ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable staging?  (Read 9245 times)

Roy Curet

Portable staging?
« on: October 23, 2018, 11:30:41 PM »

I’m looking for some portable staging for a local nonprofit. I need enough to make a stage about 10’ by 24’. Segments should fold and have wheels for ease of storage.

Can you recommend a specific brand? The budget is next to nothing so used is good.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Portable staging?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 11:42:32 PM »

I’m looking for some portable staging for a local nonprofit. I need enough to make a stage about 10’ by 24’. Segments should fold and have wheels for ease of storage.

Can you recommend a specific brand? The budget is next to nothing so used is good.

I make zillions of dollars with my Wegner staging.  Literally they are out all the time.  With that in mind rough condition decks are still $300 each and you have to ship them.  They require maintenance. 

How often will you need them?

Intellistage is crap, don't waste your money.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 12:38:04 AM »

"Portable stage" and "budget next to nothing" are not two phrases typically found in the same sentence.  School district surplus sales are worth watching. You might find a party rental company that could maybe help you out finding used staging. 4' x 8' panels are the most common size. A 12' x 24' stage means 9 sections. Don't forget you will need at least one (more likely two) sets of steps or stairs.  Wenger is top of the line quality; National Seating markets to schools.

How tall do you need your stage to be?  What is the intended use?  Instead of wheels, consider getting/building a steel cart to load the panels onto, and strap them down to the cart.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:38:36 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 07:44:08 AM »

"Portable stage" and "budget next to nothing" are not two phrases typically found in the same sentence.  School district surplus sales are worth watching. You might find a party rental company that could maybe help you out finding used staging. 4' x 8' panels are the most common size. A 12' x 24' stage means 9 sections. Don't forget you will need at least one (more likely two) sets of steps or stairs.  Wegner is top of the line quality; National Seating markets to schools.

How tall do you need your stage to be?  What is the intended use?  Instead of wheels, consider getting/building a steel cart to load the panels onto, and strap them down to the cart.

Also worth noting that depending on venue and function you may be required to have an ADA accessible ramp for your stage as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:41:27 AM »

Is the staging for a "one-off" (single event), or does the non-profit want to own a stage??

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 02:15:50 PM »

I've heard of Wenger staging but not Wegner. Is this a new brand?
Scott Hofmann

Roy Curet

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I know there is a disconnect between the hopes and the resources. They are looking for staging that can be moved within the venue (Senior Center) as needed or stored out of the way when not in use.

Does anyone know of any sites besides ebay that list such things? i haven't found a good one yet.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 02:34:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I know there is a disconnect between the hopes and the resources. They are looking for staging that can be moved within the venue (Senior Center) as needed or stored out of the way when not in use.

Does anyone know of any sites besides ebay that list such things? i haven't found a good one yet.

We got out of the staging biz because of liability insurance costs that went sky-high after a high profile incident we were not involved with....

Used staging will tend to be in lousy condition unless you happen to find a school or municipal government selling off surplus inventory.  Staging is a product that, in commercial use, is used until it falls apart.

See what the Senior Center's insurance company thinks of used stages with unknown history.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »

Used staging will tend to be in lousy condition unless you happen to find a school or municipal government selling off surplus inventory.  Staging is a product that, in commercial use, is used until it falls apart.

^^^  this  ^^^

I have portable staging (StageRight) and done right it is safe. It consists of decks and understructures and I am convinced is better and more stable than the rickety fold and roll units I see at most hotels and schools (especially after years of use). Either way units are not easy to move or set up and require multiple people to do so. If it is sturdy enough to support 125 lbs/sq ft it is going to be heavy duty and difficult to move easily. There are no magic websites for cheap used staging that I am aware of.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Mal Brown

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »

I own a 24 x 12 Stageriht setup.  Wish I didn’t...  it works great but I have trouble keeping that crew separate from Audio and boosting 125lb stage decks around is something most foh.mon.stage manager kinds of folks despise doing...  not enough revenue for me to justify it.
Good stuff, just wrong in my biz model...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.