ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: two weeks with a pair of QSC CP12  (Read 9348 times)

kel mcguire

two weeks with a pair of QSC CP12
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »

I went ahead and bought a pair a couple weeks ago. I already have K12, K10.2 and K8s. Why then?

Partially for the size, weight and cost. These fit into the same Gator speaker bag as the K10s, albeit a bit snug. The weight is very nice, noticeably lighter. They feel like the K8. I wanted something for my band gigs that had the low end extension near the K12 but smaller and lighter. These might be it.

In addition to regular sound gigs, I play in a trio where a number of our gigs need to be one trip load ins and I have: mains, monitors, bass amp, stool, plastic tub of all the cables, percussion stuffs and bass guitar on one cart. The CP12 are a touch lighter than the K10 and the hope was they'd have LF similar to the K12. I play kick stomper pedal on my right foot, snare on my left while playing guitar, bass and singing. the kick stomper needs at least a 12" to be enough for the venues we play. On bigger gigs I can take a single  DXS12 sub. I also wanted to see how these CP series do with the intention of procuring a trio of CP8 for our monitor wedges. The CP8 would drop almost 40 lbs from the load in over our Yamaha 3x SM10v with Peavey IPR amp rig.
  First gig: the CP 12 does have a pretty good bottom end and they're easy to put up on a stand.
The plastic is different than a regular K series. The K series has a pretty solid thick sound when you thump the cab. The CP is thinner but not as cheesy as a DBR12. No fan. We'll see how these do in the Ca sunshine next year.

So far the sound is QSC, which is to say pretty darn good. Clean. They're not as loud although I've not pushed them yet, it does take more to drive them compared to the other active speakers I own. If I get a chance, I'll do a side by side against K12 & K10.  I've only used default so far. The HPF on "ext sub" is 80hz, we'll see how that works with a sub. The control panel seems pretty good. There are enough choices to dial in a quick change if you use those kinds of things. The horn does seem to be about 60-75 degrees-ish in a non scientific walk past.. I'm thinking these might make decent floor wedges with a nice inconspicuous profile.

I used them on a corporate gig sunday. Not a big test but they were easily handling the job. This weekend I'll give them a tougher test outside for an air festival sound system. They'll be one pair of Nine total speakers I'll put up. On a side note the K&M dual speaker yokes are very well made. I bought a pair to do two double speaker crank up stands.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:10:11 PM by kel mcguire »

Ken Braziel

Re: two weeks with a pair of QSC CP12
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 05:51:30 PM »

Thanks, not for me but the price point will be good for a lot of people I consult for.

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:04:12 AM »

Any further thoughts on the CP vs K series ?   Weird that the HPF is at 80 and not 100 as it is in the K series
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Ken Braziel

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:03:32 PM »

Any further thoughts on the CP vs K series ?   Weird that the HPF is at 80 and not 100 as it is in the K series

Probably designed to match up with the KS series subs, which are supposedly best with the crossover at 80.

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 10:18:02 AM »

H.  I did not know that.  In my B rig,  I have 11 k series boxes that I use and rent.  The cardiod sub looks pretty interesting and I don’t have K8’s ...  10’s, 12’s and 181’s...  The cp8’s might be just the ticket for some of the talking head support I do.

Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

kel mcguire

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 05:12:13 PM »

I've used them a couple more times. I worked the air show at a small airport, put the CP12 on a double fork adaptor on top of a crank up stand. They ran for Six hours in 90 degree heat, no problem. The pattern is fairly controlled in the 75 degree pattern listed for the HF. They were plenty loud, but I think the K10.2 will outrun them. At this event, all my speakers were probably running at 50% with lots of headroom. I ran Nine QSC speakers on three 2k inverter generators.

Love the size & weight. The single handle only being on top is tricky. They produce a pretty good bottom end.

I mentioned the plastic seemingly less robust. I wanted to listen behind the speakers for backwash during the event but I was mixing and the distances involved at the airport made it inconvenient to walk down there.

I'll be using them on Friday again.

I'll probably get another pair and potentially three of the CP8. The CP12 will make nice low profile stage monitors.

The nice thing about the 80 HPF is for spoken voice, some singing or even instances of music playback like I had, You can put on the 80 filter and the cab still sounds nice, but high-passed enough for p-pops, rumble, etc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 05:12:13 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.