ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar wireless for IEM?  (Read 3112 times)

jesseweiss

Guitar wireless for IEM?
« on: October 22, 2018, 06:16:47 PM »

I'm curious if using one of the new Boss wl20 guitar wireless systems would work with a behringer p2 and ear buds as a less expensive IEM setup.

I already have buds and the p2 from running wired so only the cost of the Boss ($180) would be needed.

Thoughts?

Stephen Kirby

Re: Guitar wireless for IEM?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:07:14 PM »

IEM receivers have peak limiters so that something going wrong doesn't blow your ears out.  I would make sure that there was something in the line.  I don't know what kind of noise comes though in an RF drop out but that's also something to consider.

jesseweiss

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »

IEM receivers have peak limiters so that something going wrong doesn't blow your ears out.  I would make sure that there was something in the line.  I don't know what kind of noise comes though in an RF drop out but that's also something to consider.

Thanks, that's the kind of questions/concerns I was looking for. The P2 has a limiter as well, since it's a headphone amp, so I should be fine on that end. I've used my P1 already wired (haven't used the P2 yet), wired from an aux out on the mixer without incident.

If that's the only issue, it sounds like it might be doable.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:40:41 PM »

Especially with wireless - you get what you pay for.  Expect narrower frequency range, poor companding, higher noise floor, higher RFI, and more.  Will it work?  As long as you aren't expecting Sennheiser EW300 or PSM900 level of performance - possibly. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

jesseweiss

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »

Especially with wireless - you get what you pay for.  Expect narrower frequency range, poor companding, higher noise floor, higher RFI, and more.  Will it work?  As long as you aren't expecting Sennheiser EW300 or PSM900 level of performance - possibly. 

This would be just to try it out. I don't see the band laying out real money for IEMs, and as the drummer I can run wired. But one guitarist may want to try it. I thought of it as an option as he sent me a link to some Galaxy stuff which I can't imagine is too good.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:01:42 AM »

This would be just to try it out. I don't see the band laying out real money for IEMs, and as the drummer I can run wired. But one guitarist may want to try it. I thought of it as an option as he sent me a link to some Galaxy stuff which I can't imagine is too good.
We had some GalaxyAS-1100 IEMs and some Sennheiser EW300.  While feature for feature, not the equal of the Senn, they were surprisingly good at a significant savings over the Senn.
A review here: https://iemreviews.com/galaxy-audio-iem/
frank
Edit:
Note, the AS-900 are fixed frequency - which may or may not fit your bill. At $130 through Amazon, it may be worth a try - roughly 1/10 the cost of the Senn - but giving up a lot.
The AS-1100 are running around $400 on Amazon. A serious consideration on a budget.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:10:47 AM by frank kayser »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 01:41:28 PM »

We had some GalaxyAS-1100 IEMs and some Sennheiser EW300.  While feature for feature, not the equal of the Senn, they were surprisingly good at a significant savings over the Senn.
A review here: https://iemreviews.com/galaxy-audio-iem/
frank
Edit:
Note, the AS-900 are fixed frequency - which may or may not fit your bill. At $130 through Amazon, it may be worth a try - roughly 1/10 the cost of the Senn - but giving up a lot.
The AS-1100 are running around $400 on Amazon. A serious consideration on a budget.

Galaxy Audio is based here in Wichita and one of my part-time guys works there.  I asked him about these and he said "well, it's not Sennheiser or Shure, but it delivers more than you'd expect for the money."

Might be worth ordering an AS-1100 and returning it if you're unhappy with the performance/cost ratio.

That said, my little rant is about ear buds.  Using the $2-$10 ear buds that come with these systems isn't a good way to evaluate IEMs in general.  Using ear buds that come with your phone is also bad.  Good IEM experiences start with a good seal between the ear canal and bud.  I have small ear canals and use the memory foam "comply" tips if I can leave them in, and modify the smallest triple flange silicone rubber tip if I have to remove them often.  Users with really big ear canals may need special measures or custom molds.

Molds are expensive at first but if a player decides on IEMs, it's the way to go.

I'm using Westone 3 armature buds...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 02:41:20 PM »

That said, my little rant is about ear buds.  Using the $2-$10 ear buds that come with these systems isn't a good way to evaluate IEMs in general.  Using ear buds that come with your phone is also bad.  Good IEM experiences start with a good seal between the ear canal and bud.  I have small ear canals and use the memory foam "comply" tips if I can leave them in, and modify the smallest triple flange silicone rubber tip if I have to remove them often.  Users with really big ear canals may need special measures or custom molds.

Molds are expensive at first but if a player decides on IEMs, it's the way to go.

I'm using Westone 3 armature buds...
I concur.. been down the IEM route for the lasts 7+ yrs.. from all kinds of wired to various wireless systems (including Carvin, shure and Senn) and a variety of cheap to not-so-cheap buds.
After much ado, and a WHOLE LOT of expense to get there - I'm VERY happy with my [custom] 1964 A8's and a Senn G3 IEM rig.

I have small canals too, and before an audiologist informed me of my "condition" had tried pretty much EVERY tip I could get my hands on to see if the seal would remain when I turned my head or opened my mouth.  Nothing worked.  I ended up going the custom route.
Well worth the $$ IMHO, when you're doing 80+ gigs a year.  Easy set up.. Easy to use.  We run our own IEM rig, so it's basically plug-n-play.

That said... IF universal fit work for you, then go that [cheaper] route, but I would still recommend triple drivers (or better). They will provide better audio separation, clarity and reduce the ear fatigue that is inherent in the single-driver buds included with the typical IEM system.
If one stays with IEM's, then an investment in custom would be warranted.

jesseweiss

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 06:34:04 PM »

I have Shure, which aren't custom but work fine for me needs.

jesseweiss

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »

I have Shure, which aren't custom but work fine for me needs.
And apparently I'm a pirate!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.