ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer XR18 - Heat and outdoors?  (Read 9569 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Behringer XR18 - Heat and outdoors?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 02:06:14 PM »

The most problems we have had in the sun is Chris's pedal board. At the 4th July show this year all we got was buzzing and he had to abandon using it and unplug. The powered speakers for FOH and monitors were all in the same sun but we had no problems with those. Mixer had shade. Pedal board cooled off and was fine.

I am really careful to try to always access shade - especially for the sensitive equipment but it is not always possible.
I've never had any other piece of equipment go down from heat or sun and in the summer months in both CA (where we lived for 14 years)  and NC ( for the last 12 years) - that is pretty amazing.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »

I don't have an xr but, I do have an x-18, the table top version.  I have used it extensively outside and have not had any issues with it and the heat.  KI have had my ipad overheat on several occasions however.  I also always use a wired computer and a separate access point as well.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 06:55:43 PM »

The most problems we have had in the sun is Chris's pedal board. At the 4th July show this year all we got was buzzing and he had to abandon using it and unplug. The powered speakers for FOH and monitors were all in the same sun but we had no problems with those. Mixer had shade. Pedal board cooled off and was fine.

I am really careful to try to always access shade - especially for the sensitive equipment but it is not always possible.
I've never had any other piece of equipment go down from heat or sun and in the summer months in both CA (where we lived for 14 years)  and NC ( for the last 12 years) - that is pretty amazing.....

Hi Debbie,
I took a guerrilla mixing job for a street festival earlier this year, and once noon came around, the amps started thermalling out.  Keeping the canopy moving was a fools errand. Sun was only one part of a very bad day. Believe me, not having enough "Rig for the Gig" will have you hating life in no time at all.  So, I worry when someone says they have had problems in the heat.

It appears that you have had the proper experience.  Riley with his much larger operation also has operated without incident, as have others.  John is the big exception. 

Weogo, Nice to hear the MR-18 run all day without problem.

Robert - anytime I see a circular venting pattern, I ass-u-me a fan behind.

As far as the iPad overheating - I made the mistake of setting one down on a sunlit table while doing a changeover.  A second iPad is imperative - or maybe I should say a second mixing solution.  As clumsy as it would be, at least one can control the A&H QU-Pac from the front panel. 

A hard-wire solution for the iPad is also prudent for the A&H stuff.  Riley has the right idea having a computer hooked up ready to mix on the XR-18.  That's why he runs with the big dogs - backup plans to backup plans. 

And to chime in with Riley, the WiFi on the XR-18 is marginal, at best, even with a 1/2 wave antenna.  I can't imagine it with the stock 1/4 wave antenna.  Separate AP/router is a  M U S T !!!

Thanks everyone,

frank

Jon Brunskill

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 05:39:57 AM »

Although I haven't tried it, it stands to reason that the internal WiFi card in an XR18 (or any console) will generate heat and so by turning it off and running an external router the console should run a little cooler.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »

I haven't had any issues, but can I point out that the XR18 is black.  We need to be realistic here.  Leave it out in the full sun and the outside will get to 70 degC, when switched off.  It's not because it is Behringer, it's because it is black.

Active electronics and full summer sun don't mix.  Ipads/laptops/phones shut down too.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 11:20:33 AM »

I haven't had any issues, but can I point out that the XR18 is black.  We need to be realistic here.  Leave it out in the full sun and the outside will get to 70 degC, when switched off.  It's not because it is Behringer, it's because it is black.

Active electronics and full summer sun don't mix.  Ipads/laptops/phones shut down too.
You are correct, sir:  Sun and active electronics don't mix, but active electronics is what we use when outdoors.  One has to play the cards dealt.  Screens on digital mixers and other electronics can't be seen in full sun. iPads and Androids shut down. Ol' Sol is not our friend in those cases, but is better than wind and rain, no?  Electronics like driving rain less, but we still would have to deal.

Black? I noticed that fact and noted that in my OP. [/snark]

You also implied that brand was a factor in my OP.  No one should infer my OP had anything to do with Uli. Universal, unsubstantiated, across-the-board Behringer-bashing has become so... passé. 
Now that that's out of the way... [/rude off]

The Behringer XR-18 is a very good mixer for what it is. There are some parts I prefer to my A&H mixers.  I was chasing down a statement from an owner/friend about his experience outdoors, especially considering that I may be asked to use that very same mixer for one of his jobs outdoors.  I wanted to know what to expect.  Was it actually heat  failure that he experienced, or was it before he put a 1/2 wave antenna on it, and went out of range? What to do? Poll the Brain Trust here to get a feel for the situation. 

Black is good for stage, not so much for sun, though black radiates heat better than white. The problem is with outdoor gigs, one is out there from sunup to sundown, and keeping the mixer (or amp, or powered speaker) out of the sun as it moves throughout the day is a challenge.  Some electronics deal with heat better than others. Some designs are more susceptible.  Canopies can really help when the sun is overhead - early and late sun needs another solution.

Big, famous brands are not immune - I have another friend who has some Meyer equipment that thermalled out outdoors - I did not ask about that experience from others in that I'm not going to be using that equipment.

Sean made a post previously in this thread about some white foamboard formed into a box/tent and placed over, in this case, the XR18, for shade yet leaving airspace.  Good idea for many occasions and products. That could benefit anything black in the sun.  Weogo used some wood scraps to raise the mixer slightly so more air could circulate.  Both useful for the XR-18 and most other products in the sun.  BTW, most have not experienced heat issues with the little XR-18.

Thanks for all the observations, experience, and mitigation solutions, and putting up with my being sharp.
frank

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 02:15:41 PM »

While I don't have any of the "X" stuff, I do have the :U: ("Soundcraft") and use the same approach.  Always PC hardwired (U16/U24) as a backup when using my D-Link 2.5/5G routers..

As for heating issues, I've had several situations where my UI's were in direct sun - fortunately not for a full day - but performed fine.  Not placed there on purpose, just out of necessity.  Lucky is probably the word that comes to mind as the first 2 times, I did not have any backup... (:0  ...lesson learned..
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 02:11:45 PM by Will Knight »
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 04:45:35 AM »

Hi Frank,

What I appreciate most in people is that they are frank.  :-)

Sharp is ok too.

Lyle

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 07:51:01 AM »

Our XR18 works just fine in FL summer heat. Just don't let it sit in the sun to bake/melt.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »

Unless you take to each show the appropriate cabling to enable hardwiring from mixer to iPad as back-up - as I always do.

Exactly.  I wouldn't run my XR without a hard wired laptop.  Sometimes with an X-Touch too.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.