ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running a small funktion one system in a hockey arena  (Read 1552 times)

Jesse Scott

Running a small funktion one system in a hockey arena
« on: November 16, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »

Hello, long time lurker first time poster here.

My boss wants me to set up our system in a hockey arena, but I'm worried that our main system is too small, so I'm hoping someone could offer a bit of advice.

What we have for the main system :
8 x funktion one 21" subs
4 x funktion one evo6 tops

Normally I just set them up as 2 stacks, but in a hockey arena I would want to use a lot more speakers spaced out. We do have a lot of jbl prx speakers and subs, a few ev etx tops and subs, and some qsc k12's. My thought is to set up delay stacks with the jbl, but my boss really wants to just use the funktion one. He wants to use the jbl's for a second stage, but I am feeling like delay stacks are necessary for the arena stage.

Does anyone with experience in hockey arenas have any advice or tips? Should I stick to my guns and demand the delay stacks?

Edit: I thought there were bleachers, but it looks like there isn't. Just concrete walls around the rink.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:12:41 PM by Jesse Scott »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Running a small funktion one system in a hockey arena
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:00:48 PM »

Seems like the usual more info required.
Is this for a band?
Seating on the rink?
It always help to have too much info when you ask these questions.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jesse Scott

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! Please excuse my newbie status, I have great respect for the wisdom of this community, and I want to get better with my posts here.

The music will be electronic, techno and psytrance. So powerful tight bass with lots of transients. No seating, the rink will be all dance floor, with the idea of having the full space useable and sounding good. I unfortunately don't have room measurements, the pictures look like a standard hockey rink with concrete walls just outside. The floor is concrete as well. I have not seen any photos of the ceiling, but I'm assuming that it's a very high ceiling, as they usually are in hockey rinks.

Is there any other useful information I should include?

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 10:32:57 AM »

All that concrete including the floor will make "tight bass" pretty tough, maybe impossible. If they fill the place it will help. Get your mains up high if possible pointing down to the crowd, and if it's you standard size arena you might find less is more.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! Please excuse my newbie status, I have great respect for the wisdom of this community, and I want to get better with my posts here.

The music will be electronic, techno and psytrance. So powerful tight bass with lots of transients. No seating, the rink will be all dance floor, with the idea of having the full space useable and sounding good. I unfortunately don't have room measurements, the pictures look like a standard hockey rink with concrete walls just outside. The floor is concrete as well. I have not seen any photos of the ceiling, but I'm assuming that it's a very high ceiling, as they usually are in hockey rinks.

Is there any other useful information I should include?

"Standard" hockey ice is roughly 85ft x 200ft.

I agree that doing EDM is this big "boom box" will not be impressive for acoustic reasons alone.  You'll live.  Keep the subs from over-excursion and overheating and you'll live to see another day.  Great? No.  Optimal?  Hardly.  But you'll have a gig done and a paycheque.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 11:59:30 AM »

Does anyone with experience in hockey arenas have any advice or tips? Should I stick to my guns and demand the delay stacks?

Dress warm?  I once played at a fundraiser, on a platform just above the ice, and it was the coldest gig I ever experienced (keep in mind we toured the far upper Midwest U.S.).

Does the promoter expect to fill the entire floor with people?  Your F1 system will probably suffice if they're clustered toward the stage.   IMHO, better to have one, good sounding system - even if undersized for the room - than to introduce a mixture of boxes for coverage.  In any event, one wouldn't have subs at the delay locations and the tops should be High Passed to minimize mud.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 11:59:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.