz content, it's much cheaper to put a highpass filter in place, rather than spend money on new amps and subs.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »

Just to pick up on this, a sustained sine tone has a peak-to-average ratio of 3dB, while the AES-standard test signal is 6dB. So for the same heating power at the drivers, you were using the equivalent to 1200w peaks of that test signal. For program material with 10dB peak-to-average ratio, it'll be 3000w peaks.

EDM is a weird case. Most program material demands much more headroom.

To the OP, if you don't like <20Hz content, it's much cheaper to put a highpass filter in place, rather than spend money on new amps and subs.

Chris

The issue for headroom peaks is instantaneous output voltage swing.  We need to stop thinking in Watts except for sustained delivery or heat conversion.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »

Just to pick up on this, a sustained sine tone has a peak-to-average ratio of 3dB, while the AES-standard test signal is 6dB.
But that is not comparing the same types of signals, or applying the same math to each one.

For a sine wave, the 3dB difference is from the RMS of the waveform to the peak.

For an AES signal, it is the crest factor of EITHER the RMS of the waveform to the maximum levels (some people call it peak) or the peak values (the dB difference is the same.

HOWEVER, if you compare the RMS of the AVERAGE level of the AES, to the PEAK of the "peaks" (maximum levels), you will see a 9 dB difference.

Some SPL meters are like this.

If you put a calibrator on them, the normal slow and fast readings will be the same SPL, but the PEAK reading (of any weighting) will be 3dB higher.

This is because mathmatically the "peak" is the top of the signal, while the "RMS" is where most voltages are measured.

So it is important to be sure you are comparing the same thing using the same terms,

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »

Let's not make this harder than it needs to be. Crest factor has exactly one definition which is the ratio of peak to average power. This often is expressed in dB. It is meaningful only for signals with a bounded probability distribution such as a uniform distribution. An unbounded distribution, such as a normal or Gaussian distribution, has an infinite crest factor.

If the power results from a voltage (or current) applied to a constant resistance the crest factor may be determined from the ratio of peak to RMS voltage (or current) and will be the square root of the power ratio. In dB it will be numerically equal to the power ratio as we use 10* log10(P2/P1) for power and 20*log10(V2/V1) for voltage or current. The crest factor of a sine wave is 3 dB, as has already been stated. "RMS power" is a useless term and should be avoided.

Some confusion arises from AC voltmeters that do not measure the RMS voltage but rather the full-wave rectified average. Such meters are calibrated to show the RMS value of the AC voltage FOR A SINE WAVE. For any other waveform the calibration will off and the power calculated from that voltage will not be the power in the load.

Happy Halloween.  -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.