ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor speakers for organ  (Read 3707 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Monitor speakers for organ
« on: October 28, 2018, 06:43:03 PM »

I'm looking for some suitable monitor speakers for our church organ, an Allen model 200-B.

The problem is that the placement of the organ speakers, while they are good for the congregation, kind of overshoot the organist. That means that the organists can't hear the organ as well as they'd like.

The church seats about 100. The sanctuary is about 25’ x 50', with a 22' high barrel ceiling. Wood walls, carpeted floor, oadded pews. The organ speakers, which do not run through the sound system (the organ and speakers are standalone) are mounted on the front wall (behind the pulpit) hard against the side walls, about 10' above the sanctuary floor. The organ console is in front of the congregation, just before the dais, hard against one wall. The organist faces the congregation, with the console between them and the congregation.

There is little room for a monitor on the floor beside the organist. I an wondering about the suitability of a pair of small studio monitors (5” maybe) set on top of the organ console, facing the organist. Only the organ would play through the monitors; no other channels would be mixed in.

Your thoughts?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Monitor speakers for organ
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »

Why not a pair of powered Hotspots?  With a little creativity you might be able tap off the organ speaker outputs and not even tie into the sound system?
Steve Swaffer

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 01:19:14 AM »

You can likely use an RCA Y-cable and pull a signal from just before the power amp inside the organ. From there you can run an isolator and send signal off to wherever you need.

There are tons of small, powered speakers you could use. What's your budget look like?

I'm looking for some suitable monitor speakers for our church organ, an Allen model 200-B.

Your thoughts?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »

Most of the Allen church organs I've seen have an elaborate multi channel amp system with dozens of speakers to kind of recreate the multi stop pipe organ feel.

Not sure if there is a common mixed output to use as a feed.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »

Most of the Allen church organs I've seen have an elaborate multi channel amp system with dozens of speakers to kind of recreate the multi stop pipe organ feel.

This organ has only two speaker outputs. I do wonder how much the speaker cabinets have to do with the voicing.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.