ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW MX8600 + Ecore Software  (Read 2301 times)

Griffen Behm

EAW MX8600 + Ecore Software
« on: February 11, 2018, 12:55:14 AM »

Hey All,

Curious if anyone might still be using the somewhat dated Ecore software to manage the MX8600 processor. For one reason or another, I'm having trouble installing the application - namely that the 'ecore.ex_' file cannot be read during installation. Not sure if it's an issue with the file itself or a problem with the computer I'm attempting to install on (Win XP, 32-Bit).

On a related note, I'm curious if it's possible to use MIDI to interface between the software & the processor. It appears that the XTA DP processors (which the EAW 8600 is based on) had RS232/485 as an option, whereas I only have MIDI on the 8600 at hand.

Thanks!
-Griffin

Joshua Buentello

Re: EAW MX8600 + Ecore Software
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »

Hey All,

Curious if anyone might still be using the somewhat dated Ecore software to manage the MX8600 processor. For one reason or another, I'm having trouble installing the application - namely that the 'ecore.ex_' file cannot be read during installation. Not sure if it's an issue with the file itself or a problem with the computer I'm attempting to install on (Win XP, 32-Bit).

On a related note, I'm curious if it's possible to use MIDI to interface between the software & the processor. It appears that the XTA DP processors (which the EAW 8600 is based on) had RS232/485 as an option, whereas I only have MIDI on the 8600 at hand.

Thanks!
-Griffin

Hello Griffin, This is an interesting topic regarding the mx8600 processor. I recently purchased one on on eBay and when it arrived i downloaded the jumpstart manual and printed it out so that i could configure the unit. As my surprise i noticed upon boot up of the unit it displayed AUDIO CORE DP200 V4.01 or something like that and i thought that was weird! it was supposed to display something that Belongs to eaw like MX8600 since thats the model of the unit printed on the face front plate but it did not. Plus the instructions on the manual were showing something completely different than what the screen was showing. So i opened up the unit and to my surprise i saw the mother board was branded XTA along with an XTA eprom chip running the show. I called up eaw and to my surprise they were not much help since they say the unit is about 20 years old and that they didn't have info on that unit anymore so i contacted XTA an surprisingly they were a lot more helpful than EAW was. Turns out to my opinion is that the EAW MX8600 unit i purchased must have had its motherboard swapped out with the guts of an XTA DP200 system because they both look the identical externally and possibly internally just with different ic chip programming. I did manage to get the eaw ecore software loaded onto my computer by creating a folder called DISK1 on the c: dir of my windows machine then copy all files from the software program into that folder then run the installer and voila !! it installs successfully and it works. Problem is now I'm stuck with 2 different brands of procsessors all in the same unit in front of me and the programming is closely identical but not the same as what the ecore software shows on the computer screen and does not match the options i get on the actual unit. My unit also has the standard MIDI interface on the back and i was told to purchase a MIDI to USB cable and use that to interface the unit with my computer but thats not working either. I even tried XTA's software that interfaces the DP200 and still nothing. I cannot get my computer to communicate with the unit at all, this is so frustrating. So if anyone has any ideas or experience working with the eaw mx8600 and what all its supposed to say on the screen while booting up and what all settings it might need changed to connect the 8600 to a computer and for it to work please let me know, If not them i will have to go the long hard route of finding an exact match of eprom used in that unit and purchase an eprom programmer unit found on line for like $50 and burn that .bin file for the mx8600 on to that eprom chip in order to have it running its proper software and that looks to be a 50/50 chance of it actually working and taking into consideration how much the unit is actually work vs cost of getting it programmed and back in proper operation, Thanks.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »

Hello Griffin, This is an interesting topic.

Please go to your profile and correct your displayed name to comply with the posting rules of these forums

Mac
Admin

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.