ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo iem mixbus setup  (Read 383 times)

Bob Kidd

Stereo iem mixbus setup
« on: October 19, 2018, 11:16:26 am »

Had band this weekend that ran their own iem stereo monitors. Towards the end guitar player was complaining that his left ear for some instruments was lower than the right. I gave a quick look at bus sends (example: they had bus 3 left and bus 4 right for guitar player) the linked 9&10 channels levels (faders) were not the same on bus 3&4. Meaning bus 3 & 4 working independent. Their using x32, should the buses (3&4) be linked? Would any fader adjustment then done on bus 3 effect bus 4 as well?

Magnus Högkvist

Re: Stereo iem mixbus setup
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 11:25:39 am »

Had band this weekend that ran their own iem stereo monitors. Towards the end guitar player was complaining that his left ear for some instruments was lower than the right. I gave a quick look at bus sends (example: they had bus 3 left and bus 4 right for guitar player) the linked 9&10 channels levels (faders) were not the same on bus 3&4. Meaning bus 3 & 4 working independent. Their using x32, should the buses (3&4) be linked? Would any fader adjustment then done on bus 3 effect bus 4 as well?

Broken ear piece. I've had many Westone (especially 2-ways) that has behaved like that.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 11:33:27 am »

Broken ear piece. I've had many Westone (especially 2-ways) that has behaved like that.

Thought the same thing, however it's just certain instruments and also occurring in other members ears as well. When I went in to monitor mix I noticed guitar fader was lower in bus 3 (left) then bus 4 (right) so brought it up in 3 and guitar player was happy. The guy running iems insist it's in stereo and levels are equal going in so should be equal in ears. I tried to explain that the output to ears aren't the same on bus.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:40:32 pm »

Thought the same thing, however it's just certain instruments and also occurring in other members ears as well. When I went in to monitor mix I noticed guitar fader was lower in bus 3 (left) then bus 4 (right) so brought it up in 3 and guitar player was happy. The guy running iems insist it's in stereo and levels are equal going in so should be equal in ears. I tried to explain that the output to ears aren't the same on bus.
A mono source into a "stereo" bus can be done two ways - either with a fader and a pan control (when the destination bus is actually stereo), or with a fader for the left bus and a fader for the right bus.  In both of these scenarios, the send level for each side of the stereo output can be radically different.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 11:32:33 am »

A mono source into a "stereo" bus can be done two ways - either with a fader and a pan control (when the destination bus is actually stereo), or with a fader for the left bus and a fader for the right bus.  In both of these scenarios, the send level for each side of the stereo output can be radically different.
This last Sat I had a gig where the house provided PA was decent gear but not configured correctly. I won't go into details but suffice to say that ALL speakers (which from what I can tell also include the subs) were setup as full range. NO xover or splits with a DL1608 as mixer with output boosted across the smiley-faced spectrum bu +8dB!  :(

We fed from our TM30 into 2 channels on the DL1608. We couldn't bypass and hook their L/R outs into the TM, ans they used one channel as a DJ feed, and didn't want to re-route.  <sigh>
Anyways.. we worked thru it and adjusted the DL1608 chan EQ to compensate to give us the best sound we could.

This post is about me not having any BASS in my IEM's [I'm the bassist in this band] when we started playing. We had 2 * 1.5 hr sets. I assumed it was due to the EQ adjustments we needed to make to offset the badly configured house system, and soldiered thru with it the whole night. My mix is based on FOH channels, but set my own levels. It's really tough to hear bass when there's no LF being fed to you and offputting as all heck when trying to play, monitor and sing too.
I thought about it on the 1.5 hr drive home and powered up the TM30 the next day.
Poked around and found that this was the EQ setting on my IEM's...    S'plains everything.
There's a low cut filter set around 80hz.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 11:49:05 am »

Question for OP.
Does your band expect all the instruments to be balanced in their ears?  If so, that's effectively a Mono mix.
The non-critical sources for each player should be panned and the critical sources centered.
This allows for better differentiation and lower volume.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.
Inventor.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 04:06:34 pm »

Question for OP.
Does your band expect all the instruments to be balanced in their ears?  If so, that's effectively a Mono mix.
The non-critical sources for each player should be panned and the critical sources centered.

Reference iem mixes - That is pretty much the way our guys do it too Dave.
Each iem user is stereo feed and gets to pan their own channels on their tablets/phones as they see fit.

Regarding channels -eg. We have stereo guitar on channel 7 and 8 linked. Mixer presets 1st linked channel far left and 2nd linked channel far right.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Kidd

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 03:30:33 pm »

Question for OP.

No. Guitarist wants equal levels on certain instruments. Example: his guitar. They signal left ear sent to bus 3 and right to bus 4, however the fader output for each bus is independent and not set at same levels. They do pan certain instruments. I would assume the busses need to be linked and pan to liking? Not my iem unit and don't have access to check routing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.