ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable staging?  (Read 9247 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Portable staging?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 02:00:51 PM »

I own a 24 x 12 Stageriht setup.  Wish I didn’t...  it works great but I have trouble keeping that crew separate from Audio and boosting 125lb stage decks around is something most foh.mon.stage manager kinds of folks despise doing...  not enough revenue for me to justify it.
Good stuff, just wrong in my biz model...

Stages and roofs are something your crew needs to have some passion for, like your sound guys do for their craft.  Lack of such personnel was the other reason we got out of staging.

You can make a bunch of $$ with stages but you have to do them right, with a crew who cares about even edges and level surfaces, and skirting, risers, and tents for sound wings & FOH when outdoors.  Most sound/lighting guys don't want to deal with that.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »

My stage goes out more than my PA.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steven Cohen

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 05:40:38 PM »

Roy,

We have switched to Wenger StageTek staging. They have a few nice features. First, different size legs can be purchased. Second, they are light weight. Here is a YouTube video that shows the product,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxMeaOJJjXQ

I’m looking for some portable staging for a local nonprofit. I need enough to make a stage about 10’ by 24’. Segments should fold and have wheels for ease of storage.

Can you recommend a specific brand? The budget is next to nothing so used is good.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 05:59:16 PM »

My stage goes out more than my PA.

I am clueless, but curious...  How much does it cost to rent a stage?  I am on the "providing the sound/lights" end of production....which is enough to think about:)
For instance:
site is within a 20 minute drive from your shop (in town)
1 day rental
concert in park venue
set up by 10:00am
strike after 5:00pm
2' rise
24'x16'
no railings needed on stage
1 stair unit w/railing
truck/transport can drive up to the staging area

What does the above go for??

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »

I am clueless, but curious...  How much does it cost to rent a stage?  I am on the "providing the sound/lights" end of production....which is enough to think about:)
For instance:
1 day rental
concert in park venue
2' rise
24'x16'
1 stair unit w/railing

There could be about a factor of ten difference depending on many factors: Location, (of the town) Location, (of the park) Location (of the state, IATSE/right to work jurisdiction).
The three "L"s are a start, then the age, condition, appearance and quality of the equipment, and weather, and grounds (level pavement, soft grass, uneven dirt...).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »

There could be about a factor of ten difference depending on many factors: Location, (of the town) Location, (of the park) Location (of the state, IATSE/right to work jurisdiction).
The three "L"s are a start, then the age, condition, appearance and quality of the equipment, and weather, and grounds (level pavement, soft grass, uneven dirt...).

Years ago I used to quote $10/s.f./day off the top of my head.  If that didn't make prospects soil their garments, we'd talk...

And it was more for building stages and platforms over ravines, storm water discharges and some other interesting locations clients found it absolutely necessary to have a stage.

Mike, I sent you a PM.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justin Perrachon

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »

For instance:
1 day rental
concert in park venue
2' rise
24'x16'
1 stair unit w/railing

Locally it seems vendors charge $55 for a 8x4 Wenger versalite on the low side. Add skirt, stairs, delivery and you're probably looking at $875+

Add a couple hundred more to cover fees for specific delivery time and pick up after business hours.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 09:37:16 PM »

For instance:
1 day rental
concert in park venue
2' rise
24'x16'
1 stair unit w/railing

I charge $65/deck, includes delivery and pick up, so the above would be $780. I am significantly cheaper than the big local production companies. I can set that up with one helper that costs me ~$80 (for the in and the out). I might try to upsell you on a 2 deck drum riser.
I own 26 decks and if I need more I can cross rent them for ~$52 each, I’m happy to about break even on rental decks if I’m renting all of my decks (within reason). I have equipped my trailers to transport decks easily.
I started out doing sound and lights only, with only the occasional call for a stage (not enough to justify buying). When I got a 12 concert series in 2003 I took the plunge and bought 12 decks. Over the years I’ve added other used decks I bought from other companies liquidating. They don’t match but come in handy as drum risers or wings or FOH platforms. It has paid for itself many times over but like Tim mentioned, you have to want to do it and do it right.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:40:08 PM by Robert Piascik »
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 01:19:04 AM »

I charge $65/deck, includes delivery and pick up, so the above would be $780. I am significantly cheaper than the big local production companies. I can set that up with one helper that costs me ~$80 (for the in and the out). I might try to upsell you on a 2 deck drum riser.
I own 26 decks and if I need more I can cross rent them for ~$52 each, I’m happy to about break even on rental decks if I’m renting all of my decks (within reason). I have equipped my trailers to transport decks easily.
I started out doing sound and lights only, with only the occasional call for a stage (not enough to justify buying). When I got a 12 concert series in 2003 I took the plunge and bought 12 decks. Over the years I’ve added other used decks I bought from other companies liquidating. They don’t match but come in handy as drum risers or wings or FOH platforms. It has paid for itself many times over but like Tim mentioned, you have to want to do it and do it right.
Same hear in Cleveland.  We meticulously rebuilt our Wenger stage decks,  keep extra legs and other parts handy.  My guys like the extra money for the in/out,  we have three cases of precut sills and c-clamps. 

With a package the stage (20x14) can be as low as $600 extra.  If the truck is rolling generators  uprights,  extra lights,  pipe and drape, stage set pieces all increase revenue by better utilization of existing crew and infrastructure. 

We don't have a lot but enough to do risers, wings and FOH.  I have 8x4 and 6x4.  Next step will be Stageright and a variety of Z braces in different heights.  We work with another production company that has extensive inventory.  We have rented 2k stages from them.  They use is as excess capacity and trust us to do shows in their shirts.

The stage opened these kind of doors.  In 2 years we have quadrupuled average revenue per event.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John L Nobile

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »

Staging keeps our porter staff very busy at the resort. We have 32 decks of KAD Ultrastages with 3-5 and 2-4 foot xframes. We also have a whack of older Wenger staging. It's constantly in use and we have to rent another 30 KAD decks in the spring for dance competitions.

I'm so glad I don't have to setup staging anymore. A 60x 40' stage is a lot of heavy work.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.