ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cables through the crowd area  (Read 8182 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Cables through the crowd area
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »

Dave, I noticed this too and I used small zip ties attached to the dowels in the gaps so they don't move around.

We injected silicone sealant into the end holes.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 11:07:23 PM »

A second attempt at a follow-up.
After talking it over with my employer, we decided cable ramps would be more of a hazard than help.

I came equipped with carpet, gaff tape, and black/yellow tunnel tape.  I ran all cross traffic cables (power/snake/DMX) in rather wide and deep expansion joints in the concrete.  With those tucked down flush to the surface of the sidewalk, I put the tunnel tape over that for visibility, and further tacked down those edges with gaff.  Seems the adhesive on the tunnel tape was not especially tacky in the 28 degree F cold.  No carpet was needed.

Power/DMX was extended past the performance area on the concrete (no stage) over to the rose bed and then to the stage left light stand.  Similarly, power/DMX was run along the restaurant wall to the stage-left light stand.  Light stands were approximately 20' out from the performance area, with the tree directly behind.

My installation looked much better (and flatter) than the power run to the tree, if I do say so myself.  The mains and monitors were powered, and the siamesed cables ran on the surface around stage left to the snake.  Mic cables were similarly routed.

There were no incidents, and I felt very confident with the safety of the setup.  Client was happy with the setup - though in hindsight, the unused carpet, and the empty covers and cases should have been stowed in the van, not by the equipment table.  The appearance was not horrible, but could have been much cleaner by the table.

Thanks for all the input, folks. 

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »

Client was happy with the setup - though in hindsight, the unused carpet, and the empty covers and cases should have been stowed in the van, not by the equipment table.  The appearance was not horrible, but could have been much cleaner by the table.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

Sometimes storing cases/covers by the equipment table "just happens"....as one is going about setting up / spiking cables, etc.  You try to get things done early and then people show up early - and get in the way, thus slowing you down.  This happens more often than not. 
I've used a black table skirt/apron and stored all cases under the FOH table...
A case in point to always have black cases/covers/cables/..... 
When I was building my rigs and while doing so, purchasing racks, there always seemed to be a "special" on blue or red pre-made racks.  I am glad that I didn't bite back then...

Congrats on a successful gig.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »

When running cabling indoors I do everything I can to keep it off of the ground. If there is food being served you can’t have any cabling on the ground (floor) no matter what cable covering you do. If they are wheeling in food carts they will have a problem getting over the cables. And the servers carrying food will trip. A lot of venues that one would need to keep the cabling off of the floor, usually have ways to put the cabling over doorways and running all cabling along the walls. Some even have cable troths under the floor, with a pull line in it. Sometimes this means compromising a little bit on the ideal mix position but not usually too bad.

I'm finding that an increasing number of venues are resistant to gaff tape on the floor. Modern "low VOC" floor finishes do NOT hold up to gaff tape (even if removed after a couple of hours), unlike the older solvent-based varnishes and polyurethanes. It's gotten to the point that I won't even use it on a hard floor anymore.

The latex adhesive used in gaff tape generally won't chemically interact with solvent/oil based finishes, but it appears to chemically bond with the acrylic/latex based finishes that are popular now. The bond between the tape and the finish becomes stronger than the bond between the finish and the floor, in only a few minutes' contact time. When you go to remove the tape, it brings the finish up with it. I guess that's one unintended consequence of "going green."

To go over doorways, I've crafted some magnetic cable hooks (using high-strength magnets salvaged from hard drives). They seem to work fairly well; most commercial facilities have steel door jambs and casing (for interior doors and some exterior doors) that the magnets have no problem holding on to. Obviously, that doesn't work with aluminum frame jambs like you see on storefronts.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

frank kayser

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2019, 06:18:36 PM »

Sometimes storing cases/covers by the equipment table "just happens"....as one is going about setting up / spiking cables, etc.  You try to get things done early and then people show up early - and get in the way, thus slowing you down.  This happens more often than not. 
I've used a black table skirt/apron and stored all cases under the FOH table...
A case in point to always have black cases/covers/cables/..... 
When I was building my rigs and while doing so, purchasing racks, there always seemed to be a "special" on blue or red pre-made racks.  I am glad that I didn't bite back then...

Congrats on a successful gig.

Sounds like you're singing my song... No matter how early, never early enough.
With a rackmount mixer and small DMX controller, I use a 4x2.5 table - not much room underneath.  I also paid extra for brown covers... maybe not the best idea...

frank kayser

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »

I'm finding that an increasing number of venues are resistant to gaff tape on the floor. Modern "low VOC" floor finishes do NOT hold up to gaff tape (even if removed after a couple of hours), unlike the older solvent-based varnishes and polyurethanes. It's gotten to the point that I won't even use it on a hard floor anymore.

The latex adhesive used in gaff tape generally won't chemically interact with solvent/oil based finishes, but it appears to chemically bond with the acrylic/latex based finishes that are popular now. The bond between the tape and the finish becomes stronger than the bond between the finish and the floor, in only a few minutes' contact time. When you go to remove the tape, it brings the finish up with it. I guess that's one unintended consequence of "going green."

To go over doorways, I've crafted some magnetic cable hooks (using high-strength magnets salvaged from hard drives). They seem to work fairly well; most commercial facilities have steel door jambs and casing (for interior doors and some exterior doors) that the magnets have no problem holding on to. Obviously, that doesn't work with aluminum frame jambs like you see on storefronts.

Great warning about the gaff tape on floors.  Test in an inconspicuous area - or find another alternative.

I like your over doorways methods.  I'll steal that soon, imitation being the most sincere form of flattery!

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.