ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waves vs. BBE??  (Read 2448 times)

Al Rettich

Waves vs. BBE??
« on: October 28, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »

My next tour, the audio provider doesn't have a BBE 482, but says he's willing to provide the license for the Waves equivalent. SO!! What would be the waves equivalent? He suggested the One Knob plug ins.

Gary Weller

Re: Waves vs. BBE??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 11:28:02 PM »

My next tour, the audio provider doesn't have a BBE 482, but says he's willing to provide the license for the Waves equivalent. SO!! What would be the waves equivalent? He suggested the One Knob plug ins.
Aphex vintage exciter stereo
There's no one knob equivalent, maybe the one knob Brighter, but the Aphex is closer to/better than the 482, unless you use the Low Contour on the 482.

I'd rather have a F6, C6 or C4 though there's a bit more of a learning curve.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:24:52 AM by Gary Weller »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 04:28:46 AM »

If the board runs VST plug ins, I really love the multi-band exciter in Izotope Ozone.  Have not used it live but use it all the time for recording.  The low band is much better than eq for fattening up a bottom since it doesn't have a peaking response.  And you can quickly find just the upper mid or high band to add some forwardness or sheen without the peakiness of eq.

Gary Weller

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 07:32:57 PM »

Aphex vintage exciter stereo
There's no one knob equivalent, maybe the one knob Brighter, but the Aphex is closer to/better than the 482, unless you use the Low Contour on the 482.

I'd rather have a F6, C6 or C4 though there's a bit more of a learning curve.

Just an update, if you go with the Aphex Vintage Exciter and need the "Low Contour" function of the BBE 482, just make a 60hz shelf filter in the EQ and use that, that's basically what the BBE is doing.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »

The Waves MaxxBass is the best low frequency processors I have heard.
Perhaps SPL (Germany) makes something that is comparable to, but exceeds the performance of the BBE or Apex.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:06 AM »

The Waves MaxxBass is the best low frequency processors I have heard.
Perhaps SPL (Germany) makes something that is comparable to, but exceeds the performance of the BBE or Apex.
The MaxxBass is really good at creating the impression of deeper bass than the source material contains or the system can reproduce.  I find that the LF section of a multi band exciter makes the bass that is there in the source material sound a bit fatter though systems than can reproduce it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:06 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.