ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My rant for the day.....Craigslist  (Read 1740 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My rant for the day.....Craigslist
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 08:46:41 am »

I recently posted some equipment (heavy shop machinery) on both Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I received almost zero hits on Craigslist but hundreds on Facebook. I despise Facebook and wish there were another second hand market with better liquidity. LetGo may be it but signing up for their service threw a few red flags security/spam wise.

There is of course Reverb.com. I have used them for  couple of purchases but never sold anything through them.

I have always liked the fact I have so much control over my ad with CL. I can go back in and edit as much as I want when I want.
Over the years I have  done quite well there.
I do find though that I have only sold when willing to take low end prices or willing to wait a while to find the right person.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Schalk

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 11:23:15 am »

Is this item still available?

I learned that these messages come in when someone hits the prominent "Ask for details" button.  Instead of bringing up a message box for you to type a direct question, it auto generates the annoying "Is this item still available" message to the seller.  Once I learned that, I started ignoring all of those messages.

I've not had the issue that Debbie started this thread about, but I'm not posting a lot for sale on Craigslist.  Subjectively, it seems like there are fewer audio items listed for sale on Craigslist these days.  I wonder if the rise of FB Marketplace is having an impact Craigslist?  FWIW I have not had any luck selling higher value items on FB, but sub $100 things seem to move pretty quickly.  I've resorted to eBay to move my unused LabGruppen fP series amps.  My second auction winner failed to pay :( 

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 11:40:04 am »

Is this item still available?

"Yes, still available"

Never to be heard from again.

Up here, we use a service called Kijiji, different name, same woes.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 01:17:16 pm »

When you filter out the things falsely listed for $1, the sob stories, the used cars (seriously, who puts "vertical blinds" in a used car listing?), the ads that include Webster's dictionary (so they show up in EVERY unrelated search), the ones with L@@K in the title, and the ones that include 17 unrelated items in the same ad, there's nothing left to buy.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 02:07:44 pm »

Sold a basically new TV antenna system on ebay at about 1/3 of what I paid for it.
Fully described the item and condition to the buyer.
He wanted to return it saying I mis-represented it.
All the pertinent info was available on the manufacturer's website and I explained why It didn't work for me (deep in a valley).
Paypal removed the money and I had to pay for return postage.
 >:( >:( >:(
From a seller's standpoint, ebay is too buyer-centric.
There really isn't any recourse when a buyer makes a claim.

Craig's is much easier, though doesn't have the reach.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.
Inventor.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 02:32:25 pm »

I got email today from a seller I bought from back in August.

He is claiming he had a PayPal problem and wants to refund me and invoice again. Really, 2 months later?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 03:28:34 pm »

Sold a basically new TV antenna system on ebay at about 1/3 of what I paid for it.
Fully described the item and condition to the buyer.
He wanted to return it saying I mis-represented it.
All the pertinent info was available on the manufacturer's website and I explained why It didn't work for me (deep in a valley).
Paypal removed the money and I had to pay for return postage.
 >:( >:( >:(
From a seller's standpoint, ebay is too buyer-centric.
There really isn't any recourse when a buyer makes a claim.

Craig's is much easier, though doesn't have the reach.

We gave up on eBullshit due to the 100% buyer focus.  We sold some vintage JBL HF drivers as "used, pulled from working install but sold as is."  About 8 pics of the drivers in our listing.   Buyer complained about the scratches and worn finish of a 50 year old item and we had to eat the return shipping and had no recourse when the buyer didn't insure the shipment and packed it badly, leaving the drivers in unsalable condition after the carrier drop-kicked it across the USA.

"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 04:20:22 pm »

The other thing that annoys me is when I select owner ads to filter out dealers and there are dozens of ads that are obviously placed by dealers. I would NEVER consider buying from a dealer who is trying to save a few dollars (and CL is cheap for dealers) by lying to people. The same dealers are on there every single week.

Sorry to hear about the horror stories from you guys - makes my rant subject matter appear quite picky really.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 09:49:11 pm »

I have so much to sell and so little time. CL and Ebay are the alternatives so what else do you do.

Anyway, I saw an ad that stated "We buy all musical instruments." Guy came to the house, looked at amplifiers, guitars, pedals, raw speakers, etc.. All good and all worth much more than I was asking. He offered pennies on the dollar, I offered him the door. So later in the day he stops buy and drops off a radio, then asks if I would look at it for him. Well, I looked, and I've been looking at it for 6 months.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:22 pm »

I have so much to sell and so little time. CL and Ebay are the alternatives so what else do you do.

Anyway, I saw an ad that stated "We buy all musical instruments." Guy came to the house, looked at amplifiers, guitars, pedals, raw speakers, etc.. All good and all worth much more than I was asking. He offered pennies on the dollar, I offered him the door. So later in the day he stops buy and drops off a radio, then asks if I would look at it for him. Well, I looked, and I've been looking at it for 6 months.

"It all began when I took a tour
Hoping to find some furniture
I followed a sign that said "beautiful chest"
It led to a lady who showed me her best..."
- Genesis, 'The Reverend' from Battle of Epping Forrest
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.