Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Proper Way To Power a JBL 5628

(1/3) > >>

Mario Pollio:
Just wondering how you guys would go about powering a JBL 5628 Cinema sub. The rating on each transducer is 4,000 watts into 8 ohms. You can run it in parallel drive mode creating a 4 ohm load, but I don't know of any crown amps that put out 8,000 watts into 4 ohms unless you bridge the amp. So how would you power this sub? I-tech 4X3500 bridged into 2 channels, to power a single cabinet (over kill, I know), 2 I-tech 5000 HD's per 5628 bridged into each driver, or a bridged I-tech 12000HD into a single 5628 running in parallel drive mode?

Here's a link to the sub I'm talking about

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/cinema-market/subwoofers/5628#.W9JOw2hKhPY

Caleb Dueck:
Why limit yourself to Crown amps?  Linea or Powersoft come to mind first. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Mario Pollio:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on October 25, 2018, 08:08:49 pm ---Why limit yourself to Crown amps?  Linea or Powersoft come to mind first. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Mostly for simplicity and system integration. The sub will be integrated with JBL M2's which are powered by Crown I-Tech 5000HD's. I like Audio Architect as well.

Chris Grimshaw:
Actual ratings, the drivers are 1200W AES, and can survive peaks that are 6dB more than that.
I'd use one channel of an iTech 12000HD into the 4ohm load that would be presented and call it good. The amp will put out ~2x the long-term ratings of the drivers.

If you bridged you'd get a couple of extra kilowatts out of the amp, but you'd get less than 3dB of gain. Not worth bothering.

Chris

Keith Erickson:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on October 26, 2018, 10:27:12 am ---Actual ratings, the drivers are 1200W AES, and can survive peaks that are 6dB more than that.
I'd use one channel of an iTech 12000HD into the 4ohm load that would be presented and call it good. The amp will put out ~2x the long-term ratings of the drivers.

If you bridged you'd get a couple of extra kilowatts out of the amp, but you'd get less than 3dB of gain. Not worth bothering.

Chris

--- End quote ---

The 2269 woofer is 2000 watts AES 2hr and 1200 watts on the 100hr IEC test that JBL uses.  The IT12K will be the way to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version