ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend and HDMI Extender system  (Read 10154 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Recommend and HDMI Extender system
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:53 PM »

Hi Folks,

Pro sound guy / novice AV guy here.  I'm bidding on a gig that includes video presentation.  I expect that i'll need to connect presenter's laptops to an HDMI input in the equipment rack some 75' away (allowing for tidy but temporary cable routing)

I see some inexpensive options that have a paired transmitter and receiver with a Cat5 connection between them, for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Extender-Ethernet-Twin-Pack/dp/B00OZV04BK

... Are these appropriate for professional deployment?  Would you recommend something different?

Many thanks
Peter

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Recommend and HDMI Extender system
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »

Check out Atlona, Extron, Magenta Research, Hall Research, etc.

Get some great Cat6 STP cable, tactical, not cheap, for live work.  With spare in case you need to make more/longer quickly.

HDCP 2.2, HDR, 4K, whatever is most current.  You don't want CEO de jour to plug in his/her shiny new tech toy and you have to tell him/her, "Sorry I ruined your presentation, but I saved $100!"

Watch specs for max distance, test in shop first to confirm, it's better to have longer distance capability and not use it than vice versa. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:51:38 PM »

I’d recommend Redmere HDMI cables and whatever adapter you need to make the connection.

Are you providing the laptop and/or switcher?
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »

Thanks fellas,

I'm not providing the laptop, but I do intend to ensure that my personal macbook is rock solid and available as a backup.  The event is a series of Athlete slideshow / talks; I anticipate a bit less Ego and Pomp than a typical corporate presentations.  Still, reliability is critical.

There IS a VGA input at the lectern; for whatever reason they didn't install HDMI there.  I'll plan to have VGA adaptors available as a last resort, but would prefer HDMI.

Would you anticipate any significant performance / reliability difference between a Cat5 extender system and a 100' active Redmere cable?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 11:10:02 PM »

Pick up a couple Decimator MD-HX units and connect via SDI.  It's reliable, locking connectors for the long run, and very pro.  With a second cable run you can feed a DSM as well from the same equipment.  Built in Down/Up/Cross on both ends to help with resolution issues.  Decimators (in my experience) strip off HDCP which cleans things up for you.  Being SDI based also sets you up to use the gear for big-boy video work too should that ever come into your future.

Oh yeah, 100M cable length max.  Much better, easier, more reliable, and less finicky than trying to run a HDMI cable 75'.

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 09:06:11 AM »

All the brands mentioned above have products that will work fine. To make sure HDCP doesn't rear up its nasty little head as you are going HDMI to HDMI (the rack input to the projection system is HDMI) I would stick with a HDBaseT solution and get good cabling.
There are ways to Strip the HDCP from an input but if you don't need to do it just go with HDBaseT.
If you are doing video production and have control of the content and have live cameras and content from a presenters laptop to input to your production system then you'll work with SDI.

I have used Atlona, Kane, Extron,and Decimator products. Both the HDMI and HDBaseT extenders, converters and scalers.   I live in academia so I have to deal with HDCP, no SDI love for me (. Heck we will still see laptops with VGA as poor instructors can't afford USB-C.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »

I bought a 120’ HDMI cable with an amplifier built in. It was powered by a USB plug at the source end. Worked fine for me until I needed 140’.
I then used an HDMI base T set with a 150’ cat-6 cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 09:44:31 AM »

We have a bunch of the Theatrixx units, mainly HDMI to HDSDI and the HDSDI to HDMI at the other end. Long runs of HDSDI between the boxes.

http://www.theatrixx.com/en/products/video/x-vision/xvision-converters/

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »

We have a bunch of the Theatrixx units...
Steve,

Do you love those things are much as I do?

I think they’re great for their purpose - signal conversion, a re-clocked split, and power passthrough all in a sturdy shell.
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »

Steve,

Do you love those things are much as I do?

I think they’re great for their purpose - signal conversion, a re-clocked split, and power passthrough all in a sturdy shell.

Jordan,
I’m not on the road anymore but our guys are always requesting those things for the events we do. Our 20 or so “kits” have HDMI-SDI and SDI-HDMI with 250’ HDSI cable between them. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 5000k projector or a 20k the boxes just work.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.