ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Different Brand Subs: Rider Friendly?  (Read 15579 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Different Brand Subs: Rider Friendly?
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »

There is, in fact, a new ( not yet available ) HDL6 on the way. The word is that it will at the very least have RDNet and a bigger amp, but I hadn't heard about using bigger CD.

If they released the HDL6 with RDNet and a little more oomph I would jump on it. The price is amazing on the boxes as it is and they sound pretty darn good. You MUST run them in full-size arrays though in order to do rock level shows. Another company near me has a 12 box per side inventory of them and my experience with them is that they are no slouch, but they have very limited control and they don't have the low end build up compensation very well dialed in the presets. With RDNet this would be a little bit easier to deal with. I'm also waiting for RCF to release a full array calc for the HDL line. The easy array version they have now is rather noninformative. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 01:29:16 PM »

I am specing out my next system, which I believe will be RCF HDL6's up top, and have been getting some conflicting opinions about subs & rider acceptance.  I am mainly doing regional bands for concerts and festivals and planning to be in the 1,000 - 2,000 people range.

One person advised me to go with JBL SRX828SP as a cost saving measure, until I expand my next phase expansion then sell them; when I expand into a HDL30 system then purchase the 9006's. Alternatively, I already have 4 KW181s, I could add 4 more to the rig if it would be sufficient. I really like these ideas as it would get me into my line array sooner- but I want to make sure I do it right.

Another person advised me that I may run into some issues with rider & vendor acceptance having "Mismatched Gear" using a different brand subs vs tops. Has anyone ran into this issue before or can weigh in their opinion?

FWIW Yesterday I spoke to a tech that works at one of the bigger production companies in New England.  I posed your question about mismatched gear.   His answer: "as long as the rig sounds good, bands really don't care....unless it's an A level touring band...which usually brings their own production...".

Ok, now the tech was probably not the "A" guy at the shop but he has worked there for over 10 years.....

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »

FWIW Yesterday I spoke to a tech that works at one of the bigger production companies in New England.  I posed your question about mismatched gear.   His answer: "as long as the rig sounds good, bands really don't care....unless it's an A level touring band...which usually brings their own production...".

It is the "it sounds good" that is up for question.

What is good to somebody is terrible for somebody else.

It depends
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Matt Greiner

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 10:54:11 PM »

If memory serves, I was thinking Debbie D was someone who was mentioned to have used different brands together with some success.  Hopefully she can chime in and offer her opinion on the matter as well.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 06:03:08 PM »

If you're going to stick with RCF, I don't know why you wouldn't just start buying the 9006's right now.

That is sound advice (pun intended).

Quote from: Tim Hite
If you want to save a few $ you can get dB Tech S30N's which are almost as good as the RCF9006 but about 25% less money. As a dealer for both lines, I'm still befuddled by that pricing gap.

This, I did not know.  Hmmmmm.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 07:37:32 PM »

It is the "it sounds good" that is up for question.

What is good to somebody is terrible for somebody else.

It depends

also,  some people listen with their eyes

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 11:10:54 PM »

I'm thinking about printing up a roll of Funktion One stickers for those folks. . .so they can have good sound, too.

also,  some people listen with their eyes
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 11:33:59 PM »

I'm thinking about printing up a roll of Funktion One stickers for those folks. . .so they can have good sound, too.

I've done it with Blose stickers.  Oops, that secret's out...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 11:49:39 PM »

Apply directly across the throat of the CD horn for most accurate emulation.

I've done it with Blose stickers.  Oops, that secret's out...
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 02:14:55 AM »

Years ago when Behringer released plans for their own linearray,  me and a friend toyed with the idea of buying it, put his subs (Meyer 650) and amps/processing (labG/Lake) visible and fly the PA without stickers, just to see if anybody would notice.

In the end he sold his shares in that company and Behringer bought Turbo, so the plan evaporated.

Still a fun idea.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 02:14:55 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.