ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Secure new client  (Read 9354 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Secure new client
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »

Nathan,

This changes things (again). My comments are always based on the information provided. My first response of "take them to lunch" was based on the concept that this was a client you were interested in getting, but you've no connection to the current production.

Then, when you mentioned you've worked there many times as a freelancer, now it's a bad idea to try to "poach" the show, which is what it would be if you were currently working the show. But now, you're saying that it's been over 5 years since you were hired as a freelancer on the show, and before you started the company, which now impacts (again) the answer(s) you're going to get.

Please don't be offended when the answers you get match the information provided to date... I definitely respect you and your character, so don't assume I am not "thinking the best of you." It's just that you might not have considered the ramifications of being a freelancer on a show and wanting to pick up the entire production. I mean, I get it, I've been there, it's a pickle of a position.

-Ray

You're right, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. Sorry.

I just felt that it was generally understood that poaching is wrong and since it is wrong I don't do it given my character and past dealings with clients.
But I didn't take into account the thought of, "Oh no, Nathan might (unknowingly) do something stupid let's help him not do it"

Even if I am fully subbing a show for another company (under their banner), I still do everything I can to make the line invisible. In other words, as far as the client knows, it's still Other_Company's Show. (I'll even change my email sig and Display Name to reflect the other company, although the domain is still mine... And the client's none the wiser, until I have to give them my card with my mobile number in case anything onsite happens, and then I explain the different Co name on my card!)

This is an incredibly mature approach. Impressive! And I'd like to say if I were ever in a similar situation I would do the same (though I wouldn't have thought about changing my signature!) Dang!!

So, with this new information that you haven't worked with the client in over 5 years, and that work totally pre-dates your business, you might be on a bit safer ground offering another option for the client, but tread carefully just the same. Maybe before a direct overture, send them some marketing lit to their general mailing contact. Follow up on the phone in a couple of weeks; "I sent some lit about our production company; can you tell me who is in charge of your events and would have received it?" Now you have a name, and circle back to the lunch idea.

Maybe. Just be careful- you never want to start any sort of rep of poaching shows. :-) Price yourself and your services right, under-promise and over-deliver, and you should be fine.

Thanks for the help, this marketing/sales stuff isn't what I'm naturally good at. I just know I don't want to waste opportunities.

---
As an aside, is offended the right word in this context? [talking to self] Do I get offended? Or is it upset? Hmm, now I need to look up the definition of 'offended' haha.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »

That's an incredibly immature thing to say.

Glad you liked it.  /sarc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »

Building a reputation for covering other people’s shows without dropping your “card” on the client can be extremely good for business.  You are likely to find more work subbing for other companies, than you can get without many years in the business building your list.  Reliable, professional people that do a good job get the work without pissing anyone off.

On the other point, if people locally don’t seem to know you exist, do some advertising, mailshot, etc.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 05:34:46 AM »

Nathan,  I didn't have time to amswer your question,  in fact just got home from tonight's gig.

I don't have a better answer,  it's hard to get people to change production companies.  The devil you know for lack of a better term.

I would tell you that unless you have guys you need to keep busy so they stay on your crew,  dealing with the under $500 gigs is a waste of time.

The sub 5k gigs are too small for the "big guys" and too big for the trunk slammers. 

The reason I mention this is you have talked about trying to walk existing clients up the revenue ladder.  This too is hard to so.

So if your conscience is clear and you have run a similar size show for reference then go for it.  Hopefully they know your reference.

Good luck.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »

Nathan, check into the gossip.

If the rumor is the provider is giving up the venue then maybe you can go chat with the current provider. Ask straight up, “I heard a rumor that you are letting go of xvenue”. Maybe they confirm it. If so, ask if it ok for you to talk to the venue.

If the rumor is the venue is planning to drop the current provider, see if you can learn more and have a chat with them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Roland Clarke

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »

If the rumor is the provider is giving up the venue then maybe you can go chat with the current provider. Ask straight up, “I heard a rumor that you are letting go of xvenue”. Maybe they confirm it. If so, ask if it ok for you to talk to the venue.

If the rumor is the venue is planning to drop the current provider, see if you can learn more and have a chat with them?

This would worry me more.  Knowing this game, gigs tend to need prying out of others dead hands.  If someone is giving up a gig, there are probably many reasons you should run!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 12:21:44 AM »

This would worry me more.  Knowing this game, gigs tend to need prying out of others dead hands.  If someone is giving up a gig, there are probably many reasons you should run!

A provider may decide that they are no longer wanting this sort of gig because they have developed another line.

I know a local sound company that gave up doing bands and now focuses on A/V for colleges and universities in the area. Much more profitable and no annoying prima donnas.
Oh, and the hours are much more civilized.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »

As far as I understand the rumor/gossip the venue is dropping the provider.

I could understand why because the provider uses 9x K12's a side as their mains. Halloo combfilter anyone?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »

I could understand why because the provider uses 9x K12's a side as their mains. Halloo combfilter anyone?

I'm sure that sounds terrible. 

But..  I would bet 100 bucks that's not the reason that they are considering changing providers....  It may be a symptom, but i doubt it's the driving factor.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »

9x K12s a side?!?!?
The only reason I can ever see for doing that is for a Grateful Dead-style system, and I'd bet money they're not running it that way.

I agree with Brian that 18x K12s probably isn't the main reason the venue is looking to change providers, but I'd say it's a symptom of someone that doesn't understand sound reinforcement. Who knows what the rest of the operation looks like.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 23 queries.