ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct box  (Read 4395 times)

Steve Loewenthal

Re: Direct box
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2018, 06:32:13 pm »

My only observation to add would be that the op needs a decent occasional Di and the thread is full of expensive and boutique suggestions.  I would liken it to someone needin a reliable, cheap to run, car to go to the town and the shopping centre and most people recommending a top of the range Audi.  YMMV.

Still comes down to what the OP is really after: swiss army knife vs a bunch of acceptable boxes. (maybe both)
For the former, it will cost more. For the latter, it will cost less.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2018, 06:52:56 pm »

Moderator Mac drives an Audi...  Gotti a problem wit dat? ;)

Actually I have 2. I drive one and my daughter drives the other. I'm about to help her buy a Q5 so we'll be a 3 Audi family, the oldest one will become her husband's station car.

And I don't use DIs on laptops, I use USB interfaces. For a phone (heaven forbid) or an iPad I'd use a passive DI, but I'd rather avoid them. Just say no. They can give me all the files they want on a USB stick and I'll play them from my computer.

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2018, 12:48:31 pm »

And I don't use DIs on laptops, I use USB interfaces. For a phone (heaven forbid) or an iPad I'd use a passive DI, but I'd rather avoid them. Just say no.
I use a cute little USB -> AES interface for both computers and iOS devices.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mal Brown

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2018, 01:04:05 pm »

I use the Radial av2 a lot on laptops when the laptop is also driving a video projector and speaker notes.  My mixer is usually well away from the site line so USB would be problematic.  There may be other solutions for that but that has been a solid approach for me. 

If the OP is doing talking head support, low end sound reinforcement gigs the AV2 does provide some flexibility With 1/8íth, rca and 1/4 in Nd 2 channels of DI in the box.

If itís really just musical instrument DI, there are plenty of choices throughout this thread. 
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2018, 05:36:25 pm »

My mixer is usually well away from the site line so USB would be problematic.

What does line of sight have to do with USB? USB out of computer 2' to interface, balanced XLR out of interface to stagebox.

Mac

Mal Brown

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2018, 09:00:32 pm »

In that case nothing.  Mostly for me it is talkingheads with PowerPoint in medium sized conference rooms.  Not sure I see advantages to either approach.  What interface do you use and is there a significant sound quality advantage ? Does the interface do anything else other than USB ?
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2018, 09:48:48 pm »

In that case nothing.  Mostly for me it is talkingheads with PowerPoint in medium sized conference rooms.  Not sure I see advantages to either approach.  What interface do you use and is there a significant sound quality advantage ? Does the interface do anything else other than USB ?

I have posted dozens of times about what I use. It is a $50 solution that sounds better 99% of the time than any analog DI on the 1/8" headphone output of a laptop, or as Andrew pointed out, on tablets or phones that support USB. it provides a stereo transformer balanced line level output from a USB output. It is USB class compliant so does not need drivers.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #46 on: December 21, 2018, 09:48:48 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.