ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 5-15 multimeter leads?  (Read 13459 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
5-15 multimeter leads?
« on: October 27, 2018, 12:24:59 AM »

I find myself constantly testing 5-15 outlets for correct power. First with a plug tester for correct wiring and then with a multimeter for correct voltage.

It there a NEMA 5-15 tipped set of multimeter leads available to speed up this process?

Is there something wrong with making up a set?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:50:14 AM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: 5-15 multimeter leads?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 12:32:31 AM »

I find myself constantly testing 5-15 outlets for correct power. First with a lung tester for correct wiring and then with a multimeter for correct voltage.

It there a NEMA 5-15 tipped set of multimeter leads available to speed up this process?

Is there something wrong with making up a set?
Pick up an Extech CT70.  Very handy.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 12:50:50 AM »

Very handy indeed. Thanks.

Pick up an Extech CT70.  Very handy.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »

Flattened tip probes specifically for this application are available, as an accessory to my recollection, for some, possibly many Fluke meters.  I have a couple sets for my Fluke meters and they work well.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »

I've thought about cutting up a pair of cheap meter probes and hanging a male 5-15 plug on the end for some of my seminars. I only need to monitor Hot-to-Neutral voltage in this demonstraiton, and want something that doesn't get in the way or fall out of the receptacle. Perhaps a rotary switch in a box that could connect the meter between H-N, H-G and N-G would be useful.

But for normal receptacle testing at a gig I generally use an Ideal SureTest Analyzer or Extech CT70. I also have an Amprobe INSP-3 and a vintage analog Ground Loop Impedance Meter. Take your pick, since all of them work very well for quick receptacle testing. 

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »

Your description of the plug on test leads is what I was thinking abut whipping up. Didn't think to add a switch, but was going to add a third lead to the ground pole of the plug so I could check for N-G voltage.

I like the load tester idea better because my guys probably can't screw that up if everything gets tested in one shot. Also will be nice to see what loads are on the circuit before I go popping breakers.

Think it's worth it to cough up the extra $ for the CT80 or Amprobe that both do AFCI testing?

I've thought about cutting up a pair of cheap meter probes and hanging a male 5-15 plug on the end for some of my seminars. I only need to monitor Hot-to-Neutral voltage in this demonstraiton, and want something that doesn't get in the way or fall out of the receptacle. Perhaps a rotary switch in a box that could connect the meter between H-N, H-G and N-G would be useful.

But for normal receptacle testing at a gig I generally use an Ideal SureTest Analyzer or Extech CT70. I also have an Amprobe INSP-3 and a vintage analog Ground Loop Impedance Meter. Take your pick, since all of them work very well for quick receptacle testing.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 04:27:09 PM »

ebay is awash with plug in AC meters.m also the kill a watt meter that reads voltage, frequency and watts and total power used
Not to Code

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 05:40:38 PM »

Flattened tip probes specifically for this application are available, as an accessory to my recollection, for some, possibly many Fluke meters.  I have a couple sets for my Fluke meters and they work well.

The trouble with flat tip probes these days is TR outlets.  Those can be a real bitch to get any kind of probe into.  If I regularly had to test TRs I’d absolutely get a purpose built device like mentioned above or construct a cable that would expose the 3 conductors in a finger-safe manner.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 07:07:42 PM »

ebay is awash with plug in AC meters.m also the kill a watt meter that reads voltage, frequency and watts and total power used

But most of them are dependent on the line voltage itself for power. The Kill A Watt meter dies somewhere around 90 volts. In my demonstration for hot-skin/stray-voltage I show how to detect 30 volts, 60 volts, 90 volts and 120 volts. So it's useless to monitor test voltages I'm putting on a chassis.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 07:22:49 PM »

If I regularly had to test TRs I’d absolutely get a purpose built device like mentioned above or construct a cable that would expose the 3 conductors in a finger-safe manner.
I've thought about arranging 3 banana jacks in a 1" triangle so that a dual banana plug could easily test H-N, N-G or G-H. But that's just for my demonstrations. For actual power testing at a gig I always use a SureTest Analyzer. Takes only a few seconds to test for voltage, polarity, ground impedance, etc... Plus it does a predictive load test and calculates how much voltage drop you'll have if you draw 15 or 20 amps load on that circuit.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 07:22:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.