ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper Way To Power a JBL 5628  (Read 12992 times)

Mario Pollio

Proper Way To Power a JBL 5628
« on: October 25, 2018, 06:44:48 PM »

Just wondering how you guys would go about powering a JBL 5628 Cinema sub. The rating on each transducer is 4,000 watts into 8 ohms. You can run it in parallel drive mode creating a 4 ohm load, but I don't know of any crown amps that put out 8,000 watts into 4 ohms unless you bridge the amp. So how would you power this sub? I-tech 4X3500 bridged into 2 channels, to power a single cabinet (over kill, I know), 2 I-tech 5000 HD's per 5628 bridged into each driver, or a bridged I-tech 12000HD into a single 5628 running in parallel drive mode?

Here's a link to the sub I'm talking about

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/subwoofers/5628#.W9JOw2hKhPY
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:16:26 PM by Mario Pollio »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Proper Way To Power a JBL 5628
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »

Why limit yourself to Crown amps?  Linea or Powersoft come to mind first. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mario Pollio

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 05:49:31 AM »

Why limit yourself to Crown amps?  Linea or Powersoft come to mind first. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Mostly for simplicity and system integration. The sub will be integrated with JBL M2's which are powered by Crown I-Tech 5000HD's. I like Audio Architect as well.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 10:27:12 AM »

Actual ratings, the drivers are 1200W AES, and can survive peaks that are 6dB more than that.
I'd use one channel of an iTech 12000HD into the 4ohm load that would be presented and call it good. The amp will put out ~2x the long-term ratings of the drivers.

If you bridged you'd get a couple of extra kilowatts out of the amp, but you'd get less than 3dB of gain. Not worth bothering.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Keith Erickson

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »

Actual ratings, the drivers are 1200W AES, and can survive peaks that are 6dB more than that.
I'd use one channel of an iTech 12000HD into the 4ohm load that would be presented and call it good. The amp will put out ~2x the long-term ratings of the drivers.

If you bridged you'd get a couple of extra kilowatts out of the amp, but you'd get less than 3dB of gain. Not worth bothering.

Chris

The 2269 woofer is 2000 watts AES 2hr and 1200 watts on the 100hr IEC test that JBL uses.  The IT12K will be the way to go.

Mario Pollio

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 08:59:11 PM »

Chris

That's true, I lose sight of that double the power = 3db rule sometimes when dealing with huge power like this (relatively huge for what I'm used to dealing with at least). 3,500 watts seems huge until you look at the whole picture.

The 2269 woofer is 2000 watts AES 2hr and 1200 watts on the 100hr IEC test that JBL uses.  The IT12K will be the way to go.

Thanks for the advice on the 12K. That will be the way I will go.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 01:50:59 PM »

That's true, I lose sight of that double the power = 3db rule sometimes when dealing with huge power like this (relatively huge for what I'm used to dealing with at least). 3,500 watts seems huge until you look at the whole picture.

Thanks for the advice on the 12K. That will be the way I will go.

The idea that JBL "needs" megawatt amplifiers is a mystery to me.  We have HD12k and I can monitor the output in real time.  On EDM gigs with sustained bass, our 4880 are bouncing around on the floor with 600 watts of current, you can smell the voice coils getting hot, too.

For impactful peaks?  Sure, you need more voltage swing, but unless that level is sustained a megawatt delivery systems in not needed.

You'll do well with the HD12k.  What is your application, more cinema?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mario Pollio

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »

The idea that JBL "needs" megawatt amplifiers is a mystery to me.  We have HD12k and I can monitor the output in real time.  On EDM gigs with sustained bass, our 4880 are bouncing around on the floor with 600 watts of current, you can smell the voice coils getting hot, too.

For impactful peaks?  Sure, you need more voltage swing, but unless that level is sustained a megawatt delivery systems in not needed.

You'll do well with the HD12k.  What is your application, more cinema?

Having the headroom is nice, and for powering less efficient, more power hungry speakers maybe. Could be marketing as well, but I'm a firm believer in it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

And yes, the application is a large, steroidal home cinema. The left center and right channels are JBL M2's. I was looking at the SUB18's, but the 5628 is nearly the same price and has another 2269 driver in it. Somebody I've been speaking with has the same set up with both the 5628's and the SUB18's. From his experience with both, he said if you can fit the 5628's and integrate them, go with those. Much more bang for your buck.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 02:04:42 AM »

Having the headroom is nice, and for powering less efficient, more power hungry speakers maybe. Could be marketing as well, but I'm a firm believer in it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

And yes, the application is a large, steroidal home cinema. The left center and right channels are JBL M2's. I was looking at the SUB18's, but the 5628 is nearly the same price and has another 2269 driver in it. Somebody I've been speaking with has the same set up with both the 5628's and the SUB18's. From his experience with both, he said if you can fit the 5628's and integrate them, go with those. Much more bang for your buck.
Dude for the price of that amp you can get a Danley DTS10 and an amp for it!  That bad boy has real, usable response down to 10hz.  Will vaporize the JBL sub.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 05:22:24 AM »

Dude for the price of that amp you can get a Danley DTS10 and an amp for it!  That bad boy has real, usable response down to 10hz.  Will vaporize the JBL sub.

+1.

Alternatively, DIY can be an option. Subwoofers are a good starter project, and if you've got some/all of the tools already, the price to performance ratio is off the charts.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 05:22:24 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.