ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with configuring unifi access point with x32 rack  (Read 22843 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Help with configuring unifi access point with x32 rack
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2018, 10:36:53 AM »

Jay, sorry for the derail.

I regularly connect to 169.254.x.x/16 devices on a L2 network. (APIPA)

Can you clarify what you mean by it won't work?

We don't need them to route.

If you mean that I didn't catch it was defaulting to a 167.254.x.x address, then yes, I didn't. It doesn't change anything. Set the laptop to an address within the same subnet and go.

Unless I'm missing something...?

I was assuming that the 167 was a typo and it was a 169.254.  If the computer has a different network address and a class C subnet then the IP stack will try and out the gateway.  The broadcast will never be sent on the local segment to the 169.254.0.0 address.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 10:37:13 AM »

Late to this party but will add to the confusion.

First of all Jay, if we can get to the point where you can at least communicate with the mixer with a ping, I will offer to slide down RT4 and help you setup the Ubiquiti AP if you are interested. I have done quite a bit of Ubiquiti/Unifi work lately. But as a disclaimer have never touched an X32/M32

But back to the basics, I will take some of the above recent suggestions even further and make it real simple for the sake of verifying the mixer IP stack & NIC are good:

1. Connect the mixer and PC back to back with a known good Ethernet cable
2. Set the mixer to DHCP .
3. Take your computer with the NIC and set that to DHCP as well (disable wireless adapter  just as a precaution).
4. Wait a couple minutes and verify they both timeout back to a link-Local addresses (169.254.x.x).
4. Ping the address in the mixer from the computer.

If that does not work, it would point to a problem with the mixer.

Also as a general comment to reinforce what Scott has already discussed in reference to the Link-Local addressing. I have still seen posts since referencing "169.x.x.x" where it is technically "169.254.x.x" with a /16 subnet mask, or "255.255.0.0". If you try using static IP's in this space and put something other then 254 in the second octet, you will probably have problems.
Tom, I really appreciate that. When I get to that point, dinner+ will be on me.

I think I have enough troubleshooting to try between yours and Scott's responses. Knowing that that address is no DHCP would have been useful. I probably turned it off when setting up the Linksys router (and it never was there for the AP).

My goal remains to end up using the AP because I can easily put it on a mic stand.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2018, 10:48:04 AM »

Steve,

Original plan was just the access point using static IP's as a number of people on here stated that is all you need.

After 5-6 hours of being unsuccessful at connecting with the online tech working with me ( even to the point of remoting my desktop), I turn off the AP and tried a Linksys router to no luck, then I tried my cable modem/household network that had been working fine prior to lunch ( it is now 7+ hours later), then I tried an old airport express.

On all I am at the point where my tablets connect to the wireless network, but mixing station will not connect to the mixer...

Thanks Jay - I've read the additional posts in the thread and all they appear to do is add to the confusion.
Can you try the following with your Linksys router:?
1. Set the IP address on the X32R to 192.168.1.100, subnet = 255.255.255.0 and gateway = 192.168.1.1  as Linksys router will default to 192.168.1.1 as IP.
2. Save the settings then power down the X32R
3. With everything powered off, hookup the X3R up to your linksys router. Make sure your CAT cable is plugged into one of the 4 ports (not the uplink port) on the Linksys and that the other end is connected to the "REMOTE" (NOT the Ultranet) port on the X32R.
4. Power up the Linksys and wait until it is "ready.
5. Power up the X32R
6. On your tablet, connect to the linksys network (whatever name you gave it).
7. Start up the X32 app..  enter 192.168.1.100 for the IP address and press the "connect" button.

It "should" connect, and it "should" be that simple.
FWIW - I have NEVER used DHCP to assign an IP to ANY console when using an external router, because the app is going to ask you for that IP  when you connect. For FOH use, or band members accessing the app to mix their monitors, a STATIC IP simplifies repeat access.
There are things that can be done with the AP or Router to prevent accidental access if you need security.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:51:04 AM by Steve Oldridge »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »

I was assuming that the 167 was a typo and it was a 169.254.  If the computer has a different network address and a class C subnet then the IP stack will try and out the gateway.  The broadcast will never be sent on the local segment to the 169.254.0.0 address.

Same, which is why I was saying put the computer on the same 169.254 subnet.

Because before he had the computer picking up DHCP from the linksys at 192.168.1.107 & the x32 timing out to 167.254.117.36 (typo) = 169.254.117.36
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »

Same, which is why I was saying put the computer on the same 169.254 subnet.

Because before he had the computer picking up DHCP from the linksys at 192.168.1.107 & the x32 timing out to 167.254.117.36 (typo) = 169.254.117.36
Sorry, the second 167 was a typo

Jay Barracato

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2018, 11:27:03 AM »

Thanks Jay - I've read the additional posts in the thread and all they appear to do is add to the confusion.
1. Set the IP address on the X32R to 192.168.1.100, subnet = 255.255.255.0 and gateway = 192.168.1.1  as Linksys router will default to 192.168.1.1 as IP.
3. With everything powered off, hookup the X3R up to your linksys router. Make sure your CAT cable is plugged into one of the 4 ports (not the uplink port) on the Linksys and that the other end is connected to the "REMOTE" (NOT the Ultranet) port on the X32R.
5. Power up the X32R
7. Start up the X32 app..  enter 192.168.1.100 for the IP address and press the "connect" button.

FWIW - I have NEVER used DHCP to assign an IP to ANY console when using an external router, because the app is going to ask you for that IP  when you connect. For FOH use, or band members accessing the app to mix their monitors, a STATIC IP simplifies repeat access.
There are things that can be done with the AP or Router to prevent accidental access if you need security.
Steve, what do you mean by save the settings, to a scene? As far as I know for a static IP, once you hit assign, it is saved. Or did you mean the assign button?

Jay Barracato

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2018, 01:16:09 PM »

Steve, what do you mean by save the settings, to a scene? As far as I know for a static IP, once you hit assign, it is saved. Or did you mean the assign button?

You can save to a scene if you want.. but the X32 saves the "current" scene to internal memory.. so powering down saves settings...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2018, 08:18:49 PM »

You can save to a scene if you want.. but the X32 saves the "current" scene to internal memory.. so powering down saves settings...
5. Power up the X32R

Steve, doesn't work. Monitoring with the Linksys router app does not show the mixer as an attached device.

Jay Barracato

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »

Late to this party but will add to the confusion.

First of all Jay, if we can get to the point where you can at least communicate with the mixer with a ping, I will offer to slide down RT4 and help you setup the Ubiquiti AP if you are interested. I have done quite a bit of Ubiquiti/Unifi work lately. But as a disclaimer have never touched an X32/M32

But back to the basics, I will take some of the above recent suggestions even further and make it real simple for the sake of verifying the mixer IP stack & NIC are good:

1. Connect the mixer and PC back to back with a known good Ethernet cable
2. Set the mixer to DHCP .
3. Take your computer with the NIC and set that to DHCP as well (disable wireless adapter  just as a precaution).
4. Wait a couple minutes and verify they both timeout back to a link-Local addresses (169.254.x.x).
4. Ping the address in the mixer from the computer.

If that does not work, it would point to a problem with the mixer.

Also as a general comment to reinforce what Scott has already discussed in reference to the Link-Local addressing. I have still seen posts since referencing "169.x.x.x" where it is technically "169.254.x.x" with a /16 subnet mask, or "255.255.0.0". If you try using static IP's in this space and put something other then 254 in the second octet, you will probably have problems.

Tom
I don't know what NIC is or how to set the computer to DHCP if that is different from the Ethernet setting where the computer asks for the IP from the network.

I tried ipconfig/release from the command line planning to do ipconfig/renew and I got an error saying the media is disconnected.

The Ethernet cable is going directly from laptop to mixer which is set to DHCP.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:38:49 PM by Jay Barracato »
Jay Barracato

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2018, 08:56:19 PM »

Let’s go even simpler than anything which has previously been suggested.  Make a wired connection straight from the computer to the mixer.  As long as one of them has a gigabit NIC it will work with any properly wired and functional network cable.

Set fixed up addresses that are one apart on each device (10.0.1.1 and 10.0.1.2 for instance.

Set identical netmasks - 255.255.255.0

Leave gateway empty.

Now from the desktop ping the x32.  If that works then try x32 edit.
If it doesn’t work try a different cable.  If that doesn’t work do a factory reset on the desk.  If that doesn’t work try a different desk.

If you can get x32 edit connected then you know the console is fine and you can move forward with troubleshooting the network and WiFi.

A few notes:
Flashing lights on the network ports just means the hardware is connected.  Doesn’t mean it’s configured properly to function with other stuff.

169.x.y.z addresses are auto configure.  They are what a device goes to when dhcp isn’t working.

X32 works fine without internet.  iPad app is the same.  I don’t use android so I can’t say there.  However, some hardware is too “smart” and is either really slow or doesn’t work properly without internet.  Not that it really needs it but the mfgr put some “check for internet” software in the system and it really screws things up.  Having a router in the mix may not fix that sort of issue.

Anyways, try the direct connect and report back.

Also, please post exact models of all the equipment you’re working with.  That’s super helpful for us all.
Transmit fail, same result with two different cables, both cables work connecting to my cable modem

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2018, 08:56:19 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.