ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavy bi-amp questions  (Read 848 times)

Brian Strachan

Re: Peavy bi-amp questions
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 09:04:34 pm »

They will protect themselves, its the subs you need to pay close attention to now for any signs of distress. Make double sure you have an appropriate low cut filter in place.. should be min 4th order right at box tuning frequency or maybe little higher if you want to err on the safe side, and make sure the amp limiter is set conservatively to start with until you see how the subs behave being pushed harder. 
 Yes it does, they are talking total speaker load there and your subs are rated 4ohm.

Got it. I understand now. Fortunately I have way too much setup time for that event which will allow me to experiment and find out where I need to be.

In other news I just picked up some 1 1/8Ē dowl to add a little bracing in the cabinets.

Edit: For those who have braced cabinets, would I be better off just using 2X4 to do that? I have plenty laying around and it's surely be more stable than dowl, but take up volume from the box.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:19:46 pm by Brian Strachan »

Dan Patterson

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 10:26:53 pm »

Got it. I understand now. Fortunately I have way too much setup time for that event which will allow me to experiment and find out where I need to be.

In other news I just picked up some 1 1/8Ē dowl to add a little bracing in the cabinets.

Edit: For those who have braced cabinets, would I be better off just using 2X4 to do that? I have plenty laying around and it's surely be more stable than dowl, but take up volume from the box.

Dan Patterson

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 10:38:53 pm »

hello; first post , please be kind. The Peavey sp 4 is a quasi 3 way box. There are very good presets for this box on the Peavey website. They work best with a Peavey dsp but are workable to a drive rack. I think if you could move laterally and find a same generation sp 118 or 218 you would be very pleased .

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 10:39:01 pm »

The key is adding support without consuming too much cabinet volume which will negatively impact cabinet response, so the dowels are the better option IMO.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2018, 03:44:20 am »

Make double sure you have an appropriate low cut filter in place.. should be min 4th order right at box tuning frequency* or maybe little higher if you want to err on the safe side, and make sure the amp limiter is set conservatively to start with until you see how the subs behave being pushed harder. 
* Looking at the published response graph in the user manual that is about 50hz. This may be yet another surprise for you in how this appears to clash with the simple published spec that rates usable response down to 30hz. They're not lying with that but this is a good example of how the simple specs don't tell the whole story.

Remember the box tuning frequency is not necessarily at the -3dB point, which as you rightly say is quite high; but is at the impedance minima, so about 30 Hz:

David Allred

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2018, 08:27:18 am »

Kudos to Paul for possibly finding the needle in the hay stack.  He might have saved you $1100.  Another reason bridging and bi-amping sometimes cause more headaches than they're worth.  However, in this case, bi-amping actually saved the day because it maybe fixed your sub problem.  Here's to hoping.

Brian Strachan

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2018, 09:31:37 am »

Kudos to Paul for possibly finding the needle in the hay stack.  He might have saved you $1100.  Another reason bridging and bi-amping sometimes cause more headaches than they're worth.  However, in this case, bi-amping actually saved the day because it maybe fixed your sub problem.  Here's to hoping.

He very well might have. Iím going to try the setup on Friday and see where I land, but I very possibly might still move to the QSC amp simply because of the growing room it would give me. I occasionally rent a couple subs to supplement my setup (really only for one venue) and that amp would allow me to run all of them off of it in stereo mode. Regardless Iím happy to have found I was doing something wrong this whole time and Iíve learned from it.

Brian Strachan

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2018, 06:08:58 pm »

Update!

Just finished sound check and WOW.

Reinforcing the cabinets and wiring them properly (lol) made a HUGE difference and put me exactly where I wanted to be all along. Given this, I donít plan on buying a PL380 for now. I know it would perhaps be marginally better and give me growing room, but for where Iím at this is good.

I am waiting for some parts to come in to bi-amp the mains, but otherwise I am set. Thank you very much to everyone who contributed!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 23 queries.